what should my signal strength be?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Batwings21

Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
I live in northwestern Indiana, and I loose my signal on some or all satellites when it rains. Is this normal, what should my signals strength be? I know rain fade is common, but it is hardly raining and I have lost 119. And when it goes out, it just goes away, right now 110 is in the mid 70's, but 119 is 0? I have a dish 500 and it says dpp twin lnb's and a 625 as well as a 301.

I will have to check it when it clears up, is it normal to totally lose one of them? I have both 110 and 119 back now, both at 83 to 84. I would think that they would both go down at about the same rate, not one go down by 10 and the other disappear. I'm not a satellite guy, I'm a land radio guy, but that just doesn't seem right. But I'm always open to being told I'm wrong, as long as someone explains why.

Are those signals on transponder 11? If so that is not real low, but it is not great.

I am just up in the lower part of Michigan from you. Signals run about 105 -110 on 119 and 90 - 100 on the 110. That would be on the 625. The 301 should show 120 to 125 on 119, and 107 - 112 on the 110.

The dual tuners just show signal lower than the single tuners.

Sounds like you could use a repeak on your dish though.

Also it is possible for the 119 to go out and not the 110. Just depends on how the storm moves through your area.

You may also be having trouble with your LNB as well. There have been a few issues with the DPP's acting up. But I am leaning towards your dish needing a repeak.

Thanks for the help guys, I was thinking that the signal strength was kinda low, but I had nothing to compare it to. I think sunday I will repeak the dish, been about ten years since I adjusted a dbs dish, but I assume it is the same as the DTN weather satellites, just adjust back and forth panning for the best signal strength.

Since you already have a decent signal on both sats. First make sure the are in level, it could be a slight lean, then slight adjustments should be all you need unless something is in your path which would mean moving the mount about 1 inch. Mark your pole with your starting point so you can return to it.

Don't lose any of the bolts and just push the dish up and down and left and right, have someone looking at the signal strength and you'll have an idea which way you need to go. Then just lose the bolts and adjust.

RandallA said:
Don't lose any of the bolts and just push the dish up and down and left and right, have someone looking at the signal strength and you'll have an idea which way you need to go. Then just lose the bolts and adjust.
I think he means to use the word loosen instead of lose, at least the reply makes more sense with loosen.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)