What risks are involved with High Risk

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

B-Dog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Has anyone lost recorded shows when switching from CE back to national? I have read a lot about the guide cache being lost, which I can deal with if I decide to switch back, however, I really don't want to lose any recorded programs.

I am fine if guide cache gets lost, but not okay if recorded shows get lost. I am still undecided about what happens if timers or season passes get lost.

All the details I can get will help make me decide that switching to CE is okay. I beta tested TIVO years ago, and beta test software all the time, so I am not expecting it to be rosy, but I want an extremely high level assurance, that recorded programs won't be lost, I could probably deal with everything else, I can always write the to do list and season passes down, if I want to spend the time, which would probbably only be if I decide to switch back to NR.

Thanks in advance for your input.

There have been some CEs where it was announced (in advance) that switching back to a NR would cause the loss of recorded shows, but I never tested it :)

There are some series link (i.e., season pass)/todo list issues with the current CE but hopefully the next one will fix things.

I see people lose a playlist or some recordings here and there, but it seems the exception rather than the rule. We've had a few ce's over the last year that caused a lot of reboots or system freezing. The current one seems to be not populating the to-do list, but records all or most of the shows its supposed to anyhow.

I'm not sure how good of an indicator the risk level is thats sent out for a CE. I think the current "very high risk" is more to curb people from downloading the ce just to get mrv or dlb. I've seen it come out at "high risk" and then when its a bad release get changed the next day to "very high risk".

I've also seen CE's labeled as very high risk one week turn into a national candidate the next week with almost no major changes listed in the release notes.

I've muddled it down to this: a ce might not record a show, it might delete some or all of your shows, and your box might freeze up. 99% of people seem to be able to go back to the NR with no problems. I dont even pay much attention to the risk level.

Thanks for the info, so it generally is not a problem. I'm not afraid of reboots, if it gets excessive, I'll just switch back to NR, I just wanted to make sure that switching back NR wasn't going to mean a high chance of losing recordings, I talked it over with my wife (I don't dare mess with the TV without her blessing) and she just doesn't want to lose any recordings, she'll make a list of the series link (thanks for putting the correct name their, I couldn't remember it) and the to do list, so we can always go back and manually put it in there. We both want MRV, but we also don't mind beta testing and enjoy having the latest and greatest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts