What satellite is this?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
I have a 6' dish installed with a Standard C-band LNB on it. The setup is ultimately to pick up Skyvision programming but I'll also be using it for FTA with an actuator.

Problem right now is that it's terribly difficult to figure out what the heck I'm looking at. I've been using a crummy meter til mine comes in next week so am using blind scans to figure out where I'm at.

Right now, I believe I'm just past 99.0W somewhere but can't seem to find the following TP's anywhere. I've looked on lyngsat but don't see these. Can anyone shed some light on this? Do you know what I'm looking at?

3732 h 2662
3732 v 2662
3736 v 3445
3736 h 3450
3745 h 2887
3745 v 2888
3748 v 2888
3748 h 2889
3765 v 3252
3839 v 6504
3839 h 6497
3963 v 4966
3964 h 4979

Yes, sorry, I would have added those but thought the TP's would give it away.

1 TVCh
2 TVCh
3 AGS TV
4 UTEG
5 HOLA TV
6 SCOPUS-NET-T
7 TVCh
8 TVCh
9 AGS TV
10 UTEG
11 HOLA TV
12 SCOPUS-NET-T

Pretty much, the same channels show up regardless of which satellite I pick when doing a blind scan. This makes sense as far as I understand things.

Mike

Thanks.

What's interesting then is that the cheap little signal meter is reading nothing between 99W and 113W. Of course, one has to adjust these things repeatedly while looking else it's easy to miss.

I'll try going East.

Strangely, Mike Kohl of Skyvision came over to help me on Friday after dropping off the equipment a week or two before. Even with his Signal Buddy (can't recall what it's called), we had a very hard time homing in on 105W which is what we're trying to find. It's a stumper. Mind you, he didn't have a whole lot of time else I'm sure he'd have gotten it.

Very cool guy by the way, lots of interesting satellite war stories :).

Anyhow, I'll go give it another try.

what you could try is if the receiver shows AnikF1 bring up that satellite. Select a transponder from the list here
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - 107.3°W Anik F1R C
(preferably one that has the bigger 28346 symbol rate...they're very strong signals)

then slowly move the dish east until it locks quality on the signal for 107.3
Then continue to move the dish east til the quality disappears. Now you're VERY close to 105W

>what you could try is if the receiver shows AnikF1 bring up that satellite.

At this point, I'm using a geosatpro unit for blind scans. I've noticed it finds things that even the traxis unit doesn't.

>Select a transponder from the list here (preferably one that has the bigger
>28346 symbol rate...they're very strong signals)
>then slowly move the dish east until it locks quality on the signal for 107.3

I'll give this a try.

>Then continue to move the dish east til the quality disappears. Now you're
>VERY close to 105W

Wait now, am I missing something? Once the signal disappears, I'm getting close? I notice on lyngsat there are only what appear to be music channels on C-band for 105W.

>Then continue to move the dish east til the quality disappears. Now you're
>VERY close to 105W

Wait now, am I missing something? Once the signal disappears, I'm getting close? I notice on lyngsat there are only what appear to be music channels on C-band for 105W.

yes. Once you move east and the signal disappears from 107.3 then you're probably locked on 105W. They're that close
on C-Band 105 there is the Hits2Home package that the 4DTV's can see. If you click on the "P" on Lyngsat it will show all the chanenls on 105W C-Band. The music channels are in the clear if you have a 4DTV (at least they use to be. Lyngsat is based in Europe so they may not be accurate info)

Thats how I find 89W as example when I use my big dish that is ghetto moved. I lock 91 which is easier, then dial up 89W and slowly move the dish east. Its easier to lock a weaker or "unknown" satellite by starting with something stronger neighboring satellite and going from there

>yes. Once you move east and the signal disappears from 107.3 then you're probably
>locked on 105W. They're that close

Wow, interesting. Ok, so this makes me wonder, will the maxpeak meter I've got on the way even pick this up then? That is so reverse logic of anything I've learned to date hehe.

Ok, I'll head out there and give that a try shortly :).

Ok, finally found something I've not seen before.

4100 v 28335
3896 v 6127
3780 v 28340
3734 v 1659
4060 v 28343
4100 h 28327
3896 h 6127
3780 h 28341
3734 h 1659
4060 h 28335

OCCUSE MPEG2
THE WEATHER
THE WEATHER
COMPEL CA DA
TNI-COMPEL
OS DOWNLOAD
THE WEATHER
THE WEATHER
THE WEATHER
GLOBAL TV (C $
GLOBAL TV ( $
GLOBAL TV (G $
GLOBAL GATEW $
OCCUS
TEST
TELE QUEBEC
TELE QUEBEC
LCN $
LCN DOLBY $
LCN/MAGNETO $
MYSTERE $
MYSTERE /MPG $
ARGENT $
ARGENT/MPEG $
PRISE 2 /DOL $
PRISE 2 /MPE $
MA MAISON/DO
MA MAISON/MP
sERVICE 3 MP
METEO MEDIA
METEO MEDIA
TNI OCCUS
RDI $
RDI/POP$
ASN/TV GUIDE
MUSIQUE PLUS$
MUSIQUE PLUS$
MUSIMAX $
MUSIMAX $
MUSIMAX DOLB$
RDS $
RDS DOLBY$
OCCUSE MPEG2
THE WEATHER
COMPEL CA DA
TNI-COMPEL
OS DOWNLOAD
THE WEATHER
GLOBAL TV (C $
GLOBAL TV ( $

I've not looked these up yet but seem to recall Canadian stuff is on Anik.

Ok, so this makes me wonder, will the maxpeak meter I've got on the way even pick this up then?
I do not know. There are "main" types of modulation out there
DVB (and its brother DVB-S2)
Digicipher II

FTA receivers get DVB (and meters do) but 4DTV uses DCII. I dont know if the meter will be able to pick that up or not.

Normally if there was a DVB signal it would be easier. But 105W C-Band is mainly DCII

Something new learned again. I didn't know that some things could not be seen at least. I thought that basically, everything shows up, if you can use it or not is another story.

After trying for quite some time, I've found something else nearby but again, can't seem to confirm it.

4196 v 2889
4196 h 2887

The Calif Ch

Something new learned again. I didn't know that some things could not be seen at least. I thought that basically, everything shows up, if you can use it or not is another story.

After trying for quite some time, I've found something else nearby but again, can't seem to confirm it.

4196 v 2889
4196 h 2887

The Calif Ch

The California Channel is on 103W.

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - 103.0°W AMC 1 C

Since 105 has no DVB signals you gotta do the monkey shine way around it

Do you have the 410 or the 4DTV? Once you're close then switch over to the 4DTV or the 410 to fine tune 105. Thats what I use to do

Yes, Mike brought a rack mount version down when he came over the first time.
I'm about to complicate things even more, my actuator came in and I'm trying to find information/documentation, even pretty pictures on installing a TA-18 (if that means anything to anyone) on a 6' dish.

Figure like my KU, it probably needs to have a starting point which is similar. In the case of my KU, that's 93, my center point.

Well, I positioned it right down the center of the two little marks I made for 103W and 107W. Blind scan shows nada. I'll have to connect the cable back to the DSR410 and see if it sees otherwise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)