What the f*&% with the emergency broadcasts

garlandtxuser

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Garland, Texas
:mad: OK, I know everyone reading does not live in Texas but was anyone else annoyed with the overwhelming emergency alerts last night. I had 5 ER's recorded. I was watching a recordrd show because I got fed up with the weather people listening to themselves talk and each time they broadcast the stupid emergency alert, which was every 10-15 minutes, it would jump out of the recording and make me start back at the begining rather than resume from where they cut me off.

Come on Verizon, one alert every 30 minutes max is enough. 5 during one broadcast hour is stark raving mad, which in turn made me the same last night.

Also, lets get the software fixed so that the recordings resume after these alerts rather than make anyone watching them start the program again. Also lets get the recordings to temporarily stop and then continue. Who wants 5 15-20 minute clips of a show recorded!:eek:

Not only did they have too many in a short period, the volume was cranked WAY up! I feed my sound through the receiver and have the volume on the TV turned all the way down. Even with the sound on the receive muted I STILL heard the announcement. What's the reason for that???

sbh

I seriously doubt verizon is to blame, they do not make the emergency broadcasts. Emergency people/police/local government do. And if you had comcast or another local cable provider, you would have gotten the same message too. Your spat is aimed at the wrong people.

I seriously doubt verizon is to blame, they do not make the emergency broadcasts. Emergency people/police/local government do. And if you had comcast or another local cable provider, you would have gotten the same message too. Your spat is aimed at the wrong people.

My 'spat' is with Verizon. Although the frequency is a problem the feature set, or what the box does, after the broadcast is the real issue. If recording a show, it stops the recording and then starts a new one. So, during a single 30 minute show you could have 10 different recordings if they interrupted 9 times during the show. If you were watching a recording and had watched 45 minutes of a 2 hour show it would drop out of recordrd mode and you would have to restart the show from the very begining. Yes, you can forward fast to the point that you left off, but that takes time and by the time you get there you forget, for us older folks, what had been going on before it dropped out.

You also say that the NWS issues these and Verizon is obligated to transmit. I do not think that you have your facts clear. I can assure you that had the Superbowl or some other 'major' event been playing they would have been much less intrusive. :mad:

My 'spat' is with Verizon. Although the frequency is a problem the feature set, or what the box does, after the broadcast is the real issue. If recording a show, it stops the recording and then starts a new one. So, during a single 30 minute show you could have 10 different recordings if they interrupted 9 times during the show. If you were watching a recording and had watched 45 minutes of a 2 hour show it would drop out of recordrd mode and you would have to restart the show from the very begining. Yes, you can forward fast to the point that you left off, but that takes time and by the time you get there you forget, for us older folks, what had been going on before it dropped out.

You also say that the NWS issues these and Verizon is obligated to transmit. I do not think that you have your facts clear. I can assure you that had the Superbowl or some other 'major' event been playing they would have been much less intrusive. :mad:

I bet that they would have done the very same thing If something happened during the superbowl and they didn't get the warning across, then that's a bigger lawsuit than all of the Dishnetwork suits combined!

You have only one thing to blaim, and that's the Government.

I bet that they would have done the very same thing If something happened during the superbowl and they didn't get the warning across, then that's a bigger lawsuit than all of the Dishnetwork suits combined!

You have only one thing to blaim, and that's the Government.

Please read my post carefully. I never said that they would not have broadcast the warning, I stated that it would have been less frequent.

Moving down to the other posts, the real annoying part is that when they do disrupt, it causes everyting the box is doing to reset. If you are watching a recorded show, it resets to the begining and drops to television, if you are recording something, it stops the recording and starts a new one when the message completes rather than append to the existing recording. If you are watching a pay per view, it drops you out but I am unsure if it restarts from the begining or if it picks up where you left off.

While I understand the need to notify people, even if they are too stupid to see the rain and big funnel cloud outside their window:rolleyes: , when bad weather is approaching, I see no reason for crappy hardware/software to perform like theirs does, and I see no reason to rebroadcast the stupid messages any more than once every half hour. Again, most people know what the weather is like unless they live in a cave, in which case it really does not matter. That's just one reason there are windows on homes.:D

I've only had VIOS TV for about 2 weeks, and have had two emergency broadcast tests, both at the worst time possible - during a crucial point in a program, and with 2 outs, bases loaded and the winning run at third (Red Sox game). Never had these tests during all the years I had Cox. Is this typical with Verizon. Otherwise, I love FIOS TV :D

I've only had VIOS TV for about 2 weeks, and have had two emergency broadcast tests, both at the worst time possible - during a crucial point in a program, and with 2 outs, bases loaded and the winning run at third (Red Sox game). Never had these tests during all the years I had Cox. Is this typical with Verizon. Otherwise, I love FIOS TV :D

I only assume that you live in the New England area. Wait until your first hurrican or toronado comes through, or they suspect one might possible be within 200 miles of you. You think it was bad during the test:eek:.

I only assume that you live in the New England area. Wait until your first hurrican or toronado comes through, or they suspect one might possible be within 200 miles of you. You think it was bad during the test:eek:.

Yes, I live in Rhode Island and hopefully the only thing I will get is "test" alerts for a long time to come, I was watching live TV both times so didn't realize that it would effect recorded programs. I can hardly wait for that :mad: Regarding two previous comments, I agree the volume level was really high, and wonder who actually requires these tests, since, as I said before, in all the years I had Cox cable I have never had one of these tests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)