What to do with old Dish Antennas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
global0 said:
I thought that I'd got it, but the "22k switch" and "DISEqC" confused me. how does your setup look like? Sorry about the ignorance ;(

really bad drawing below..

receiver-----diseqc switch----port 1----G10 dish
------------------------------------port 2----feed from motorized dish
------------------------------------port 3----22k switch-----0K side----119
------------------------------------------------------------------22k side----91

yes I could probably run 2 lines to the switch but since it was about a 25 foot run, I figuired it was easier to run one line and use a 22k switch to choose between the LNB's

Here is a partial view of my setup. The Coolsat controls the Motorized Dish (the M dish)

The other receiver can choose from G10, the motorized (whatever satellite it’s on) and the music channels. I have one receiver (the old Viacast) that is set up just for the audio channels and hooked up through the stereo in the garage.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    25 KB · Views: 218
Iceberg said:

------------------------------------------------------------------22k side----91

yes I could probably run 2 lines to the switch but since it was about a 25 foot run, I figuired it was easier to run one line and use a 22k switch to choose between the LNB's

Great. So, one should be able to get similar results by just using a setup like this:

reciever --------------------------------diseqc-port1 ------------------- 82
diseqc-port2 ------------------- 91
diseqc-port3 ------------------- 110
diseqc-port4 ------------------- 119

Or the similar but simpler version of using just a two port for 82 and 110, right?

[EDIT] somehow the editor does not line up the "diseqc" ports under each other, but they are assumed to be the four ports on the same unit.

Last edited:
Gotcha, Thanks!
Let's hope it doesn't rain this weekend. There is a salvage yard here that I am going to check out at lunch time for a couple of old d-500 dishes :-D

Last edited:
Greg Mueller said:
I want to try this between the house and shop.
Turn one into a WiFi transmitter and the other into a receiver

http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.html

I have done this in the past and was able to get very very good reception (almost 2 miles) with 802.11b (it went from a storage building to the house. It is however directional, and IT IS VERY VERY TOUCHY. (I said that in caps because it is important). All in all a good project (although I used Dish Network Dishes in mine the primestar dish would be better, I just put my primestar dishes to better use).

Chris

I wonder if the 802.11 g would work better (have a farther range) when using the dishes in a wi-fi setup. How much more range can you get with the Primestar/SuperDish? With a C-Band dish? Do the mesh dishes make a difference in the signal compared to the solid ones?

I found an article on the net about contests that they have once a year to see who can WiFi the farthest. One guy did 25 miles with 2 buds. I think they were about 10'. I can't find the article now, drat
CORRECTION ! It was 125 miles!!!!!!
http://www.wifi-shootout.com/

Last edited:
I dont know how far it would have gone but mine was right at 2 miles. I figure it would have gone quite a bit farther if I had pushed it.

Iceberg said:

All right back on the audio track, I picked up a couple of old d-500 dishes (one of them has a single LNB and the other one has a dual) and I started the test simple. So I pointed the the single LNB dish to 119. Scanning brought up a few audio channels all right (there were more but the rest of them are scrambled). I thought that it was all fine until I started playing around. when I was in the transponder menu, I noticed that it can only see one side of the transmission (I don't remember whether it was H or R but it was consistent). So, it got me curious, why is that?

Last edited:
Does the Dish 500 have a Twin (the bigger LNB...looks like 2 combined together)

If you are only getting one polarity, it must be a Dishpro. DishPro stacks the frequencies on top of each other. Dang it, I know there is a way to do it but you have to do a conversion....It makes all the polarities vertical.

If you can blind scan, that might solve it...let me see if I can find it

Iceberg said:
Does the Dish 500 have a Twin (the bigger LNB...looks like 2 combined together)

If you are only getting one polarity, it must be a Dishpro. DishPro stacks the frequencies on top of each other. Dang it, I know there is a way to do it but you have to do a conversion....It makes all the polarities vertical.

If you can blind scan, that might solve it...let me see if I can find it

Yes, the other one has a dual LNB. But I thought I'd start simple and went for the single.
No blind scan ;( Its on the shopping list. I have a dreambox and a CW600 and none of them has a Blind Scan. Or let me put it this way, it is not documented ;) So, I am not aware.

oh yeah...the so called "blind scan" on the Captiveworks. I have one of them too

See my link above and see if that works.

Thank You Sir! That thread is very informative. I'll try it tonite and report, but based on the thread, it should work.

Can you use directv dish+LNB to pickup these audio channels? The guy at the salvage yard had a few of them too. I am trying to avoid the band stacking problem and conversion, etc.

DirecTv LNB's (as long as it isnt the Phase III which has 2 LNB's) will work great

Old Dish Network Legacy (the ones that don't have the Dishpro logo on them) work great too

Thank You! I'll try the "Elchucko" algorithm (I am formally naming it after him ;) ) with the one that I have and if it doesn't work for whatever reason, I'll try a D*TV dish. Thanks again! Ya, da maaan! :up

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)