What program do you use to record and why

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
Since am still considered a n00b when it comes to DVB card recording, just wondering what program you guys use to record raw FTA signals with the best PQ ?

And once that is done, what it the best program to convert to DVD ?

I've been using RitzDVB and recorded a sample file. But the bitrate is like 15,000 which is way over the 9800 limit for DVD author.

I want to convert w/o any PQ loss.. that's my mission :D

Thanks in advance.

I use ProgDVB for almost everything.

1. It's free. I am considering paying for MyTheatre
2. I have had the least amount of crashes, glitches, etc. with it. I recorded some HD with Twinhans software, and it was so studdery, it was awful.
3. It was easy to figure out the graph situation, I was always getting an error with RitzDVB.
4. Cascade likes it.

I have tried about all of them. DVBDream is a resource hog, and I like MyTheatre, but I don't have the extra cash for it.

I am using MyTheatre for viewing/recording. I find it a little more user-friendly than Prog-DVB. For DVD creation I am using Moviefactory 3 but I really don't recommend it-lots of issues.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
I am using MyTheatre for viewing/recording. I find it a little more user-friendly than Prog-DVB. For DVD creation I am using Moviefactory 3 but I really don't recommend it-lots of issues.

Thanks for that info.

I recorded off FTA about 45mins or so, and yield about 1.36GB.

I was able to record that content into a DVD-R by simply using the following.

DVDPatcher

Patched it to DVD Complaint, used TMPGEncDVDAuthor 1.6, then burned to DVD-R.. done deal. :yes

Attachments

• dvdpatcher.gif
    dvdpatcher.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 225
I use MyTheatre too. I used to use ProgDVB, but it doesn't do HDTV. I also found that my MyHD card can play back the recordings from MyTheatre but for some reason doesn't like the ones from ProgDVB. I did have to plunck down $40 for MT though.

iammike said:
I use MyTheatre too. I used to use ProgDVB, but it doesn't do HDTV. I also found that my MyHD card can play back the recordings from MyTheatre but for some reason doesn't like the ones from ProgDVB. I did have to plunck down $40 for MT though.

I have recorded many things in HDTV from ProgDVB. You have to use the Elecard graphs to make it work right.

timmy1376 said:
I have recorded many things in HDTV from ProgDVB. You have to use the Elecard graphs to make it work right.

Thanks for the tip. I'm still thinking there's something different in how it handles recording though. The MT recordings work perfectly with MyHD but ProgDVB files won't play. That's true for HD or SD. I'm not sure how many people would be playing them back with MyHD cards though.

I was storing as mpg's. The files would sort of play but would stutter a whole lot and the audio was all messed up too.

Weird, that is what happened to me when I recorded with the Twinhan software.

MyTheatre worked also, but right now, I can find other ways to spend the $40 when a free program is working fine. Plus, my card is dead anyway. So no HD or 4:2:2 for me for awhile.

pro-96 said:
I've been using RitzDVB and recorded a sample file. But the bitrate is like 15,000 which is way over the 9800 limit for DVD author.

You have something wrong there. If you have recorded only one channel, there's no way it can be 15,000 kbps bitrate, unless it is high-def. Most FTA channels are more like 1,500 kbps.

capture / edit / author / burn

I've mastered the Edit, the Author, and the Burn part of the equation.
Now, I'm looking at getting DVB-s going and capturing that way.
Any recording software that saves transport streams, or .mpg files, should work.

The VideoReDo editor has been working for some months and handles transport streams, in addition to .mpg (and other format) video files.
One feature of their editor , is a utility to clean up bad frames in the video, making for better playback.
They have their own support forum, as well.

For authoring, there are many programs, but I get good results from DVD Labs.
I'm running version 1.3, which is not even the latest.
Their current products are called Studio, and Pro, and they have a support forum, too.
I normally make up a menu from which to select which show to play, and put chapter marks in all the shows.

For burning, I use Nero 6.6, but 6.0 and 5.something worked.
None of the other Nero products are used - just "burning rom" to make the DVDs.

Making reliable DVDs is pretty complicated.
Using mismatched, or incompatable tools is a sure way to get stuttering files (or worse).
I've found just one of many ways through the mine field, and rarely have any troubles.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)