What size/type of pole to use?

FredC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hello all. Hopefully an easy question for you pros. My buddy has a superdish he wants me to install on a pole. Seems the 2 support arms will not hold the dish, even tightening them as far as they will go. If I put it on a pole, won't need the support arms. The big question, what diameter and type of pole? Something like a chain link fence post? Thanks in advance for your help! Fred

I've used a 1 5/8" chain link post from L*owes for about $10... not very thick, but it does well for the price.

2" diameter galvanized fence post will work. It should probably be longer than 5 feet, just make sure you get a good bit of it in the hole. I spade the end and drive in the ground, level it, then put concrete in the hole and pack it down. It would probably also help to drill a hole a couple of feet up and place a short piece of rebar through it, to help prevent twisting.

2 3/8" galvanized fence post

I just installed a 2 3/8" post 4' 10" above the ground and filled the inside with concrete.

The pole seems solid yet it still vibrates when lightly hand tapped at the top. The pole is plumb but I worry that the 36" dish and HH motor will have problems because of this slight movement.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Yeah, I had a AT9(D* 5lnb) on top of a 2" pole(5ft) and that thing bounced all over. Ive seen some installs where they concrete the pole in the ground, then there is a tripod that attaches around the pole and puts legs on the ground. This might help.

2" diameter galvanized fence post will work. It should probably be longer than 5 feet, just make sure you get a good bit of it in the hole. I spade the end and drive in the ground, level it, then put concrete in the hole and pack it down. It would probably also help to drill a hole a couple of feet up and place a short piece of rebar through it, to help prevent twisting.

Just want to say thank you for the info! Also to rcdallas, kru83, and everyone else. As always, good information. Thanks again, have a great summer all!

Hello all. Hopefully an easy question for you pros. My buddy has a superdish he wants me to install on a pole. Seems the 2 support arms will not hold the dish, even tightening them as far as they will go. If I put it on a pole, won't need the support arms. The big question, what diameter and type of pole? Something like a chain link fence post? Thanks in advance for your help! Fred
There are two types of super dishes..MAke sure it say "Super Dish" on th eface of the reflector...the original (type 1) used a 2 3/8"pole..Those have not been in use for quite some time...The type 2 dish uses a 2" pole..Measure the clamp then make your purchase

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)