What to expect from locals picture quality?

All with picture qualityproblems write and e-mail to dishquality@echostar.com.

They don't even know you are seeing a problem unless you write them. They have up to 81 cities to keep up with at the uplink center and they need input on the problems in order to fix them. They worked with me on both the Little Rock locals and Houston locals and now both cities are fine . I have a 50 inch tv and can see any problems with the picture, so I am pretty critical of what I see.

The engineers at this department told me they encourage ALL who see problems to e-mail them and they will write you back. Be very descriptive of what you see in both audo and picture quality problems. Leave a phone number they can reach you at during the day and if necessary they will call you and work with you on the phone like they did me.

One other thing I suggest to all who see artifacts like pixels in dark contrast scenes. Calibrate your tvs. Turn the contrast and brightness way down to less than 1/2 and turn the sharpness to less than a 1/3. Then adjust the color to what looks lifelike.

Most people have these controls turned up , way up and this is not right for satellite tv. I have mine adjusted using a dvd by Sound & vision Home Theater Tune -UP. I NO LONGER SEE ANY ARTIFACTS and my viewing is now a pleasure.

Maybe Satellite providers should include a tv tune up by the installers so the picture looks best with satellite.

Bill R said:
Even cable looks good on a 27 inch TV. Many of us have 46 inch (or larger) TVs and the locals tend to be more of a problem. One of my neighbors recently purchased a 50 inch widescreen TV (about $3500) and all he does is complain about the picture quality.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't expect locals to look that good on a large-screen TV until they are in HD. The resolution just isn't there to support such a large screen. It's like using a 21" computer monitor at 640x480 and 16 colors - of course it's going to look like crap.

Dennis

MikeD-C05 said:
All with picture qualityproblems write and e-mail to dishquality@echostar.com.

They don't even know you are seeing a problem unless you write them. They have up to 81 cities to keep up with at the uplink center and they need input on the problems in order to fix them. They worked with me on both the Little Rock locals and Houston locals and now both cities are fine . I have a 50 inch tv and can see any problems with the picture, so I am pretty critical of what I see.

The engineers at this department told me they encourage ALL who see problems to e-mail them and they will write you back. Be very descriptive of what you see in both audo and picture quality problems. Leave a phone number they can reach you at during the day and if necessary they will call you and work with you on the phone like they did me.

One other thing I suggest to all who see artifacts like pixels in dark contrast scenes. Calibrate your tvs. Turn the contrast and brightness way down to less than 1/2 and turn the sharpness to less than a 1/3. Then adjust the color to what looks lifelike.

Most people have these controls turned up , way up and this is not right for satellite tv. I have mine adjusted using a dvd by Sound & vision Home Theater Tune -UP. I NO LONGER SEE ANY ARTIFACTS and my viewing is now a pleasure.

Maybe Satellite providers should include a tv tune up by the installers so the picture looks best with satellite.

You're right, the other day I was playing with the settings and 'Sharpness' makes a huuuuuuge difference. If you have it set it the sharpest, you'll see artifacts EVERYWHERE. Set it to about half way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts