What type of dish / lnb needed for 77 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
What type of dish / lnb is needed to receive 77? Can I use a DP lnb to pickup that satellite? I want to use an individual dish to pick up local HD channels from 77 that is being launched soon. My guess is that 61.5 and 72 is able to be used with the standard DP lnb's being used for 110/119/129 but that 77 is using something different.

I heard you need a different type of smart card to receiver 77 and 72.
Only Vip receivers will pick up the 77 and 72. Yes the New Smart cards work. If you have a Vip 612 they work without the new purple cards. I know I have 2 of them,and a 622 with the purple card. All eastern arc now at my house.:)

I am glad to hear that any dish network dish with lnb will work with 77. I thought that due to 5 degree spacing instead of the 9 degree spacing they usually use that they had to use FSS or something to receive one of those slots due to possible interference.

Can you use 77 and 129 at the same time if your locals come in at 129 and 77 is getting your HD locals? I have 522 and 722 and need 129 for the 522 and 77 for the 722. What are they going to do for existing customers with an MPEG-2 receiver that want upgraded to HD locals on EA? Upgrade everyone's 522's to 722's and 301/311 to 411 and 322 to 422? That is going to get downright expensive.

I also imagine that they will want those that own their receivers to swap them for leased receivers, just like the 721 swapout fiasco.

Sure, any combination of sats will works if you have enough input ports on your switch, so use all DP LNBFs and DPP-44 for the combination of 119/110 and 129/77.

Why do you want to complicate things? If you already have 129 and your locals are on both what will be the advantage of adding 77 the programming will be the same and when Ciel2 gets to 129 will probably be better off 129.

The locals will be in HD off of 77 and only in SD off of 129. Since the DPP44 is so expensive and I do not have one I plan on using a D1K for the 522 for 110/119/129 and probably a D500/D1K for 61.5/72 and D300 for 77 for the 722. I already have the dishes and can get them very cheap.

If the MPEG-2 receivers cannot pickup programming off of 72/77 then why do they have those satellites listed in the software of those receivers? It would be nice if I could use 61.5/72/77 EA for my MPEG-2 receivers in addition to the MPEG-4 receiver.

It Won't Work

The locals will be in HD off of 77 and only in SD off of 129. Since the DPP44 is so expensive and I do not have one I plan on using a D1K for the 522 for 110/119/129 and probably a D500/D1K for 61.5/72 and D300 for 77 for the 722. I already have the dishes and can get them very cheap.

If the MPEG-2 receivers cannot pickup programming off of 72/77 then why do they have those satellites listed in the software of those receivers? It would be nice if I could use 61.5/72/77 EA for my MPEG-2 receivers in addition to the MPEG-4 receiver.

You cannot receive any 2 of the EA satellites with either a stock D500 or stock a D1k. The reception angles of the LNBs make it physically impossible. Simple math will give you the different angles. Keep in mind that 1° on the earth's surface at the equator is approximately 69.2 miles, so you would be off by a loooong distance at orbital height.

Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades!

good luck on that one, it seems that you are kind of stuck between either having two dishes to get both sd and hd locals or upgrading your recievers to be able to use the 1k4 for a "one dish solution". it's a good thing that at least you can get the dishes pretty cheap because 1k4's are not being added on upgrade work orders, only on new connects. but to my understanding dish still haven't got their ok from the fcc to operate 77 in the u.s.

Anecdotal accounts of 61.5/72.7 reception on a Dish 500, then get 77 with a single lnb dish are out there.

Not something I would want permantly!

Anecdotal accounts of 61.5/72.7 reception on a Dish 500, then get 77 with a single lnb dish are out there.

I noted that the poster didn't recommend it for a long term solution, so I'll stick with my original statement. Besides, the Spot beams would suffer the most and you wouldn't get the best of the CONUS beams, either. If I'm going to put a dish, I want to be able to reliably watch programs with it, not tinker with it all the time to tweak it!

I don't mind using three dishes to get the signals in as it would allow a better signal on each satellite. It creates another problem where I have only one line feeding the dual tuner receiver from the DPP lnb. Now I will have to run a DP-34 and have another line fed to the receiver, get a DPP-44 or a DPP-33 switch, or a D1K.4.

The DPP-44 switch is as much as the dish itself so there is no point in me getting the switch unless I want to diversify for future use in case Dish Network changes it's satellite lineup once again. In that case they could change the switch technologies again as well.

The DPP-33 switch is only $60 shipped on ebay which is probably the cheapest route if I only want to use one cable. I wish I could get a used one cheaper. I think I saw a DPP-44 switch for around the same price as well but don't need four satellites or four outputs.

In the end, the cheapest easiest route using what I have is just to use another cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts