What sets fuboTV apart from DirecTV?

DirecTVFanSince2016

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Apr 26, 2023
Scranton, PA
Just wondering for anyone here that has fuboTV, coming from direcTV.
How do they compare? I almost signed up for a free trial of fubo just about a month ago but did not want to get it just yet because I still like direcTV.
My searching shows that I at least get my big 4 local stations, as well as all of my RSNs (yes even NBCS Philly is included) except the YES Network.
They also offer a lot of unique channels, mainly FAST channels, similar to what other streaming providers do like YouTube and Hulu.
I did notice they dropped the CW sometime ago, but I can live with that.
Are there any other differences, besides the obvious fact that Fubo is streaming and DirecTV is satellite?
Thanks.

My searching shows that I at least get my big 4 local stations, as well as all of my RSNs (yes even NBCS Philly is included) except the YES Network.
(The Estrella TV and Telemundo channels aren’t local channels here in this area. Not sure why they are on there. Also SportsNet Pittsburgh still has the old ATTSN logo, and it’s duplicated because one is the main and the other is the alternate for when the Bucs and Pens are playing at the same time).
Also, although it doesn’t look like it, the ABC is actually the local affiliate here (WNEP) and not the national feed, even though it’s using just the ABC logo and not the WNEP logo.

Attachments

• IMG_4886.png
    IMG_4886.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 62
How do they compare? I almost signed up for a free trial of fubo just about a month ago but did not want to get it just yet because I still like direcTV.
They also offer a lot of unique channels, mainly FAST channels, similar to what other streaming providers do like YouTube and Hulu.
Are there any other differences, besides the obvious fact that Fubo is streaming and DirecTV is satellite?
Thanks.
No Warner Channels, no Disney (ESPN).

They actually do have the Disney networks. Not really sure if I can do without Warner as that includes TBS and TNT which I watch for March Madness and NBA playoffs. I don’t plan on switching from DirecTV for a long while anyway. Thanks for your response though.

Last edited:
They actually do have the Disney networks. Not really sure if I can do without Warner as that includes TBS and TNT which I watch for March Madness and NBA playoffs. I don’t plan on switching from DirecTV for a while anyway. Thanks for your response though.
Shows how much attention I pay to Fubo.

Do not expect them to be around long, burning thru cash and cannot attract subscribers.

Dropped under a million subs, has lost over 100,000 subs each of the last two quarters, while YTTV keeps gaining, now at 6 million.

• Sad
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
They recently got the Bally Sports RSNs:
you don't think that could help them get more subs? since they and D*Stream are the only ones who have them.
But they say they do want a new deal with Hulu and YTTV to restore them to those providers:

Just found out Dish sued them. Not looking good:

They recently got the Bally Sports RSNs:
Read the date of that story, December 21, 2022 in the first paragraph, they started losing more after getting Bally Sports
you don't think that could help them get more subs? since they and D*Stream are the only ones who have them.
No, DirecTV Streaming ( both Versions) sub count is under 1.5 Million, Fubo I already explained.

While Hulu Live (over 4 Million) and YTTV (6 Million ), both do not have Bally’s RSN.
But they say they do want a new deal with Hulu and YTTV to restore them to those providers:
What came out of Bankruptcy Court yesterday, while Diamonds hopes, Hulu/YTTV has shown no interest, why would YTTV, they are the only LiveTV Provider that has gains every quarter in subscribers.

Only the minority cares about the RSNs, the vast majority do not, just 7 years ago, there was 100 million Cable/Satellite subs, just about all received a RSN, today only 55 million Cable/Sat subs.

But only 40-45 million get the RSN, since Dish does not carry them and/or people having packages that does not include it, like Entertainment with DirecTV.

If the majority cared about the RSN, that would not of happened.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Thanks.
If you like DirecTV, why are you looking at other options? Is it price?

It's not price, it's other reasons that I'm not going to get into as well as the fact that they're advertised a lot on thsi forum. As I'm typing this there's a big horizontal Fubo ad on the bottom of my screen and a little square one on the right side just above the list of everyone that read this thread.

