what size ehd should I get

The best price point has moved out to the 2 to 3TB size. Dish limits them to 2TB.
I was spending $43/TB + $10/case before the Thai floods. Total 11TB.
The price is getting there again. My latest was $90 for 2TB cased at newegg.
Buy most any except watch Seagate. I have many WD, some Hitachi and a Cavalry.
The only one to go bad is a Buffalo but I recovered, just slow transfers.
For ref, my first 750GB was $190. I use a $20 stand for raw drives to save a little.

Note: drive makers use powers of 1000. We use powers of 1024--important.
That is not a format loss, just a different definition of TB GB MB or kB.

My only objection to 2TB (1.5TB I'm unsure of) is that the 722 reindexes the disk
each time you make any change so it is slower to respond to changes like deletions.
Smaller sizes with less files seem to be better buffered. I prefer one 2TB to four .5TB.

Expect most show to now use 2GB/hour (1.4 to 2.6GB/hr) of HD-MPEG4.
OTA-MPEG2 can be 3 times that size. 720p uses 1/2 the space of 1080i, YMMV.
My PBS channel is now available from Dish so it is MPEG4 vs. OTA being MPEG2.
I'm replacing the MPEG2 (PBS or VOOM) as soon as the shows are on again.

-Ken

Just for the sake of experimentation I hooked up a 3TB Seagate drive to my Hopper last night. It recognized it and I had it formatted overnight. I was able to start transferring content to it this morning. So it looks like, for the Hopper at least, the maximum EHD size has increased.

dan188 said:
Does it see the whole 3tb or less

2.73 TB which I believe probably stems from the whole 1000 vs 1024 capacity measuring method. I haven't done the math, so I can't say that for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Right on the money. Now the question remains, will you actually be able to use all 2.73 tebibytes?

3HaloODST said:
Right on the money. Now the question remains, will you actually be able to use all 2.73 tebibytes?

I have two 1.5s filled with HD movie content. I don't see a reason why I won't eventually fill the 3TB drive as well.

It's really a shame that more folks haven't discovered the huge advantage of having a EHD. They are so slick and easy to use and quite inexpensive.
On what do you base that comment? Pretty much the norm...for the last 2 or three years.

I have two 1.5s filled with HD movie content. I don't see a reason why I won't eventually fill the 3TB drive as well.

I meant more along the lines of whether or not the Hopper will properly use all of the available space without issues.

3HaloODST said:
I meant more along the lines of whether or not the Hopper will properly use all of the available space without issues.

If it successfully formatted the drive, correctly recognized its capacity, and let me transfer programs to it already, why would it have issues using it? I'd assume the problem would be in connecting initially, formatting or even registering drive size. If you can think of something different, I'd be curious to know. Maybe I can test it in some way.

Well... There's the 999 recorded event limit. Has that likewise been relaxed?

Nope. Also filesystem/kernel limitations can affect the ability to actually utilize all the space rather than just formatting/accurately gauging the size of the drive.

TheKrell said:

I didn't even know that existed. It's probably good that I mainly archive movies. Probably won't hit 999 before filling that up.

inazsully said:
Which comment are you talking about? You think they are too expensive? They are too difficult to use? They don't offer enough advantages? I don't comprehend your statement KAB.

I took it to mean that he was challenging your statement that most do not know about or take advantage of EHDs.

Anyone use a sergate goflex drive. I saw walmart has one for 89 for 1tb

I picked up the 2TB version from Costco's black friday sale for $79. It works fine except there no power on switch and the front LED indicator takes 15 seconds to light up and doesnt flash with activity. I don't like the EHD to be powered up 24/7 when not in use, I have had too many usb hdd's die after 2 - 3 years

I just got the Hopper and have 1TB EHD. Can I hook that up to the Hopper and transfer shows from Primetime Anytime and all others to the EHD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)