What Slimline dish and LNB do I need for a single H24 receiver ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TexRedNK

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Dallas Tx Burbs
Hey Guys, Been awhile since I was here. I have been using legacy HTL-HD receivers for years and have always done my own installs. Thought I'd move up to the 21st century and check out HD reception in the Dallas, Tx area. I particularly liked the HTL-HD receivers because they had OTA tuners. During a rain deluge I could switch over to OTA for the local radar and weather.

NOW: I have purchased a H24-200 receiver and the Access card will be arriving soon. I also have purchased the basic Slimline 3 Dish and mount and temporary mounted it on a shipping pallet and weighted it with blocks to make it stable in my back yard for field testing.

I have also bought two LNBs, a SL3KA4NR0-02 with four connectors and what appears to be (Green Label missing) SL3S4NR2-14. I also have the 21 V power inserter and the 4 way splitter in case I wanted to add another HD receiver.

From what I have read, the SL3KA4NR0-02 would require the B-Band Converter ? i am thinking I don't need all this equipment. Also, what satellites do I need to point to. Appears it is a different set that I used for the HTL-HD receivers ?
?
So my Question is: What do I really need for a single H24-200 receiver set up ? AND how do I connect them ?
Regards, Doug

You can use either LNB. The 4 port LNB w/o SWM is a good option for one receiver, you wouldn't need the power inserter unless you use the SWM LNB. You do need B-Band on the receiver if you use the non-swm.

Aim is at 99/101/103. You aim at 101 then peak it for 99/103. With non-swm you just run a line from the LNB to the receiver w/ BBand Converter, ground block in the middle somewhere for permanent install.

Final Alignment of SL3 dish with simple analog meter ?

Ok jcrandall. for the info. I decided to run with the SL3KA4NR0-02 LNB and the 21 V power inserter. I had the field test location set up and running once. I had signals from 101 running in the 90s for most of the transponders.
My location for ZIP 75044 is very near 97 degrees Latitude. So my azimuth is 182 degrees, almost due south. Now I had to tear down the field test because the guys had to mow the yard. BTW. My cable run is about 85 feet with Altex's quad shielded RG6 cable that seems to be rated up to 3.0 GBs.

Next problem: I only have a simple analog Winguard signal meter that is commonly used to set up the 18 inch single satellite dish. On the Slimline 3 dish, locating peaks on the dish are very weak. I was told by a local sales person at Altex.com that it would be very tricky !! I see several moderately priced ($150 or less) satellite signal finders on EBay that I might be interested in as an investment for future dish alignment set ups. Does anyone on the forum have any recommendations for a brand and model in that price range. I might also want to use it with linear LNBs for my FTA dish alignments.

One final thought on a signal meter: I can easily bring the H24 tuner to the location where the dish will be permanently installed and use a monitor to peak the dish using the signal strength menu on the tuner. Since the SL3 dish has micro-adjustment screws, do I need to peak on any particular satellite ? 99, 101, or 103 ?
? Thanks again for the DTV Forums responses !

Your cheep meter Works fine with the non swim lnb!
I use a non swim lnb to set up and change to sl3 swim With Power inserter after set up
If you buy a more expensive meter BE SURE that it will work on SWIM system -I made this mistake
?Don
PS . Its a real PITA to change sat settings from swim to non swim in setup but auto the other way around
When its all said & done its a lot easier to use the non swim & BBconverters
FWIW

Last edited:
Thanks Don. I have both. Not a major task to switch LNBs. I do have a portable power source that uses two 9 v batteries in series connected to a push on male F connector. Real handy when setting up the zero position on a FTS motorized dish. Will keep the forum posted on my progress with the DTV SL3 dish. George

Hey Don, your advice worked well ! I got solid peaks on the birds 99, 101 and 103 using the 4 output no/SWM LNB. But that was only in my field test in the back yard. My permanent install site has problems with tree foliage. I think it the near overhead limbs of the tree I am installing under and not the ones on the front of the property.
Taking site angle measurements to determine the look angle to the birds. At my latitude, (33 degrees) there is about a 5.5 declination angle. That should mean that the angle from the LNB to the dish and back to the birds would be less than my latitude of 33 degrees?? Tonight I will use a high powered spotlight next to an angle device to see what the minimum elevation that is clear of the trees on front of the property. Will keep posting until I solve the signal strength problem.
Still looing for a reasonable priced satellite meter that will work with the DTV SWM systems. Was told by one seller that I can use ASL-1 Switch and Power Insertor to power the LNB in the absence of the DTV tuner.
Doug

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)