It's not price, it's other reasons that I'm not going to get into as well as the fact that they're advertised a lot on thsi forum. As I'm typing this there's a big horizontal Fubo ad on the bottom of my screen and a little square one on the right side just above the list of everyone that read this thread.
Gotta love targeted advertising.

• Haha
I'm that minority, are you?
No, the majority of my life I lived in Michigan, but now in Florida, care nothing about the teams here, but pay for ST/ ESPN+ for the Lions/Red Wings.

So, again, glad I do not have to pay that RSN fee.

But at the rate things are going, RSNs only have about 3 years at the most, unless the streaming RSN model attracts a lot of subscribers.

RSNs only have about 3 years at the most
I guess you have not seen this kyl416 post:
DIRECTV just signed a multi-year deal for the Spectrum Sportsnet channels, and the team owned RSNs like Altitude, MASN, YES, Marquee, Monumental, NESN, MSG, SNY, ROOT and the soon to be SportsNet Pittsburgh and whatever the Astros/Rockets rebrand ATTSN Southwest to are not affected by the Diamond Sports debacle. And even if Diamond jettisons the Reds, Rangers, Twins or Guardians during the offseason and the MLB takes over the broadcast rights like they did for the Padres and Diamondbacks, DIRECTV will still provide their games as part of your base package, the same for the Pirates and Rockies if they opt for the MLB route next season instead of signing with Pittsburgh SportsNet and Altitude. Compare that to the direct to consumer route, where in cities like NYC you would have to pay $30 EACH for the YES, SNY and MSG OTT apps on top of whatever other OTT services you want.

I guess you have not seen this kyl416 post:
So, having a multi year deal has nothing to do if they last or not, especially a deal with DirecTV who is about 3-4 years away from being unprofitable.

Math show us by this time next year, there will be more households without a Live TV Service then with.

There are already more households that do not have cable/satellite then do.

Cable/Satellite are the only ones carrying the RSNs ( except Fubo , but they are under a million subs).

1st quarter loss for Comcast/DirecTV/Spectrum ( main carriers of RSNs)-1,000,000

2nd quarter loss-1,146,000

So, a estimated loss of a million for the last 2 quarters of 2023, roughly more then a million each quarter of 2024, means Diamond ( and other RSNs) will lose another 6-8 million subscribers paying the per sub fee by the end of 2024.

• Sad
So, having a multi year deal has nothing to do if they last or not, especially a deal with DirecTV who is about 3-4 years away from being unprofitable.

Math show us by this time next year, there will be more households without a Live TV Service then with.

There are already more households that do not have cable/satellite then do.

Cable/Satellite are the only ones carrying the RSNs ( except Fubo , but they are under a million subs).

1st quarter loss for Comcast/DirecTV/Spectrum ( main carriers of RSNs)-1,000,000

2nd quarter loss-1,146,000

So, a estimated loss of a million for the last 2 quarters of 2023, roughly more then a million each quarter of 2024, means Diamond ( and other RSNs) will lose another 6-8 million subscribers paying the per sub fee by the end of 2024.
While this is interesting, Bruce , how can we apply this information to help DirecTVFanSince2016 ? What is the best option for the time being?

Reactions: ncted
While this is interesting, Bruce ,
He poised the question, I just answered it.

how can we apply this information to help DirecTVFanSince2016 ? What is the best option for the time being?

Since he is alluding that he has has to give up DirecTV and go streaming, but wishes to keep his RSN.

The answer is obvious, DirecTV Stream or DirecTV via streaming.

I recommend Stream since it is less expensive.

But I also assume since he was looking into Fubo, he already looked into those options.

The answer is obvious, DirecTV Stream or DirecTV via streaming.
I technically have that, as satellite customers use the D*Stream apps for watching out-of-home on phone/tablet, in-home via PC, Roku, etc.
That does make me ask (and I'm sorry if it derails the thread), can you still have a satellite account, but have no Genie/HR2x boxes and just use streaming for everything?

While this is interesting, @Bruce , how can we apply this information to help @DirecTVFanSince2016 ? What is the best option for the time being?
I understand it already without it being applied to help me. I never even thought subscriber losses were that huge this year! I remember back in 2019 I think the providers were only losing a couple hundred thousand subscribers. Nowadays over a million every Q???