What OTA USB Unit to Look For, For a Hopper/Sling

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WB9SBD

Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
La Valle, WI. U.S.A.
I just a week or so ago Up-Graded to a Hopper With Sling.

Now I want to add the OTA adapter so I can insert my OTA signals into the Hopper.

This I'm seeing is simply a USB connected device that I just connect my OTA Antenna to, and then scan bla bla bla.

Now I know the whole story about Dish not having any at all anymore UG! And that you can still get them online like at Amazon and many others.

BUT......... And there always seems to be a BUT isn't there?

I am seeing many many different models, with very huge varying in prices.

I am in a semi weaker signal area. On my regular TV I get good signals ( 45 of them) So I am looking for help as to what model to look for that will work with my Hopper/Sling machine.

Thank You ALL!!!

Joe

Just FYI for the OP...while the new OTA adapter in that link is a "dual-tuner" model, be advised that currently it will only function as a single-tuner until sometime this summer when Dish releases new software to activate the second on-board tuner on the adapter.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just be aware that in order to get program guide information Dish still requires you to subscribe to locals. I have Flex Pack, and when I dropped locals because I can get them over the air with this adapter, my program info went away. It shows the channels in yellow and you can watch them, but you don't know what is on because there is no info. Makes it impossible to use the DVR for OTA channels. So I had to resubscribe to locals just to get the guide.

Makes it impossible to use the DVR for OTA channels. So I had to resubscribe to locals just to get the guide.
Unless you set manual timers based on other guide info, ie, Zap To It. Of course, there will be no program name for the recording, but can be renamed, I believe.

OK,
Get the OTA unit,
Scan, bla bla bla,
Now if I do "NOT" have the"Locals" subscribed I will NOT see programming details.
But If I do have them suscribed I will correct?
So I'll have double channels then too correct?
Via Dish, & Via the OTA unit... Yes?

Now how about the sub channels?
Like here in Madison WI. the main ABC affiliate is 27.1 with the main ABC programming and is exactly yhe same as what Dish gives me.

NOW,, the sub channels like 27.2, 27.3, 27.4 etc, how do they appear?

NOW,, the sub channels like 27.2, 27.3, 27.4 etc, how do they appear?

First, you are correct on your assumptions as far as the "main" ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. OTA channels.

The Subchannels are a bit trickier, and will vary widely based on city. Dish started adding OTA subchannel guide data some years ago, but they reached a point where they stopped adding new ones several years ago. The ones they added have remained and are kept current with guide data. The ones they never added or that came along since, get no data at all. You can still watch them perfectly fine, and you can set manual timers based on time/channel to record them, but obviously no name-based recording will work on the channels w/o guide data.

OK, Hopefully One More Question,

Hopper has 3 ummm "Active" Recievers,

Does the OTA use up one of those? or is it like another?

Like say you are recording 3 seperate channels on the original 3 from the Hopper, then at the same time can ya watch one from the OTA?

I don't even want to try to understand how it can with the prime time thing how one channel can at the same time record the 4 major networks, UG!?

Joe

Hopper has 3 ummm "Active" Recievers,

Does the OTA use up one of those? or is it like another?

The OTA adapter adds an additional tuner that is just for OTA. So you can watch/record the three Sat tuners, and still watch or record one OTA channel a the same time. :)

It is an ebay seller with 100% positive feedback with 83 sells in the last month and he has sold over 75 OTA dongles. Should be fine. If something about that guy bothers you search "Hopper OTA" on ebay or amazon

Dish Depot is where many here have purchased them.

This is all I've been getting from dishdepot.com lately:

Capture.PNG

Edited to add that it just worked on IE. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts