What specific cabling is required?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pennstater

Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
pittsburgh
The DirecTV installer was here last week to install the genie and told us our wiring would not work. Our cables were too small or would not be able to handle the HD? What specific kind of cable would we need to buy to do the re-wiring ourselves? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You probably have RG59, which is an older type of cable. RG6 is what is used now, although the RG59 may very well have worked. The installer should have run new cables for you as part of the installation. Did he say why he didn't?

He offered to run the cables along the outside of the house as part of the free installation, but we did not want that. Fishing through walls would have cost extra. So any cable that says RG6 will work? There are no other specifics I need to know? Thanks for your quick response!

He offered to run the cables along the outside of the house as part of the free installation, but we did not want that. Fishing through walls would have cost extra. So any cable that says RG6 will work? There are no other specifics I need to know? Thanks for your quick response!

They say solid copper cable per directv spec but we can all say that's not really the case. As long as you run RG6 to all spots and a solid copper line from the power inserter to the dish you'll be fine. You can get by on the RG6 copper clad steel though with no issues

I agree with Hutch1814. The only other thing I would mention is that if you do the terminating yourself you need to use the newer compression fittings and blue insert feed through connector. The easier way is to just pull an extra foot of RG6 and let the installer terminate them. Both these are requirements by the DirecTV QA department so your installer will want that to be the situation.

And while you are at it you may want to consider pulling a cat5 line to the area where you want to put your HR34. The installer will want to install a wired or wireless CCK when they do the install which will depend on the location of your router now. Later you can determine if you want to wire it directly to your HR34. Or you may decide to just leave things alone. But, while you are making the pull it may just be easier to do it all at the same time. (This is what I did.

There is always something else,
IF you have prewired RG59 it may well be run to some point in an attic in preparation for an over the air antenna (OTA). As mentioned by others the 59 will probably work but may need some retasking. Your satelite system MUST be "homerun" from the dish to the receiver without splitters ( the SWM system excepted, don't ask) or in series. The system should run tfrom the dish to a point near your electric meter (electric ground bond) and from there to your Sat receivers.

And there is the wi-fi Genie / client system that doesn't use no freakin wire! (Almost no freakin wire!):)

Good luck,
Joe

You can get away with using the RG 59 to the clients but i would pull 1 RG-6 to the location you are getting the genie installed. The clients just carry data and not the sat signal. All that is run to the genie.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts