What OTA antenna should I get?

Optical Serenity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
Marietta,GA
Here is my Antennaweb.org chart showing that I'm about 20 miles or so from all the Atlanta HD OTA signals. Yes, I have DirecTV's local HD channels, but trees are causing issues with that. And I want a "backup" plan. At any rate, my Samsung LCD tv has a built in HD-OTA tuner and so does my DirecTV's H-20 receiver.

antennaweb.jpg

Attachments

• antennaweb.jpg
    antennaweb.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
I would use the winegard HD7084, great ant has a 60 to 80 mile range runs about 80.00, there are smaller ones I have had success with this one, great success. Bigger is better. Have seen terk ones 20 miles is pretty close if you get a better/bigger one you might pull stuff from other cites, IMO. There are ant suggegtions All over this site. Small questions are inside outside , two story or single, are you handy or not, will the wife let you put it on the roof or not. The wqay you want to mount it and where is a big element as to which one. again 20 miles is close. Peace

Ok for some reason my server is being goofy, so I just attached the chart.

I don't care where I put it, but if I do it myself, I have a two story house and I'm not super good at getting way up there with a ladder.

And as far as far out stations, sure, it would be cool to get HD OTA stations for further away, but really I'm more focused on getting just the locals here...

Optical Serenity said:
And as far as far out stations, sure, it would be cool to get HD OTA stations for further away, but really I'm more focused on getting just the locals here...
You can not get anymore than you have in ATL.
Mount in the attic. Or call an installer.

Trust me you will not have any problems with any of those antennas these guys have suggested. I live in Jackson Co. about 1 hour northeast from Atlanta and my set up is... CM3020 unamped with RG-6 to ground block straight to the tv in on my Hitachi. I am able to pickup 2.1, 5.1, 11.1, 11.2, 17.1, 36.1, 43.1, 46.1, 34.1, 34.2 and some Christian channels in HD. All range between 50% to 90% signal quality and have not had any problems.

OTA DXing is pretty fun though (trying to pick up out-of-market stations). I will say this...even though those DirecTVs HD channels may be okay, the HD locals OTA will probably look better since they won't be as compressed as DirecTVs. More compression means more pixelized and more nasty looking. I wouldn't trade my OTA antenna for anything. And it's FREE!

I am using an older radioShack Vu-160 with a 35db amp and a rotor. About 5 years old. I have huge pines behind the house and they can be a multi-path pain the ass. I have Dish HD locals also. PQ is identical with both.

Free and better

xccell said:
You know that really sucks you have to PAY for crappy tv.

Well, come join us in the FTA area. We get great looking content for FREE! Just equipment costs, and you can usually find dishes for free if you look hard enough. IMO, it's an awesome hobby...and it pays for itself over time. With my OTA antenna and FTA dish, I'm happy. I get almost all the college football games on the weekends for free. And it looks alot better than D*/E*.

Anyways, I would make the effort to install an antenna in attic atleast. Indoor antennas work SOMETIMES but aren't always that great when weather conditions get bad. They're more reliable and stable. And, plus, you can get far away stations if you're lucky. I have my antenna about 20-25ft in the air...works great and no amp on it either. I can turn it and get WBTV in Charlotte which is over 100 miles away! And it's not even as big as the 4228!

dashaund said:
Well, come join us in the FTA area. We get great looking content for FREE! Just equipment costs, and you can usually find dishes for free if you look hard enough. IMO, it's an awesome hobby...and it pays for itself over time. With my OTA antenna and FTA dish, I'm happy. I get almost all the college football games on the weekends for free. And it looks alot better than D*/E*.

Anyways, I would make the effort to install an antenna in attic atleast. Indoor antennas work SOMETIMES but aren't always that great when weather conditions get bad. They're more reliable and stable. And, plus, you can get far away stations if you're lucky. I have my antenna about 20-25ft in the air...works great and no amp on it either. I can turn it and get WBTV in Charlotte which is over 100 miles away! And it's not even as big as the 4228!

Wow, thanks for the tip I will check out FTA now!