What Satilite Dish is better?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Joe Shmoe

Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
Whats better the Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line (AU9-S) or the Five LNB Ka/Ku Dish Antenna (AT9)? Some installers are telling me the AT9 is better that the Slimeline doesn't pick up as well, has anyone else herd this? I am thinking of upgrading to the new dish, when they come to hook up my new H20 DVR.

The dish that is going to get you Directv HD programming would be the KA/KU dish or a.k.a. 5 LNB Multisat. Once they get their Directv 10 and Directv 11 satellites up in the air then the HD capacity nationally will be up to 150 channels nationally HD. The time for that launch has not been released, but it is going to be soon. Also depending on your area DTV might offer HD locals in your area. Most of the time the Local channels they offer is NBC, ABC, FOX, & CBS. In some major area example being New York or Boston they offer like CW in HD. But to get your better HD programming you want the KA/KU dish and a Mpeg 4 capable receiver such as H20 (100 or 600 Manf. Code) or HR20 (100 or 700 Manf. Code). Any other questions you would like answered let me know...

I am not sure what the answer is but I would like to welcome both you, "Joe Shmoe" and you "eScNuK3r" to SatelliteGuys.

:welcome

i can't comment on the at-9 dish but i haven't had any problems with my slimline. and it's been up and operating 2 months now.

i would also like to welcome both of you to satguys!!!!!

I have had both the AT9 and the AU9 (slimline) dishes. It is hard to compare them because i had the AT9 in Florida, and now the AU9 in North Carolina. As far as national's go they both seem to work identically without any problems.
From an Install point of view and looks I seem to like the newer AU9 (slimline) version myself.

John

Whats better the Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line (AU9-S) or the Five LNB Ka/Ku Dish Antenna (AT9)? Some installers are telling me the AT9 is better that the Slimeline doesn't pick up as well, has anyone else herd this? I am thinking of upgrading to the new dish, when they come to hook up my new H20 DVR.

General opinion is that there is no difference between the two dishes when it comes to signal strength etc And as far as I know, they are not manufacturing the AT-9 any more , only the AU-9 "slimline".

I got the Au-9 a week ago, and it's spot on. Most of my transponders come in at 97%. I can't imagine that the AT-9 could pick up any better.

They should both work about the same. The weak point of the AT-9 is the coax connection between the 110/119 LNB assembly and the main 99/101/103 LNB. Also, the AT-9 LNBs aren't interchangeable among manufacturers, which is probably a logistics issue for service personnel.

It is like race cars and high speed aircraft,

When the designers get it right the first time things look like the original drawing. As adjustments get dialed in things get "bumpy." I gotta say, for a dynamic (that means changing) system DTV engineering is a world beater.
As an installer, I gotta say the folks who administer the installations are a pack of self serving, deceitful liars who get away with whatever they do by locating the lowest level of sophistication available to connect the wires. Having done this they use legalisms to deprive their their "contractors" of as much compensation as possible through a layered system of subcontractors.

Or I could be wrong.

Joe

Dish install

Dont get the at9, the coax from 110 and 119 lnb that goes 101, 103, and 99 lnb always seems to break. Also the at9 in my opinion is a pain in the ass to aim, and that dither screw thing is Bullsh!t. The au9 is easy to aim, just aim at 101 and get the 101 as strong as possible. Then check your other sstellites on your ird.103 or 99 may only show 1 or 2 x transponders because they are spot beams...

I've had multiple different 3 LNB dishes and my AT9 has the best signal strength ever on 101, 110, 119. My 99 and 103 are most at or near 100 so its been rock solid and great signal. So I think it does come down to ease of installation and it sounds like the slimline might be easier to install.

Dont get the at9, the coax from 110 and 119 lnb that goes 101, 103, and 99 lnb always seems to break. Also the at9 in my opinion is a pain in the ass to aim, and that dither screw thing is Bullsh!t. The au9 is easy to aim, just aim at 101 and get the 101 as strong as possible. Then check your other sstellites on your ird.103 or 99 may only show 1 or 2 x transponders because they are spot beams...

I tend to agree with this, although the difference between which of the AT9 and AU9 being better is very small.

I lean towards the AU9 because I had exactly what dodge describes happen to me (bad 110/119) on my AT9.

Thank all of you the information on this site is incrediable. It seems as though the slimline is the better dish. With less problems plus it looks better and is 10 lbs. lighter. Thanks

Aw Dodge, there ya go again. The dither screw thing IS necessary and the alignment instructions are basically identical for the AT9 and AU9. They both need to de-tune and match levels identically either side of the apparent peak to find the most precise peak in the center. You can’t make it perfect by doing a simple peak, the dish could still be slightly off and subject to problems in the future. You wouldn’t leave an install without perfectly peaking the dish, now would ya?
Rick

You have had the coax between the two lnbs break ????
My AT-9 has been up for 10 months now, thru all kinds of weather and have had NO trouble at all.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Directv only installs the slimline anyway.Directv tech says the slimline is stronger,and better against rain fade,then the other 5 lnb.I have no complaints my signal strength is a 98 average.

I've had the AT-9 for a year now. Its been a great dish. Rock solid and reliable, even in bad weather.

I think the AU-9 is the only dish available now. Its a better looking dish (IMO), but either one does the job.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)