What to look for in a Diseqc Switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Maybe I have to unplug the receiver instead off just using the swith in the back.

Iceberg said:
uh yeah you might want to do that :)

heck, that was my very first tip in "the tip of the iceberg"

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=66143

O.K., let me get this straight... My Pansat 3500SD has an AC power switch at the back of the unit. Does this not completely power down the unit (certainly stops the clock!) and stop all voltage to the LNBs?

Or is it also better, as an added precaution, to unplug the unit as well?

Just checked my Traxis DBS 3500, when I turn the switch off on the back of the receiver no voltage is coming out of the "LNB IN"

I would unplug as a precaution when working with a DiSEqC switch, also other receiver may be different.

Iceberg said:
heck, that was my very first tip in "the tip of the iceberg"
Ice, do you plan on adding to the tip of the iceberg from time to time?

I was looking at the NWA website, aren't you the wrestler Iceberg? :)

PSB said:
Just checked my Traxis DBS 3500, when I turn the switch off on the back of the receiver no voltage is coming out of the "LNB IN"

I would unplug as a precaution when working with a DiSEqC switch, also other receiver may be different.

Thanks for the idea! I checked my Pansat 3500SD, and there is also no voltage out of the IF INPUT when shut off at the back. Which is a very good thing (and a relief), considering how much I had added and changed configurations of LNBs and various switches over the past few months!

Keith Brannen said:
O.K., let me get this straight... My Pansat 3500SD has an AC power switch at the back of the unit. Does this not completely power down the unit (certainly stops the clock!) and stop all voltage to the LNBs?

Or is it also better, as an added precaution, to unplug the unit as well?

the switch on the back kills all power. I always flip the switch off when adding/removing the line

Gary Z said:
Ice, do you plan on adding to the tip of the iceberg from time to time?
I might. I had an idea to add the simple "FTA 101 most asked questions" in the tip but after a month I started running out of easy things. Yes there are lots of questions that are asked a few times but I didnt consider them simple "101" tips. So I kinda let the thread die

I was looking at the NWA website, aren't you the wrestler Iceberg? :)
:):D

Iceberg said:
the switch on the back kills all power. I always flip the switch off when adding/removing the line

Same here. The OP did mentioned he did do that, and then asked if he should pull the plug as well. After your answer to him, I just wanted to confirm that what I thought was correct, and that I hadn't been "playing with fire" when I thought it was safe!

cuongvu said:
Hi all,

Where to place the Inline amplifier(before or ater the DisEqc switch)?

I have had bad luck with the 4x1 switches. 1 Sadoun switch (DOA), 1 Geopro (lasted 2 days) and 1 Coolsat(DOA) both from Sattelite Av (they are free), 1 cheap one from Ebay (DOA). The 2nd cheap one has been good so far (1 week).

Waitting for the 2 DMS International ones. If they are not good, that means something is wrong with my 4 years old Satcruiser+. Maybe I have to unplug the receiver instead off just using the swith in the back.

Cuong

Boy ... there is something wrong in the system to be blowing switches like that! We know that the Coolsat switches suffered from short lifespans, but something is definately wrong! Can you check the current draw on the inline and LNBF? I probably would have been checking out the system on the 2nd DiSEqC not the 4th....

iafirebuff said:
3 million! That's alot of FTA'ers! Or can they be used for something else?

They are all for satellite. Of course not all of them are for the USA. Actually the US is a small market for (true) FTA. Most other countries (where satellite is legal) have huge FTA markets.

Keith Brannen said:
Thanks for the idea! I checked my Pansat 3500SD, and there is also no voltage out of the IF INPUT when shut off at the back. Which is a very good thing (and a relief), considering how much I had added and changed configurations of LNBs and various switches over the past few months!

Yeah, the switch on the back of the 3500 actually kills the power coming in from the AC socket. It is, in effect just like unplugging your receiver.

Hi all,

Just installed 2 DMS switches and 2 Amp (unpluged the receiver). They work.

I am very happy. Something was wrong with my 4 years old Satcruiser+ (or something was wrong with me :)))))))

Cuong

cuongvu said:
Hi all,

Just installed 2 DMS switches and 2 Amp (unpluged the receiver). They work.

I am very happy. Something was wrong with my 4 years old Satcruiser+ (or something was wrong with me :)))))))

Good to hear all is fine. I think that unplugging the unit was the best thing to do, maybe you have a faulty on/off switch at the back. Of course, you could have just had extremely bad luck with getting bad switches!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)