What sat for reactivation?

RogerMacB

May 21, 2011
Mexico City
Hello! My VIP 612 (my only receiver) has been unplugged and gathering dust for a while, though my account is current. I have one dish that I can repoint fairly easily. I am pointed at 119 W right now, but I can't get various transponders -- and it would appear that my box thinks I'm not subscribed to anything.

I can get the on-screen schedule and channel, but no actual programming. My theory is that because I haven't used it in a while, the box decided I wasn't subscribed. It did manage to download the schedule info, and I've got a good lock and satellite ID on the transponders I get, so I know I'm getting enough signal.

I was hoping the daily 3AM update would wake it up, but no luck. Maybe that update is sent on one of the transponders I'm not getting. I could repoint to another satellite and see if I get lucky tonight.

If that doesn't work, I think, but I am not sure, that if I go to the website and upgrade my service to add channels I want anyway, the signal to add the channels will allow me to get my new and old channels, so I want to try that next. If it doesn't, I'll call in to reactivate my box.

Here's the deal: since I can only point at one, I want to be pointed at the right satellite when I try all this. So: does anyone know what my options are in terms of which transponder on which satellite I need to be seeing when I try to wake my box up?

R.

You will need a re-hit on the box.Its been out of the sat stream so long that basically it is inactive as far as programming goes.Call dish up and it shouldn't take long at all to get your receiver going again.

My problem is that I have only one dish that I can only point at one satellite, so before I do anything to wake up the box, I want to be sure I'm pointed at a satellite and transponder that is going to send the wake-up call.

My problem is that I have only one dish that I can only point at one satellite, so before I do anything to wake up the box, I want to be sure I'm pointed at a satellite and transponder that is going to send the wake-up call.

Thats not a problem,as long as the receiver gets a signal it doesn't matter which satellite it is.

The new Dish cards (purple ones) deactivate if there is no sat connection for approx. 2 weeks. Had that happen when remodeling a room in a house. Had no connection for a couple weeks and all they got was 101. Called Dish and they resent a hit and done

For the record, I was pointed at 119, called in, asked for a rehit, and was in business about an hour later. (It might have been faster, but that's when I checked in.) They tell you to unplug your box, wait 15 seconds, and then plug it back in.

R

interesting that they told you to unplug it. Usually a hit would just fix it and no reboot would be required (the receiver might reboot itself)

I have a receiver that I use for camping and it sometimes is not used for extended periods of time. Most of the time, it just needs that hit sent and I usually have service with minutes, if not seconds. Pretty simple procedure. I've learned during camping season to leave it set up and occasionally just turn on the tv and change sat channels to keep it "awake".

RogerMacB,

If the receiver is unplugged and not in use for an extended period of time, the receiver software will be out of date, which will cause the same problem (not getting your channels). Eventually you will get your programming back but the hit makes it happen quicker. Normally if the hit is sent and the programming does not return, that's when CS will tell you to reboot the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts