What to do with Dish pointing at 148?

chibi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Looks like they moved the foreign stations out of 148 and my locals are no longer on it either (the reason I was given a 148), so can I just disconnect it?

What is dish going to use 148 for?

Yep, you can just disconnect it. When you get it disconnected run "Check Switch" to clear it out of the receivers memory.

With E5 replacing E1 my signal levels at 148 have doubled but now the signal is lost for 10 minutes at a time 2 to 3 times an hour due to the infamous wooble while the satellite does not stay oriented toward earth. This makes 148 and any remaining free public info channels there that you may be eligible to receive unreliable. Up until 2 months ago before Ciel-2 @ 129 I don't know how they ever used E5 at 129, unless the wobble has gotten worse now at 148 or they have lost all gyros at this point. Good luck at 77 west Echo 1, your gonna need it!

Cue the echostar satellite fleet on the move theme song from sanford & son.

With E5 replacing E1 my signal levels at 148 have doubled but now the signal is lost for 10 minutes at a time 2 to 3 times an hour due to the infamous wooble while the satellite does not stay oriented toward earth. This makes 148 and any remaining free public info channels there that you may be eligible to receive unreliable. Up until 2 months ago before Ciel-2 @ 129 I don't know how they ever used E5 at 129, unless the wobble has gotten worse now at 148 or they have lost all gyros at this point. Good luck at 77 west Echo 1, your gonna need it!

Cue the echostar satellite fleet on the move theme song from sanford & son.

They are letting it wobble more since no one is using. E1 should do decently at 77 from what I've seen.

They are letting it wobble more since no one is using. E1 should do decently at 77 from what I've seen.

Is it really a matter of letting it wobble more now or it just wobbles because it has some major on board failures which redundancy cannot correct.

Seems like E1 must be a weaker albiet more stable satellite, 120w vs 240w output. While at 148 I got 50% to 70% with E1, with E5 I get 110% at the peak of the wobble, so either the E1 footprint there was comprimised or the output power was half. I am using an old 26" voom dish/LNBF from FL repurposed for 148 at a 12 degree elevation angle.

Would be interested to hear what levels people are now seeing from 148 from around the country since yesterday when everything seemed to move to "the wobblerer" E5. my levels peak at 110% then gradually drop to 0% then peak at 110% this happens over and over again on about a 20 minute interval. Since I have a sideways view from 80 west to 148 west, I wonder if someone from 120 west also drops to 0 every 20 minutes or if it is just the wobble is worse on the edge.

Used to be the place for a better quality HD feed for HBO and Showtime but 148 seems to be on its way to abandonment like 157

The SD internationals at 148 also had better quality than the remaining double stuffed QPSK TPs @ 61.5, 118.75 has less compression than 61.5 but you get a lot of medium power FSS range rain fade problems with 118.

148 was a nice backup to have to the west, when you have clouds to the southeast (61.5) or to southwest (118).

I never had the chance to see anything @ 157 when they had a satellite parked there, would have been at an Elev of 2.
Don't remember if echostar ever broadcast anything officially available to customers from 157 or if it was just a placeholder which they eventually had to abandon. With 148 my dish appears to look down but since there is nothing on the horizon I have a clear look at 148. Makes an interesting conversation piece between the voom logo and the pointing at the ground factor!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts