What STB resolution for a Grand Wega?

MicSli

Original poster
May 22, 2004
I have a 50 inch Sony Grand Wega(KF-50WE610). Playing with the resolution modes on the Voom STB has me perplexed. It seems that my picture quality is better on 1080i. Since my sets resolution is 768, shouldn't setting my STB to 720p give me the best picture? Or is it better to leave my TV do the larger conversion from 1080i?

Also, can you tell me how OTA signals are converted with Vooms STB? What is the output?

Set it to 720p. If your Tv won't conflict, set STB to native mode. Your Tv will do a better job of converting than the STB. BTW, very nice TV. I plan on getting one in June.

MicSli said:
I have a 50 inch Sony Grand Wega(KF-50WE610). Playing with the resolution modes on the Voom STB has me perplexed. It seems that my picture quality is better on 1080i. Since my sets resolution is 768, shouldn't setting my STB to 720p give me the best picture? Or is it better to leave my TV do the larger conversion from 1080i?

Also, can you tell me how OTA signals are converted with Vooms STB? What is the output?

If your Sony accepts all resolutions set the STB to native. This is the best solution PQ-wise because it is very likely that your Sony does a better job downconverting 1080i and upconverting 480i to its native 768 resolution than the STB. In other words, let the STB just pass-through the signal with minimal processing.

Same applies to OTA.

Your TV is 1386 x 788, so no particular format will be the "perfect fit." Best bet is trust the people who made the TV. Set the box to native mode, and let the TV do the rest. The only downside to native mode is that the program giude will be in whatever resolution the current channel is in. So when watching SD material, the guide will be displayed in 480i, which makes it look not so great. 1080i may be best for your tv, simply based on whatever algorithms the tv uses to convert it to it's native resolution. My tv looks best in 720p, but that is because it is natively 1280x720.

I have the same TV set (and I love it!). I keep the STB in 1080i fixed. This looks best to me. Most of HD channels on VOOM are 1080i (Cinema 10, Monsters and Epics are currently 720p, but this is temporary). Since GWIII has to do rescaling anyway (to its non-standard resolution) I think it is better not to do one extra rescaling in the STB. Native mode is probably the best, but I don't use it for two reasons:
1. Current software drops signal/synchronization when switching from one resolution to another causing that annoying "snow" for a second or two.
2. I don't like to see the PG and the SurfBar change size when I switch from channel to channel.

I have to agree with 1080i. I have the KF60XBR800 and was running at 720p for a while but with the new software, I changed to 1080i and have stayed there.

I've got the 60" GWIII.

At one time, running the STB at native provided the best picture, particularly noticable on 480i. See, double scaling a 480i signal to 1080i, then back down to 788p causes a loss of real resolution.

I'll have to see if with the new software that this has changed.

By the way, Cinama 10 is still 720p. It started off as 1080i and got switched to 720p along the way. They were suppose to switch it back, but as far as I know, they didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts