What switch do i need?

TRADE4JKA

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Need your help please....

I have one coax coming from a dish 300 pointing at 61.5 and I have a dish 500 with 110 and 119 coaxes coming into my family room.

What switch (or switches) do I need to feed a 211 receiver and a 811 receiver? I only have one coax from 61.5 but I want both receivers to be able to get the 61.5 signal and one of either 110 or 119.

I bought a dp34 but that apparently was the wrong switch. I do not understand the lnb's / switch compatibility very well. Please help!!!

thanks

Ken.

Last edited:
sorry for being a total newbie, is there a quick way to check on my 811 receiver now or do I have to go climb a ladder in the snow to answer the question?

thanks

Last edited:
sorry for being a total newbie, is there a quick way to check on my 311 receiver now or do I have to go climb a ladder in the snow to answer the question?

thanks

What he wants to know is are the LNB's Dish Pro or not. What you can do if you do not want to climb a ladder or if you can not see the LNB's well (DP Has DP on it) run a check switch menu 6-1 something if it takes you through 30 some steps you do not have DP if just a few you do have DP and the DP34 should work if both dishes have DP LNB's.

Okay, I climbed the ladder because I do not have a switch installed now. I do not believe they are dish pro's.

the dish 300 has a digital lnbf 214-5100-400 and has nothing that is stamped DP.

THE DISH 500 ALSO DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING STAMPED DP. THE ONLY STICKER ON IT SAID IT WAS A DIGITAL LNBF. I DO NOT THINK THIS IS A PRO EITHER. THERE WAS NO OTHER NUMBERS ON IT.

HOPE THIS HELPS. I USED TO JUST HAVE A SW-21 BEFORE THAT BROKE, NOW I HAVE NO SWITCH.. JUST 1 COAX GOING STRAIGHT INTO MY 811 RECEIVER. SORRY I TYPED 311 ABOVE BY MISTAKE.

well simplest is get a DP twin And a DP single or dual and a DP34 change em all out. You also could probably find some SW21's on the classified forum or Fleabay for pretty cheap the other option is a SW42 I may have some of that if you can't find it not the LNBls though my reccomendation is get the LNB's

Thanks for the reply, I am looking for the cheapest option as $$$ are scarce.

I would do the two sw21's but that doesn't solve my issue with needing 61.5 and 1 of 110 and 119 to 2 receivers.

Will the sw42 take the one coax from my 61.5 and 1 for 119 and 1 for 110 and output to two receivers? remember I am limited by the single coax for 61.5. I am thinking the lnb's are going to be too expensive.

I want to make sure that this will work with the 211 receiver that I am going to get and my existing 811. Please confirm

Thanks

Sounds like your Dish 500 has a legacy Twin and your 300's legacy LNB is hopefully a dual.

Get two SW21s. Run the outputs of the Twin to input 1 on each, run the outputs of the 61.5 dual input 2 on each, connect to receivers, run a check switch. If you don't care about getting the public interest channels on the 811, get just one SW21 for the 211.

Another option is to convert to DishPro. Get a DP Plus Twin for the Dish 500 and a DP Dual for the 300. Run the Dual into the DPP Twin's input, and then direct from the DPP Twin to each receiver. No external switch needed, and you can upgrade later to a dual-tuner receiver without having to run more line.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it is a legacy single. I am looking to buy a legacy dual and 2 sw21's.

I just found a guy on craigslist that I was going to buy the dual lnbf from, but he said the legacy lnb's won't work with the new 211 receiver???

Is this true? - I am getting conflicting information???

Please help.:confused:

Okay, I climbed the ladder because I do not have a switch installed now. I do not believe they are dish pro's.

the dish 300 has a digital lnbf 214-5100-400 and has nothing that is stamped DP.

THE DISH 500 ALSO DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING STAMPED DP. THE ONLY STICKER ON IT SAID IT WAS A DIGITAL LNBF. I DO NOT THINK THIS IS A PRO EITHER. THERE WAS NO OTHER NUMBERS ON IT.

HOPE THIS HELPS. I USED TO JUST HAVE A SW-21 BEFORE THAT BROKE, NOW I HAVE NO SWITCH.. JUST 1 COAX GOING STRAIGHT INTO MY 811 RECEIVER. SORRY I TYPED 311 ABOVE BY MISTAKE.
your set up requires Dish Pro LNB's....You can order these from any one of the many satellite retailer sponsors listed at the top of the home page of this forum.....And they are not very expensive.....Good luck...
Oh once you get these and install them (One Dish Pro Twin LNB to your Dish 500 and One Dish Pro Dual LNB on your Dish 300) Run one cable from the Dish 300 to the 34 switch and two cablesfrom the twin at the 500 to the switch

Okay, I am still getting conflicting responses even on this thread.:confused:

Who has a working 211 receiver with legacy lnb's?

Can someone show me where on the internet that shows that this will work? :eureka

I prefer to go w/ legacy due to cost, but will pay for dish pros if I have to.

Thanks everyone!!!

Connect your dish 500 to the 211 then go to menu 6-1-1 and run a switch test it should do 38 tests if it is legacy and if the 211 gives correct results that means it will work with your LNBs. What are you expecting to get off 61.5 HDTV, the 811 should no longer get HDTV because it is MPEG2 only. If I am right all you need is the single LNB on 61.5 and 1 SW-21 switch for the 211.

Just use a Dish Pro Plus twin and a dish pro dual LNB and you wont need the DP34 at all. These are $15-20 each on ebay. This way you can also use a dual tuner down the road with one cable as well.

You can use legacy lnbs for a 211 but then you would need a switch. Why bother?

Thank You All!!!

I am amazed with all the responses. Sounds like both types of lnbs will work.

Thanks again.

Well I did it. I picked up the dp twin and dp dual and swapped the legacy lnbs out. I used the dp34 switch that I had and it worked all fine.

one question.... the dp 34 is in the family room for now because all 3 sat feeds were there already. Is this a problem? I did ground the dp34 switch, but was noticing a few static electricity shocks.

Is this okay or do I need to put the switch right where it enters the basement and ground it there?
This would require cutting 3 coax short, putting connectors there, inserting the dp34 switch and then running coax from the dp34 to the receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)