What my $299 will get me

griz_fan

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 13, 2004
Meridian, Idaho
OK - fighting back the information overload, I think I understand my options. I've been one of those Dish customers waiting for the dust to settle before moving to HD from Dish. Right now, I have a Dish 500, a 522 and a 510, with the 510 plugged into my HDTV.

So, for $299 (which I consider reasonable, IMHO) I could get the following:

• Swap out the 510 for the 622
  • Service call to install the 622
  • Run any extra cabling
  • Sounds like I'll need a 2nd dish? I'm assuming that, if so, that would be included as well.
  • It is probably at least a year out before Boise, ID gets HD locals via the Dish, would Dish then also install a roof-top antenna for local HD?

If that's the case, I'll probably go for this offer.

Any word on an expiration date for this offer?
I imagine there will be a rush come Feb 1, and I'll also need to sweet-talk the Family Capital Budget Committee (i.e. my wife) into cutting loose an extra 300 bucks, plus the extra month costs, so that could put me a few months out.

Finally, any word on whether or not the 622 will have NBR? It seems like it will, but I haven't been able to find confirmation.

thanks!

Sounds about right. I dont think the install price includes the price to install an antenna. You can work that out with the installer. I would recommend getting something good like Channel Master, antennadirect or Winegard. Stay away from Terk and other more commercial brands.

Finally found the post. On post 179 on http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51385&page=18, BFG mentioned this:

Also note Dish will be like voom when they say markets not in HD from dish will use in off air picture, because at the show dish had a Wingard Square Shooter with "Dish HD" painted on it, so it looks like dish will be installing OTA antennas in February

So I'm hoping his info is correct, that would be a nice bonus. I have a Silver Sensor sitting on top of my TV that gets the job done, but needs to be moved around a bit for certain channels. Overall, good results (6 OTA digital channels, 5 w/HD), but I'd want something more reliable for recording purposes.

Any word on NBR for the 622? That would be yet another reason to move up from my 510.

I've also been trying to find out about NBR on the 622. I was afraid to ask, though.

I read a thread earlier today about the antenna, but I didnt pay much attention because I have one already, sorry. I would agree that you should stay away from anything that is given to you.

bryan92 said:
I've also been trying to find out about NBR on the 622. I was afraid to ask, though.
I read a thread earlier today about the antenna, but I didnt pay much attention because I have one already, sorry. I would agree that you should stay away from anything that is given to you.
Well, if they do throw in a Winegard Square Shooter, that should be plenty for my needs. I'm getting pretty good results with a $30 indoor antenna, and I've heard good things about Winegard. If it was a Terk, I'd be worried ;0)

On a complete side note: How's things looking for GSU football this fall? Maybe Georgia Southern and Montana will hook up again in the 1-AA playoffs!

Installation of an OTA antenna will cost $50

Yes, the 622 has NBR (the specs are the same as the 942 so look at those for an idea, the new stuff is an ethernet port, MPEG4 encoding, and Video-On-Demand)

Sorry, I didn't notice which antenna they were going to give.

GSU- It has us very worried. We know nothing except option, so it will be a challenge. We also have never had to rely on transfers, and were just dealt our first blow. Alex Mortensen (son of NFL anaylist Chris) transferred last Friday, and day before yesterday hauled ass and dropped out of school. :eek: Having said all that, my wife is VanGorders secretary, so I do get good scoop and it looks very promising. Hey, if nothing else we should have a good defense (we haven't had one of those since we played Youngstown in the championship the year before we played yall). I would also like to say I have the utmost respect for your program and good luck. That just made me remember the first time we played yall. I was home on leave from the Marines and went to the football game with my parents. It was cold and sleeting and the minute I saw the Griz walk on the field, I new we were going to get our ass stomped. Luckily it didn't turn out that way, but again, you have much to be proud of and here is hoping to a home and home sometime.

BFG said:
Installation of an OTA antenna will cost $50
Yes, the 622 has NBR (the specs are the same as the 942 so look at those for an idea, the new stuff is an ethernet port, MPEG4 encoding, and Video-On-Demand)

$50 for installation? Is that all? and would that be a side job to ask the Dish Installer to do?I started another thread for advice on an OTA antenna. Can someone tell me a good antenna thats not too big? I live about 25 miles from where all the majors have their towers here near DC.

Thanks!

David

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts