What to go with? Voom or DirecTV

D* just this month shot his next bird up. The focus has been 100% on locals, and Rupert is a notorious anti-hd guy. I agree with these guys. I've been a long time D* subscriber and have had nothing introduced in 2 years that is new (HD wise). I did get the NFL channel and WE I think in SD, weeeeeee.

Problem is if you call D*, which I encourage you to do, and ask him about his programming for HD you will get the same lame, new bird, lots of locals, and some possible hd channels(!) hooey. Voom is about to add more HD channels in 1 year than D* did in 2.

Can't say much about V* so far because it's not installed until the 7th now but I'm optomistic that the HD will pay off. I care nothing about 3d or interactive TV that D* is promising me. I'm paying off the rest of my commitment (from upgrading to HD) and saying 'see yah!'

Wouldn't believe it...

I, in no way, believe DTV is adding that many HD channels by year end. In fact, I don't believe they'll add that many HD channels in the next 3 years! DTV has been slow, neh, has been against adding much in the way of HD programming.

I'd be interested in seeing where you're seeing anything, "official," saying they're doing this. In fact, what I've, "offically," heard from them is they won't be adding anything anytime soon.

Also, Voom already has more than what you're claiming DTV wil have by the end of the year. Voom has been actively adding channels (HD and SD) and has said, "officially," they will continue to do so. In October, I'd look for a LOT more since the new transponders they recently rented will become available. I hear they'll double their current HD channel capacity (although I don't know this for sure).

Basically, if you're looking for over-compressed SD with a few over-priced HD channels then DTV is the way to go. Sure, they've got DVRs and even the Tivo HD. Voom has been showing their DVR and it looks like a winner. Should be out before the end of the year, too. And again, why pay $1,000 for a Tivo HD when they only offer a handful of HD channels to record?

But seriously, if you're not as interested in HD, you need a DVR NOW and you're interested in the channels DTV has but Voom doesn't (yet), I'd say go with DTV. If you want HD and the other things we've all mentioned then Voom is the way to go. Either way, with the free offer why not give it a shot?

The Rickster

Walter L. said:
Really :eek: :shocked
How can you claim that it is official and even announce a number of channels (15-20)? Can you post some references to official announcements?
At this point everything I heard of is just speculation. See this recent AVS forum thread questioning DirectTV commitment to HD. After more than 200+ posts nobody has mentioned the "official" announcements that you refer to.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=402958

No kidding. I guess if enough people say it's 'official' others line up and spew the same nonsense so it perpetuates itself.

D* hasn't officially claimed diddly squat except for some vague reference to increasing HD content.

xtc said:
Hi,

I'm trying to decide what satellite service to go with. I have had dish network for 5 years now, but I am leaving because they do NOTHING for existing customers. While everyone will do anything to get a new customer on board. I'm trying to decide between DirecTV or Voom. I was leaning towards Voom because I can get alot of things I can't with DirecTV since most of the channels I watch, Voom will have. But I've been reading this board for about a week and I am amazed at the unbelievable amount of mess-ups that everyone is complaining about. It scares me to go with Voom now. All my years with Dish Network, I have never experienced any of these problems that I keep hearing about here. What do you guys think?

If your main bitch is dish "does NOTHING for existing" customers.

Here's my experience since getting in and what they will do for you.

- Initial install - 4 hrs late but good - be the first guy on the install list for that day - force Voom to get you the installers number and have them call you when they on thier way. March 04
- OTA issues - If the initial install is not getting your OTA channels they will give you $60 for an upgraded antenna ($60 off your bill)
- will upgrade the firmware so that you can tune in OTA channels May/June 04
- Have responded to PQ gripes - still working them
- committed to mpeg4/windows media 9 - We should eventually get 60 channels HD with these moves
- DVR - Fall 04
- Added Discovery-HD, ESPN-HD, TNT-HD, Golf Channel, some other SD channels
- Should Add 2 more HD channels by June
- eaten big losses still thinking that if we provide HD "they will come"
- started e-mail communication/news letter
- Upgraded thier website
- Invited Sean Mota to input on issues based on this forum

What they don't do well is:
Communicate when exactly channels will be added - Just happens
Communicate when firmware will be upgraded - Just happens

mini1 must be a troll. Luckily, his statement about 15-20 additional HD channels on D* by the end of the year is so moronic that his chance of successful trolling is pretty low.

I have been with D* for almost 6-years. I am currently in a "demo" peiord with Voom and I must say ... after 4 whole hours with Voom, I am kicking D* to the curb. Most of the offering on D* are things I do not care about. V* has all the popular channels and 39 in HD TODAY. My optic nerve aches from the beauty.

I was fairly saisitifed with D and my DTivo ... but in all honesty I think that Moxi (another DVR) or something from someone else will CRUSH Tivo within 3 years. All it is, is a VCR with a hard drive, and Voom's will be here in September (CSR says this today).

MPEG4 that V* has commited to already is far superior to the MPEG2 used by D & E. I support what the others say, get V* while there is NO RISK ... if you have an HDTV, you can afford 80 bucks for one month.

In plain honesty, the only reason I looked away from D* is becuase the REFUSE to embrace technology .. that is stupid. I want to be with the inovators ... not the corporate stiffies.

I have been with Voom for a month now and was just about to pull the plug today. I have all kinds of problems from pq to mapping issues. I think there hardware is like something from the early 90's, and doubt there dvr will be much better. They offered me my next month free to get there bugs worked out. I think half of the HD programming is a joke(like there "exclusive cinema" channels). Most likely after this month I'll be switching to DTV until HDTV develops a little more. just my 2 cents

By "there" i'm sure you meant "their", meaning Voom.

Hey, if you've been a customer for a month and aren't happy, get out.

I had box in the 90's and my STB was a piece of crap from Dish. The Voom content is excellent and i for one, like all the movies on Cinema 10.

Hate Voom? Cool. Cancel. I hope you leased your box.

Confus say " Some are churn and some are chumps and some are both".

I moved from Cox cable to Voom and would NEVER go back. I am a Rave addict and love the Dolby Digital quality on my HD channels. I am hooked!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)