What to go with? Voom or DirecTV

xtc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Hi,

I'm trying to decide what satellite service to go with. I have had dish network for 5 years now, but I am leaving because they do NOTHING for existing customers. While everyone will do anything to get a new customer on board. I'm trying to decide between DirecTV or Voom. I was leaning towards Voom because I can get alot of things I can't with DirecTV since most of the channels I watch, Voom will have. But I've been reading this board for about a week and I am amazed at the unbelievable amount of mess-ups that everyone is complaining about. It scares me to go with Voom now. All my years with Dish Network, I have never experienced any of these problems that I keep hearing about here. What do you guys think?

i would go with voom for there high def programming, they offer more then directv or dish, they only lack hdnet and hdmovies, but he pic quality is awesome and the sound 5.1 dd on the high def channels are awesome, i love voom !!!

shaun-ohio said:
the sound 5.1 dd on the high def channels are awesome, i love voom !!!

with the Voom receiver, if i would have optical cable connected for the audio, what would the standard channels sound be?

xtc said:
with the Voom receiver, if i would have optical cable connected for the audio, what would the standard channels sound be?

Depends on the channel - mostly 2.0, I think.

PS - I had the same decision to make about 3 weeks ago - and I've never looked back.

More HD - no contract - no equipment to buy - actually cheaper.

No brainer.

To answer original question ...
I also am pulling plug on Dish. TNT-HD was practically thrown at them. They had/have NO interest in further HD.
I am thoroughly enjoying VOOM right now as well. I do have to get locals with a "locals" package from cable, but they are in HD (I can't get OTA-mts.).
You'll discover SD is a bit better on VOOM (my experience, using 1080i or 480p component feed). The Cinema 10 movies are often only about DVD quality sometimes, but they are just "extra" channels in my book. The others are quite excellent.
The price point isn't bad for soooo many included movie services for 79.90. It's an easy choice, go for it.

Just remember...

Whenver you're reading boards like this you will ALWAYS find more complaints than praise. We tend to complain before we'll give someone praise and this board is no exception.

Now, this is not to say there haven't been issues but some of them have been overblown just a bit. This type of a board is great since you can learn what kinds of problems you might expect.

Overall, my Voom experience has been very good. I've had a few minor issues with my STB but, other than that, the install went well and the service has been great and getting better.

Unfortunately, your first physical contact may not leave a good impression as there are numerous issues with various installers out there. I was lucky and had a clean, easy install. However, keep in mind, if you switch to DTV, you just may have the same installation problem as DTV (in many cases) uses the same installers Voom has contracted with. If you can live with potential install issues you're home free with Voom.

I say, call them today, order Voom with the no money down and the lease on the STB(s). This way, if you don't like it, you can cancel with NO penalty. You have to order before 5/31/04 in order to get this deal though. You basically have very little to lose (a month or so worth of programming).

The Rickster

xtc said:
Hi,

I'm trying to decide what satellite service to go with. I have had dish network for 5 years now, but I am leaving because they do NOTHING for existing customers. While everyone will do anything to get a new customer on board. I'm trying to decide between DirecTV or Voom. I was leaning towards Voom because I can get alot of things I can't with DirecTV since most of the channels I watch, Voom will have. But I've been reading this board for about a week and I am amazed at the unbelievable amount of mess-ups that everyone is complaining about. It scares me to go with Voom now. All my years with Dish Network, I have never experienced any of these problems that I keep hearing about here. What do you guys think?
39 Hd channels + 7 HD OTA = 46 HD channels with Voom.

D*... 6+7 = 13

you decide.

Go with Voom before their offer ends. I have no regrats of switching for cable to Voom.

xtc,
assuming that you are interested in HD and have an HD-capable display (which is not obvious from your post) Voom is the way to go. Frankly, there are no reasonable alternatives.

xtc said:
Hi,

I was leaning towards Voom because I can get alot of things I can't with DirecTV since most of the channels I watch, Voom will have. But I've been reading this board for about a week and I am amazed at the unbelievable amount of mess-ups that everyone is complaining about. It scares me to go with Voom now. All my years with Dish Network, I have never experienced any of these problems that I keep hearing about here. What do you guys think?

