What New HD & SD Channels Will be Offered - 1st Quarter 05 ???

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
What HD and SD channels will we be getting next? Since Rainbow DBS maintains their silence about these issues, I thought I would solicit your thoughts and ideas. Anyway, here is my take on the subject:

New HD Channels: The general consensus is that VOOM has reached maximum channel capacity after recently adding WUSA and the two FSNs. I just don't see any more HD channels coming until after they transition to MPEG-4/WM9 (SD channels) in January, which will free up additional transponder space for both SD and HD. During the 1st quarter 2005, I see the following HD channels being added to the line-up: AMC-HD, IFC-HD, WE-HD and perhaps the INHDs in order to appease the masses. This course of action makes perfect sense to me. Here are my reasons:

Reason #1 - Rainbow DBS needs money and AMC, IFC and WE are money making machines. Rainbow Media can sell these three HD channels to other DBS and Cable providers. Remember, one of VOOM's competitive advantages is they produce their own programming and can therefore increased revenue by selling these HD channels.

Reason #2 - Creating HD content for all three channels will be cost effective because HD facilities are already being used to create VOOM HD Exclusive content.

Reason #3 - There is already a great deal of available HD content created for Cinema10 that can be passed to the new HD channels...and vice-versa. Sure, we may have already seen it several times...but Joe Schmoe hasn't seen it on his Adelphia or Comcast cable service.

Reason #4 - While Rainbow Media can actually market and sell programming for these three HD channels, there is no way in hell they are going to get rid of their 21 HD Exclusives. Why? Because it is valuable Niche Market advantage! Of course, we all expecting the HD Exclusives to continue to evolve over time.

Reason #5 - Expect to see the INHDs, AMC, IFC and WE on VOOM much sooner than on D* or E*. Why? Because Rainbow Media owns AMC, IFC and WE and can offer favorable terms to Cable providers - a little tit for tat. As Bennie Hill used to say, "TAT!" :yes Comparatively speaking, it costs them peanuts to produce HD content for these three channels since they own the production facilities and the licensing business is already in place. As I said, Cable providers will be more than happy to negotiate favorable terms with Rainbow Media (INHDs<--->AMC, IFC and WE).

Reason #6 - With 35k subscribers, and with a potential niche market of 1.5 to 2.0 million customers, Cable does not see VOOM as direct competition at this time. It would benefit both parties to negotiate favorable terms as they compete against D* and E* for subscribers. Since Dolan is a Cable Guy...this may actually work. In fact, it is quite possible for Cuban to wind up with a namesake stuck up his proverbial you-know-what. :eek:

Impact Items #1 - Voom can't wait on this one; they can not fall asleep at the wheel yet again! Of course, with only 35k active subs it is possible to move quickly to implement the following items just as long as they and their partners, Installs Inc. & Sears & others, have their collective acts together: (All customers will receive prior written notification of upcoming changes and a schedule of completion)

*Note: It is important to note that the new dish, DVR, and MPEG-4/WM9 modules need to occur at roughly the same time in order to limit logistical problems and expenseS associate with Installs Inc. performing multiple service calls.
  • New dish will be installed (October - December) if possible.
  • Customer orders for the new DVR will be accepted starting 1 November.
  • Customers will be informed that MPEG-4/WM9 modules will be mailed out the first week of January.
  • Those not wanting to install their own module should call 1-800-GET-VOOM to schedule an installation appointment.

Impact Item #2 - Sorry, but I just don't see VOOM being too excited about adding subscribers until after much of the above is in place. Of course, they are busy planning this evolution and should have all major Vendors on-site to support this evolution...so it may be possible to perform the upgrades and begin a major marketing campaign at the same time.

Impact Item #3 - The Marketing Campaign begins:
  • Current customers will be given an opportunity to maintain their existing "no contract" purchase/rental subscription or subscribe to a 1 year lease/purchase contract.
  • There will be pricing/equipment or other incentives involved to keep existing customers for this 1 year period...your guess is as good as mine.
  • New customers will be offered a "free installation"/no equipment to buy offer in exchange for a 1 year service agreement.
  • VOOM will announce the 5 new HD channels and perhaps 1 or two others (Wealth-HD?): 45 seems to be good number in my book!
  • Sears stores will all have a new VOOM display (this is happening right now!) and installation personnel will be better trained at Installs Inc. (which is happening to some degree).

New SD Channels: I expect that many of the cable favorites (Sci-Fi, HGTV, Food Lifetime, etc.) will be added during 1st Quarter 05 along with a few religious and home shopping channels in order to round out the lineup. Yep, as part of their business model they will need to appease the masses! Again, Rainbow Media can negotiate favorable terms because they own AMC, IFC, WE and their newly created HD equivalents. Of course, these new SD channels will be part of the larger marketing plan to solicit new customers.

Miscellaneous Items: I see potential for VOOM offering an HDTV ONLY subscription for those who wish to maintain their lifeline or basic cable service. The HDTV ONLY package would offer the 18 inch dish, STBs (this could be refurbished equipment), "no contact" requirement and a small $99 installation fee. Of course, the installation fee could be waived with a 6 month service agreement.

Anyway, this is what I speculate will happen in the coming months, but what the hell do I know! What do you think?

NOTE: Lurkers, Spammers and former VOOM customers need not post to this thread...unless you have something of substance to contribute.

