What the future may hold. The "supertuner","'groups".

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
The Google TV box for Google fiber can record 8 channels at once. So the technology is there.

I often find that with dish (or any provider for that matter), carrying over 250 channels, with about 30 being ones I like, it's hard to record everything at once ,especially a with a 3 tuner box. While the Directv Genie does have 5, it still does not cut it.

So that age old dilemma of picking and choosing what to record (and what to not record, due to tuner constraints). Will soon be over.

I see the possibility of a 12-16 tuner DVR 3 years or less. Instead of using coxial cable, the lnb will be powered, and video downstream will be via fiber optic.

While ala carte will never be a reality, I think "groups" would provide for a much better option. Group all the channels in groups of 5 or so, and then sub to each "group".

A group for comedy, a group for news, a group for sports, a group for kids, etc.

We could all save money each month if this would become possible. I pay for a lot of channels I don't even watch. The top 250 package comes with channels I want, to pay more for the top250, but there are a bunch of channels it comes with I never use.

The technology is already there. Get two (or three or four) Hoppers and you'll have more tuners.

Plus you get twice (or three or four times) the space and most important of all, redundancy. If one Hopper fails, you'll still have another Hopper(s) as backup.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

The Google TV box for Google fiber can record 8 channels at once. So the technology is there.

I often find that with dish (or any provider for that matter), carrying over 250 channels, with about 30 being ones I like, it's hard to record everything at once ,especially a with a 3 tuner box. While the Directv Genie does have 5, it still does not cut it.

So that age old dilemma of picking and choosing what to record (and what to not record, due to tuner constraints). Will soon be over.

I see the possibility of a 12-16 tuner DVR 3 years or less. Instead of using coxial cable, the lnb will be powered, and video downstream will be via fiber optic.

A Google TV box has no tuners. Hopper can already recording 8 streams at time (4 PTAT + 2 Tuners + OTA + IP VOD download). What your describing would require Dish to leap-frog past SWM-like tech to a next level. I don't see them doing that unless the market pressure is insurmountable.

For all the talk of a 5 or 6 tuner Hopper, my guess is we'll be lucky if the 2014 Hopper is a 4 tuner box, using the available bandwidth slot on the DPX cable.

A Google TV box has no tuners. Hopper can already recording 8 streams at time (4 PTAT + 2 Tuners + OTA + IP VOD download). What your describing would require Dish to leap-frog past SWM-like tech to a next level. I don't see them doing that unless the market pressure is insurmountable.

For all the talk of a 5 or 6 tuner Hopper, my guess is we'll be lucky if the 2014 Hopper is a 4 tuner box, using the available bandwidth slot on the DPX cable.

What they should do is just skip the receivers completely, and make a switch/receiver combo with 4 tuners and just bring 1 cat5 cable from the roof (using POE to power it), plug that in the local network. Then all u need is the current joeys and a joey with a hard disk. I think a gigabit network could deal with enough HD streams.

Why do some people find it so hard to consider having more than one Hopper if they need extra tuners? Why would you want only one device that had 8 tuners on it? To me that seems overkill especially since you would need devices in other rooms to get picture to those TVs anyway.

Why do some people find it so hard to consider having more than one Hopper if they need extra tuners? Why would you want only one device that had 8 tuners on it? To me that seems overkill especially since you would need devices in other rooms to get picture to those TVs anyway.

I believe it's because the 2nd Hopper is $7. extra a month,plus the xxx upgrade fee?

I never could understand how you could do a 4 room install with just 3 tuners.If you figure at least one tuner per room which you would need 4 tuners,then of course you would need 5 tuners,one for PIP,one more tuner for good measures to Sling by,would make the need for 6.The USB OTA tuner could be just a extra for OTA users to have.:)

I believe it's because the 2nd Hopper is $7. extra a month,plus the xxx upgrade fee?

I never could understand how you could do a 4 room install with just 3 tuners.If you figure at least one tuner per room which you would need 4 tuners,then of course you would need 5 tuners,one for PIP,one more tuner for good measures to Sling by,would make the need for 6.The USB OTA tuner could be just a extra for OTA users to have.:)

The extra receiver fee is just a wash. You would need some form of box in the other rooms to watch TV anyway and they would cost you $7. The only difference would be the upfront fee which is well worth it.

In my case I wanted 4 hookups. Originally I was thinking 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys because that's what Dish was saying at the time. My extra receiver fees would have been $21. Then it hit me, why not just get two Hoppers and 2 Joeys. It cost some more upfront but my extra receiver fees are still $21 and now i have twice as many tuners. I can't see a way of getting 6 tuners and HD to all TVs for any cheaper.

Outside of network PrimeTime, I don't feel a need for more than what my Hopper provides. Cable channels repeat their shows so frequently, I just record a later airing.

I suspect Dish would get a lot of takers if they came out with a Hopper with more than 3 tuners... Perhaps next year at CES....

I think that if you are using a 10/100 switch and have enough joeys running over the network instead of moca, you could eventually burn out your router. A gig switch would not have that issue.

No, you will not burn out a 10/100 switch! Remember, you can't shove more than it's designed bandwidth through such a switch, even if you plug it into faster equipment. The faster equipment will fall back to 100Mbps.

I suspect Dish would get a lot of takers if they came out with a Hopper with more than 3 tuners...

Or, the full/seamless integration that was reported at CES 2012. Or am I misremembering that?

I don't believe that Dish ever promised "full/seamless" integration. They just promised "more" integration.

So a 6 tuner Hopper would have full/seamless intergration,that would be nice as you could setup/watch anything from any TV,and I would guess you would only need one USB OTA tuner module?.:)

Yep pretty much, if one ever came to existence. With the current technology it would need two lines ran to the receiver. If it still only had a 2TB drive that would be half the space of two 3-tuner Hoppers though, and you couldn't have two OTA tuners, just one. No money would be saved in monthly fees as the Joey is still $7. You would also lose PiP on the Joey TV with the 6-tuner Hopper + a Joey vs two Hoppers. As it currently stands, you can share tuners between Hoppers (including OTA) by simply recording them. The only feature that's really missing is the ability to set recordings between Hoppers. I just set up recurring recordings on the Hopper I'm not currently sitting at then I manage the Hopper I'm sitting at. Also, I have a Joey on WiFi that can manage all the Hoppers if needed. A sort-of "command station," if you will.

I personally like not having to worry about the other Hopper users in the house interrupting my Hooper and vice-versa. With a single six-tuner Hopper, could be more chances of folks fighting over tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)