what parts should you have on hand?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

woodheat/nooil

SatelliteGuys Pro
My CHIETA 4x1 DiSEqC Switch died last night it was two years old. It was on a Visionsat IV 200. I would have to go in the dish set-up menu and turn the lnb on and off sometimes to make it work. Now the IV 200 came with a DiSEqC Switch but it took me sometime to find the little box with all my junk. I am thinking of buying a plastic storage box for parts for my free to air system. Now how big a box would you get and what is the best way to store them. I had a Norsat Norstar C band lnb sent to me on a warranty when I got into this hobby. The dealer made a sale of new lnbs and C/KU feed horn. When I got the spare one from Norsat I put it on a shelf.

Ten years the C-band lnb that I brought stopped working, but I had the one Norsat sent me on the shelf. It lasted two weeks then died. No warranty on old parts from them. Is it better to buy "new" all the time? I have two old fortec's, three lnbf's, rg-6 crimper, some other cable tools. When I can I would like to place an order and only one shipping fee for parts. Computers are always upgrading as soon as you get one? I have an old dell 500mhz with win98. It works but will the parts I buy today work with the new FTA HD units for tomorrow?

I'd say the essential tools for FTA are a compression fitting tool with a good supply (at least 25) of compression fittings, a coax stripper, at least a couple of short 'F' jumper cables, an angle finder, a socket set, a small TV or portable DVD player with video in capability, and a compass (only if you are installing a dish and have no directional reference). I keep a small F-fitting wrench on my keychain. Not sure who sells these, but I got a heaping handful of them at the SatCon convention in NYC this past October. I've probably left some useful items out, but those are essential.

As for parts, extra LNBFs, DiSEqC switches, and 22k switches are always good. Its also a good idea to keep some spare new bolts and nuts that match the ones on your dish and motor, as these tend to corrode in wet climates. Zip ties are also handy, as the sun will deteriorate anything plastic left out there.

The one thing I will make sure is that I can find it when I did it! I have spare parts for my c-band dish one old working jack and a new one too. Feed horn and lnb an old Satron 5000 low noise converter. A place to put all my fta stuff is a must for the new year. No off air stuff here just dvb stuff and some channels on Star Choice the Fire Log channel is my favorite. We still have more wood to split here.

"when I did it!?" I meant, when I need it. Like more firewood. I always know where to find the logs. Parts here are all over the place, I need to clean up as my New Year's resolution.

Warm up the holidays with the Fire Log channel - Star Choice
My boiler puts out more heat than the above, channel 329.

attachment.php

moz-screenshot-7.jpg
moz-screenshot-8.jpg

not that it doesn't happen two weeks for a lnb to fail is real quick . maybe a check of all connections to include receiver is in order.

I always look for good deals like sat AV has every so often and stock up on a few goodies :)

I probably have enough setting around to set up several stationary ku systems :)

spares 'n backups

what parts should you have on hand?

A couple of years ago when I found a good price on some little LNBs, I was annoyed the shipping was so high.
So, I calculated how many I'd have to buy to amortize the shipping and get the total down to something reasonable.
It turned out to be six LNBs. - :eek:
I figured I'd use a few, and seed a few friends with one each.
It worked out quite well for three buddies, and the $6.95 Universal LNBs were a real steal!

Oh, you'll love this one. - :D
Over the last two years, I've bought two C-band LNBF's in anticipation of the day I went low band!
I have both the bandstacked B1 from Sadoun, and the CK-1 dual-band from SatelliteAV!
Now, I might have a BUD on the way real soon, but I've been prepared for about a year!

Last Thanksgiving (2007), SatelliteAV had Svideo and Composite video/audio cables for about a quarter each.
A buddy and I split $8 or $10 worth.
Not only can I find one when I need it, but I can find one to help a friend, too! - :up

HDMI and Component cables aren't quite so cheap, but when I find a deal, I make sure I have a couple of spares.
'Cause, if you wake up one day and need one, ya don't want to be spending $25+ to buy it! - :rolleyes:

SatAV also had diseqc switches on sale, and I think I bought a dozen spares.
Plus, I use DP34 switches for some equipment, and have one or two backups.

My main FTA receiver has a 500gb external USB hard drive.
But, I started out using some low power 2½" drive based 60gb units.
I still have 'em around, and if need be, could press one into service.!

Found a deal on optical cables, and got some spares for less than a buck a foot.
Not expecting mine to fail, but if I get some new equipment that needs more, I'll be ready.

Have numerous hardware stores nearby.
So, LNB mounting brackets, bolts, washers, nuts are not a big problem.
But, I recall reading a post by someone who lives an hour's drive from such places, and you can never have too many spares in that department! :)

I actually have a spare FTA receiver, should it be needed.
That wasn't on purpose - I just didn't get it going in the bedroom, yet.
And, since its IR remote conflicts with the main receiver, I can't have both in the living room. - :eek:

As for computers, I have four that are operational.
And they're all networked, so they share files 'n printers.
Other than not having a DVD burner in my laptop, I can get by with any of them.
The other three, each have two DVD burners, and I smoke up two discs at once when I make 'em.

Needless to say, I stockpile blank printable DVDs, paper sleeves, DVD cases, printer ink, spare USB cables, et al.
They're all available at local computer swap meets, monthly.

. . . oops, I think I've said too much! - :tux:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts