What Should I Aim My Dead ONN Dish At?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
I've got fixed Ku dishes pointed at 125 for PBS, 101 for His,Bi, 97 for Glorystar, 83 for RTV, 30 for Cuba stuff. With ONN dead where should I go next.

I would go to WSI or Sadoun for a motor, and sweep the whole arc. ;)

Phlat,

Good idea if it were my only dish. I do have a 8ft microwave dish modified for C/Ku with actuator to pan around. I see several dishes in your avatar so you know the advantage of fixed dishes. After loosing ONN I just needed some ideas on how best to use an already installed dish since I've only been in the FTA scene since March. I'm checking out the sats everybody suggested, 72º was mentioned the most. I've been monitoring it for a few days, only seen Harold Camping on KFTL so far. What do you have your fixed dished pointed at?

Phlat,

Good idea if it were my only dish. I do have a 8ft microwave dish modified for C/Ku with actuator to pan around. I see several dishes in your avatar so you know the advantage of fixed dishes. After loosing ONN I just needed some ideas on how best to use an already installed dish since I've only been in the FTA scene since March. I'm checking out the sats everybody suggested, 72º was mentioned the most. I've been monitoring it for a few days, only seen Harold Camping on KFTL so far. What do you have your fixed dished pointed at?

105.0°W has sports feeds and events many evenings and weekends. You could also try 101.0°W for History and BIO Channels or 89.0°W for ABC News now and ABC News one. :cool:

Last edited:
Phlat,

Ah ok, I understand your setup a little better now. Can you pick up most/all of the FTA Ku stuff with your 8 footer?

Actually only 2 of the dishes in my avatar are "fixed", the 6-footer that is pallet mounted is mainly used to test a pile of LNBFs I got, and the Primestar is not used much. The others are all motorized but I only have cabling into the house to use 2-3 at a time, the 2 Birdviews are functional, but still in the "project/testing" phase.

I think, in the summer 72W would be my first choice (for the NBC mux), but if you are into sports there are several sats toward the eastern side of the arc that fill up with feeds during the college football/basketball season.

63 has the sctv channels, they are pbs out of south carolina
weak signal, but worth it
72 has the nbc mux, different stuff from time to time, well worth a fixed dish also imho
89 has abc news now and abc news one
123 has the research channel and a few college channels for university of washington
saw a battle of the bands on one of these channels the other day:up
i started to mention what was available on each of these sats the other day but i had to make sure that some of this stuff was posted on lyngsat before i mentioned what channels were available in an open forum as per the rules here:)
hope this helps,
Denny

The loss of ONN on 74W got me motivated to give the 80's another try. I have a house pretty much blocking a clear shot to the 79W to 89 W. Well since I had some time and in between the rain..I relocated and remounted the World Direct dish on the back deck tried for 83W and got Tuff and RTV. Even though I have a local station that has RTV it doesn't cover Tuff....I'm pointing at the roof of the house next door and getting a 66% Q.

I remounted the WSI/Sadoun Dish (that was on the deck) on a pole into the ground tweaked it pointing at my neighbors house to get 89W ! it is not full strength...something like 46% Quality...but it will do for now ...until Freedbs gets off the ground...now I need to order some 22 khz Encoda switches as I have a LNB bracket and some extra LNBs...

I have to get a different 'dish" bracket for the WSI/Sadoun dish as it is the "ring type" and does not clamp down tightly...maybe I can take the bracket off a old 18" Direct dish and modify it with thin plywood and be able to use the bracket on the 30" dish...

Go figure...still beats running a 150 foot coax to the end of the backyard to clear neighbors house.

Ah ok, I understand your setup a little better now. Can you pick up most/all of the FTA Ku stuff with your 8 footer?

I can see 26 Cband sats and most of the Ku in with it. The 8' Ku has modest performance over my 1.0m Ku considering it is much larger. For Ku I have to tweak the positioner east or west a little where Cband works fine as is. Fixed Ku is best for me for frequently viewed sats.

63 has the sctv channels, they are pbs out of south carolina
weak signal, but worth it
72 has the nbc mux, different stuff from time to time, well worth a fixed dish, i started to mention what was available on each of these sats the other day but i had to make sure that some of this stuff was posted on lyngsat before i mentioned what channels were available in an open forum as per the rules here:)
hope this helps,
Denny

Makes me wonder what you would have told me if not for the forum rule. I've got a fixed dish at PBS Montana, would SCTV be any different or better? As for 72º I've moved ONN over to this and am checking it out per you and several other suggestions. Looks good so far, may be worthy of a fixed assignment. I'm really enjoying being indoctrinated by Harold Camping! Just wait till 5-21-11.

The loss of ONN on 74W got me motivated to give the 80's another try. I have a house pretty much blocking a clear shot to the 79W to 89 W. Well since I had some time and in between the rain..I relocated and remounted the World Direct dish on the back deck tried for 83W and got Tuff and RTV. Go figure...still beats running a 150 foot coax to the end of the backyard to clear neighbors house.

I'm running over 200' to the sweet spot on my property, can see 30 to 137º well worth the trouble if you have the right view.

I would vote for either 91W or 105W. Both have good feeds on them. 105 may get more interesting as fall approaches.

I haven't spent much time looking at these sats, I will check them out.
Thanks.

Jim

Last edited:
Originally Posted by vanalex
I would vote for either 91W or 105W. Both have good feeds on them. 105 may get more interesting as fall approaches.

I haven't spent much time looking at these sats, I will check them out.
Thanks.

Jim
....just to add. If you love sports and special events, 91.0°W and 105.0°W will be worth your while.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)