WOW! Amazing business structure you have there. I vote for you as Business Marketing CO for Voom. That all makes perfect sense. But we all know how suits work in upper management. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Augurr

riffjim4069 said:
...Anyway, this is what I speculate will happen in the coming months, but what the hell do I know! What do you think?
Interesting thinking, in line with your other posts I have enjoyed, and an optimistic picture which I hope comes to pass.

A couple of thoughts...

I suspect we are more likely to see the Voom exclusives eventually made available on other providers than we are to see Voom discontinue them. The Voom founders have guessed right before about content with AMC and IFC, and they probably have a good sense of what a large segment of HD viewers want to see and cannot get elsewhere. (Anyway, they sure got me pegged!!)

Also, your idea about the delayed mass marketing plan fits the evidence. Didn't they run out of customer equipment a month or so ago?? If they had been planning to catch up with 2 million installations, why did they run out of equipment after only 20 thousand? They are fine-tuning the product and doing the other things you mention before they go to the mass-market.

I like you're idea and agree especially with IFC showing some kung-fu movies lately, heh. However if Rainbow can raise the capital now, they should upgrade current subs to WM9 and/or Elliptical dishes BEFORE the end of this year, while the subs are lower, if they start a good marketing campaign and make people sign contracts and waive the $200 install fee I see them getting lots of subs soon.

My in-laws want to go to Voom they are waiting for their D* contract to expire, I hope I can find someone who can swindel them $200 install fee.

Hey, riffjim4069, where does PPV fit your scenario?

My wife is hoping HD PPV comes out soon. She complains that even the premium channel movies are too old.

The only thing I have never liked about PPV is that they only show one movie at time per PPV channel. I would like to see a HD DVR first, and a PPV channel that has a 4-5 PPV movie rotation that we can record, with only 2 or 3 PPV channels total.

I like the Business proposition, but there really does need to be a tight time line.
Stretching out the DVR past Jan 1st is problematic because other options are going to open up to voomers. I am a firm believer in Voom, but if my cable company (which I hate) takes care of some internal problems and offers a HD DVR, I will be pretty tempted to leave. Voom needs to communicate more openly. I understand and appreciate when things do not happen as fast as promised, but tell us what you are doing. I will wait only if I am confident that Voom is honestly working toward becoming the best HD provider with the best technology possible..
So to be productive in my criticism
1. Time is important in new product development
2. Communications is important to build trust

I purposely did not view this thread the past 24 hours since I was hoping to look today and see that it was not hijacked by the VOOM Forum Scumbags (aka The Less Than Magnificent Seven). Apparently the ill-willed, uncivilized, uneducated, filth-ridden, flea-infested scum-dogs of society can't read, heed, and leave. Yikes! Anyway, it looks like Sean did quite a bit of house cleaning despite my asking The Great Unwashed not to pollute this thread. :yikes

I have only been with VOOM for 4 1/2 months, but they offer the most HD, it's offered at a fair market price, and they seem to be doing several very innovative and creating things. As many of you will certainly attest, there has been numerous technical problems with the service, marketing plans have lacked focus and direction, installations have far too often been a living hell-on-earth :dev , and VOOM typically doesn't inform us of their plans...we only find out when they are filing SEC forms and when seeking capital funding. Almost all of us have been critical of VOOM on multiple occasions. :shh

In spite of all their problems and my, at times, harsh criticism, the VOOM service has been a valuable and reliable service in our home. I now find it hard to watch SD programming and, given a choice, will almost always go with the HD over SD...even when the PQ is soft or the transfer is grainy. (Sorry, can't do mosquito noise! !protest ) So while I am hopeful the service will continue to improve, I find myself wondering what the hell is VOOM/Rainbow/CableVision doing? And why do they only have 35k subscribers at this time? :confused: Well, you will be happy to know that IMO the first year of VOOM is basically going to be written off as a testing phase...with CableVision share-holders footing the bill. That, in and of itself, is something for share-holders to get pissed about. :mad: VOOM wasn't prepared to become a viable DBS provider and it has shown.

Obviously, the Wall Street pundits are not singing VOOM's praises...however someone is going to realize VOOM's potential and will fund them for the next 18 months. However, this time investors will be looking to safeguard their investment and, under no circumstance, will they allow VOOM to operate as one of Dolan's pet projects. Rainbow Enterprises will need to turn a profit down the road or surely, as all the Panty Wasters of this Forum have proclaimed, "VOOM will be DOOM!"

Anyway, I have no idea what VOOM is going to do...just wanted to toss-out my thoughts on how VOOM may morph into a competitive DBS provider and see what interesting comments come back. Who knows, perhaps Dolan will pull a Rigas (Adelphia) and swindle the investors and bankrupt Rainbow. :shocked

Voom had better be ready earlier or scratch 2005---Most tv's (hdtvs this year) will be sold between thanksgiving (sales for christmas) untill Super bowl (big push) i think they sell 75% of new TV's during that period

rang1995 said:
Voom had better be ready earlier or scratch 2005---Most tv's (hdtvs this year) will be sold between thanksgiving (sales for christmas) untill Super bowl (big push) i think they sell 75% of new TV's during that period
Great point! :) I wrote VOOM and asked them if they were trying to enter Wal-Mart stores. The canned response was that all retailers were free to contact VOOM if they wish to sell their products. Needless to say, I wrote back telling them to ki$$ Wal-Mart's a$$ in order get shelf space in their stores.

I wrote Voom and told them to use nukes and knock other satellites out of the sky. They sent me a job application.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts