What signal strength should I expect?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pirkle

Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
Hi,

I have one of the new 5LNB Ka/Ku Mpeg4 satellites with a H20 receiver.

I am wondering about expected signal strength because I noticed a couple times yesterday my whole screen would go black for a couple seconds then would come back and be fine.

I did a signal strength test and it looks like I am picking up 3 satellites(forgot which ones). 2 of them are getting about 81% and the other is only getting about 63%.

I think I remember the install tech saying that one had to be at least 80% and the others could be much lower.

I'm located in North Texas near Dallas.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sat 101 Trans.1 sig.77 Trans.2 sig.70 Trans.12 spot beam 89
Sat 103 net 14 Tr 13 sig 77 Tr.31 sig 89
Sat 110 three transponders range from 65-77
Sat 119 ranges from 65 to 77

Remember on the H20 signal runs 10-15 points lower than on other receivers on the same dish.

Actually the H20 calculates the signal strength about 20% lower not just 10-15. The next download for the H20 should fix that error.

I just had my installation this week with 5 receivers and the AT9. The H20 can only get a 71 and the R15 and other D11's get 87-90. Now with my old round dish and old receiver I had installed before this, I was getting 95. The installer said they were only obligated to get a 60 strength. BTW, I'm in the Houston area.

Here's the response I got from Cust. Service..............

"Thanks for writing. I apologize for any confusion this issue has caused. The H20 receiver processes information slightly different than regular receivers. A reading of 60-80% on satellites 101, 72, 95, 110, 119 - if the dish is set up for these satellites, is normal. A reading of 95 to 100% on satellites 99 / 103 - if the dish is set up for these satellites is common.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further technical assistance, please call 1-800-531-5000 and press the option to speak with one of our technical support representatives 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thanks again for writing and please stay tuned to DIRECTV.com/HDTV for the latest news and information about our HD service.

Sincerely,
Cody
DIRECTV Customer Service"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)