XTC --
I left DirecTV to get Voom about two months ago, and I am very happy. Yes, Voom has had some "issues" -- installation problems, hardware problems, software problems, etc. In my case, it took me two months to get a wiring/dish / hardware problem worked out that had been preventing me from seeing StarzHD. But Voom was pretty responsive in trying to help, and the problem got resolved yesterday.
So Voom is not yet as reliable as DirecTV. But its significantly better now than it was when I got installed two months ago, before the last software upgrade. And the amount of HD available is just so much better than DirecTV that there is no comparison -- especially if you go with VaVaVoom. The only HD programming that D* offers that V* does not is HDNet and HDNet Movies -- nice channels, but overpriced the way D* packages them, and not special enough to outweigh everything else available on V*.
In my opinion, the only reasons to go with D* would be either (1) you have little patience for being an early adopter of a new satellite service and want something that you can plug in and know that it will (almost) always work, or (2) some of the SD channels that D* carries and V* doesn't (yet) are really important to you, and (3) either of those is more important than having a wide choice of HD.

Another big Voom advantage: I really like renting the STB rather than having to buy one like with D*. I don't have to invest in something that will become obsolete, and V* is responsible for maintenance of the box. I bought a D* box, it broke down after 2.5 years, and because it was out of warranty, I was expected to pay $120 to fix it. D* eventually came through with an offer to fix it for free, but only after I had been without TV for a month, and by which time I had decided to get V*. In contrast, V* has sent installers to my house four times to work out bugs, and it has not cost me a dime.

xtc,

I left Dish for the same reason..they do nothing for existing customers. I am really enjoying Voom. The problems with my install were very minor and fixed in one trip. The deal that ends on May 31 is practically foolish not to take. Plus, they informed me that they will upgrade all customers that want a DVR to their DVR when they become available at no charge. ( I asked for this in writing, but they wouldn't give it to me).

As a former DirecTV-ite & Dish-ite couldn't be happier with Voom (well, I would be happier if DVR was available today). If you need Sat & DVR then DirecTV is a better option but only for a few months. The timeshifting of east & west premiums on Voom helps offset the lack of DVR in the short term.

you have posted your comments in the Voom forum, you will see more pro-voom people here than pro DirecTV. just to mention it, DirecTV will have 15-20 HD channels by year end, and they will start adding in locals in HD by satellite over the next few years with another round of satellites. This has been annouced in recent earnings calls and letters to retailers, so this is offcial, not something I made up. DirecTV has the unbeatable HD DirecTivo which is nearly bug free. something I don't think I will able to say about Voom's DVR when it comes out. INHD 1 & 2 should be amoung the first to be added to DirecTV, as they have indicated that me in recent e-mails.

mini1 said:
DirecTV will have 15-20 HD channels by year end, and they will start adding in locals in HD by satellite over the next few years with another round of satellites. This has been annouced in recent earnings calls and letters to retailers, so this is offcial, not something I made up.
Really :eek: :shocked
How can you claim that it is official and even announce a number of channels (15-20)? Can you post some references to official announcements?
At this point everything I heard of is just speculation. See this recent AVS forum thread questioning DirectTV commitment to HD. After more than 200+ posts nobody has mentioned the "official" announcements that you refer to.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=402958

mini1 said:
you have posted your comments in the Voom forum, you will see more pro-voom people here than pro DirecTV. just to mention it, DirecTV will have 15-20 HD channels by year end, and they will start adding in locals in HD by satellite over the next few years with another round of satellites. This has been annouced in recent earnings calls and letters to retailers, so this is offcial, not something I made up. DirecTV has the unbeatable HD DirecTivo which is nearly bug free. something I don't think I will able to say about Voom's DVR when it comes out. INHD 1 & 2 should be amoung the first to be added to DirecTV, as they have indicated that me in recent e-mails.

Sounds like DirecTV is going to be a pretty sweet deal at the end of the year. Still, I would wait until I see it with D*. Also, the V* DVR may be less expensive than the DirecTivo. When it comes to Murdoch and HD, promises mean nothing. I need to see it from the company run by a notoriously anti-HD man. If, what you say is true, then D* will rule.

I would love to see a link to a Rupert press release that says Rupert will be adding 25 HD channels by the end of the year. I looked at the Rupert site and saw no mention of it!

In fact, Ruperts people are talking down hi-def and talking about something called 3-D.

XTC, if want you great HD at a cheap price, sign up for Voom now, before the prices go up on June 1st.

Yes, this a Voom forum and most here love Voom and you will too, or I'll give your install money back!

mini1 said:

HAHA that's funny! We have 39+ HD channels RIGHT NOW! Keep on dreamin' brother.

XTC. Right now, the smart thing to do is to play the waiting game. If you go with D*, you're stuck with them for 2 years. But, you won't get some important channels with V*. But with V*, you're not locked in, and you don't have to pay upfront costs. If you want HD, the choice is V*. Of course, there's always cable :)

cyuhnke said:
...If you want HD, the choice is V*. Of course, there's always cable :)

Sure, there is cable. And if they add quickly ~30 HD channels I may even consider upgrading their service from basic (for local sports via Fox) to HD package. We all know that this will not happen anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)