What to do now

VewDew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Northern California
Has anyone else felt like they have no clue what to do about Voom now? I have been a subscriber since 2/2004. I have enjoyed it, hated it, enjoyed it, hated it...you get the picture. I am also a D* subscriber because of the sports packages and I have the new D* HD tivo. Once the HD tivo came out I cut back on Voom waiting on what was going to happen. My main problem is that I was a $700 purchaser of the receiver, I did get the refund and watched Voom for free for a few months so I have no problem with the price I paid, my only question is, What is next? I would like to hear from Voom or E* what they have planned. If it's sorry you are stuck, OK, just let me know!

I know what you mean. I purchased my first HDTV back in Sep '04 and then signed up with Voom in Nov. I knew that Voom would probably not make it in the long run, I just felt like we had a couple more years before a buyout.

I studied Voom for at least six months before i subscribed. The number of HD channels ( particularly HBO, Max, Show, & Starz) and the overall pq was the deciding factor. Receiver rental was also key ( the best decision I made, it turns out.)

Now I'm looking at Dtv & Dish and I'm just sad. HDnet will be nice, I think, but both services need more premiums. NOW. Not next year. Sure local HD will be nice some day when the AL channels are made available. If ever. But what will I watch until then? As for sports I love College Football and F1 racing. I don't need Sunday ticket, ANY baseball or God forbid any aspects of the NBA. So I'm covered on sports. I'm working on my antenna for OTA local HD.

And now I have to buy an HD receiver after all. But Mpeg-4 is also "coming soon." From my research over the last two days Dtv seems to have the edge in HD-STB quality and they also have a working HD-DVR (for $850 - $999). Does anyone have any good reasons for me to keep considering dish at all?

And I agree. Some details from E or voom would really help, I think.

Dish just went and aquired one of Vooms satellites, so either they are just trying to put Voom under or they are going to expand on their HD content.
Chuck

Howaraj1013 said:
I know what you mean. I purchased my first HDTV back in Sep '04 and then signed up with Voom in Nov. I knew that Voom would probably not make it in the long run, I just felt like we had a couple more years before a buyout.

I studied Voom for at least six months before i subscribed. The number of HD channels ( particularly HBO, Max, Show, & Starz) and the overall pq was the deciding factor. Receiver rental was also key ( the best decision I made, it turns out.)

Now I'm looking at Dtv & Dish and I'm just sad. HDnet will be nice, I think, but both services need more premiums. NOW. Not next year. Sure local HD will be nice some day when the AL channels are made available. If ever. But what will I watch until then? As for sports I love College Football and F1 racing. I don't need Sunday ticket, ANY baseball or God forbid any aspects of the NBA. So I'm covered on sports. I'm working on my antenna for OTA local HD.

And now I have to buy an HD receiver after all. But Mpeg-4 is also "coming soon." From my research over the last two days Dtv seems to have the edge in HD-STB quality and they also have a working HD-DVR (for $850 - $999). Does anyone have any good reasons for me to keep considering dish at all?

And I agree. Some details from E or voom would really help, I think.

I see you're in the same boat that I'm in. I've gotten so used to having all of those HD channels that now it seems like a downgrade if I switch to D*, E*, or local cable. And to add insult to injury, I'm going to be moving in the next week, so I really have to make a decision very soon. The problem with D* & E* to me is that they have so many different receivers. I'm just trying to figure out which receivers are my best options, despite the programming available for both companies (I know both companies will be promising more HD in the future).

I know whatever happens to Voom is out of our control. The fate of Voom was never in our control in the first place. If the signal goes dark in ten minutes, ten days or ten months we can not change that outcome.

I for one wish to remain optimistic that Voom will survive in it's entirety or at least the channels I love will show up with another provider. Until we have to make a decision why not just sit back and enjoy what we are fortunate to have for the moment?

With all the rhetoric thrown about on this forum and others, the picture is no clearer today of Voom's future as it was six months ago. All we can do is hope and give our continued support.

Smiley79 said:
The problem with D* & E* to me is that they have so many different receivers. I'm just trying to figure out which receivers are my best options, despite the programming available for both companies (I know both companies will be promising more HD in the future).

I can guarantee one thing whichever receiver you purchase, will be obselete in two months. I wished they would just lease the darn things!

Cliff said:
I can guarantee one thing whichever receiver you purchase, will be obselete in two months. I wished they would just lease the darn things!

That's one thing that I noticed as well. I really don't want to buy a receiver that's going to be obsolete when mpeg4 becomes the norm.

Cliff said:

Leasing is a double-edged sword. If they can recover a significant portion of their costs on a sold unit when you hook it up or walk out of the store with it, they have incentive to develop better boxes more frequently. If they'e leasing the box to you they lose much of their incentive to put out a new, cutting edge box, then run back and develop another one, since all recovery of the development costs is either "soft" or back ended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)