What should I expect!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tyrate

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Well Directv has made an effort to make good for the first time in a long time DTV has made me an offer that I guess for the most part I can live with. I live in the Norfolk area and was a little upset with the fact that DTV falsely advertised that Local HD channels were coming to DTV by the end of the 2006. I'd also let them know that Verizon FIOS is now available in my area and that they are offering a HD DVR w/local HD with a activation and STB fees waived for three months. Directv fought back by offering me a $200 credit towards a HD DVR, free HD package for a year, and a $10 credit a month to my account for the next 12 months. Of course I have to commit to a new 2 year contract. Anyway two questions would you take the deal or is the verizon service better and opt for that service instead? Unfortunately they are still pretty back up on HD DVR STB so the actually agreement won't go into affect until I received the box which won't be until the end of March. So what model HD DVR should I expect?

the only model they have is the HR20-700.

if D* doesn't have your HD locals, and you don't have an OTA, I'd go with FIOS. Hell, I'd go with FiOS anyways.

the only model they have is the HR20-700.

if D* doesn't have your HD locals, and you don't have an OTA, I'd go with FIOS. Hell, I'd go with FiOS anyways.

Same here. I like D* but FIOS would be right up there if it was available in my area. I would do FIOS especially with HD locals.

Same here. I like D* but FIOS would be right up there if it was available in my area. I would do FIOS especially with HD locals.

What makes you guys jump to FIOS? What has Verizon done in the TV land to make you think they are so much better then DTV or Dish for that matter.

Lets not give them awards just yet.

What makes you guys jump to FIOS? What has Verizon done in the TV land to make you think they are so much better then DTV or Dish for that matter.

They are just another cable company, but good to have around to create competition for satellite. They provide less channels than D* or E*, for the same money, including $10.00 a month HD receiver fee, or a $13.00 a month DVR fee or $20.00 a month multi-room DVR fee.

It is not available in my area but last week I looked into FIOS while visiting family members, on the west coast of Florida. They were debating FIOS or satellite. With all the add ons, it was going to cost them more for FIOS than D* or E*. Below is what we came up with.

FIOS monthly cost:
Basic programing = $43.00
Local Programing = $13.00
Sports & Movie = $26.00
HBO & MAX = $26.00
Monthly HD Box = $10.00
Monthly DVR fee = $13.00
Total = $121.00
With FIOS HBO, MAX, Starz and Showtime offered a few more movies channels than with satellite, but no RSN sports package.

DirecTV monthly cost:
Premier Package = $100.00
HD Programing = $10.00
Extra Box Month = $5.00
Total = $115.00 *

* The DirecTV fee was actually $105.00 a month, $10.00 a month less with the services he has with Bellsouth/ATT. Plus with DirecTV he had the regional sports networks that FIOS doesn't offer.

With both systems they wanted 1 HD receiver and 1 HD DVR.

With DirecTV it was going to cost him originally $199.00 for the equipment, after the hardware rebates and reduced programing rates for the first few months. But with DirecTV costing $16.00 a month less (programing and Bellsouth package rebates), he would make it up the original $199.00 investment, after the first year.

With the fiber delivery of its programing FIOS would give as good picture quality as satellite, and better then conventional cable with their lower 99 analog channels.

Not trying to knock either service, but just thought I would throw this info into the discussion.

Come on chazcbh,
You know the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I have that same thing happening in the phone business, and ythey keep coming back!

Jimbo

Thanks for the responses now I'm more confused than ever before, but I do appreciate the efforts. Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts