What Video Camera to buy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

RicS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2004
Ok - looks like it's time for a new video camera but no idea what to look for. Our old camera was about 5 years old and was either 'misplaced' or stolen with our recent move. We don't exactly remember packing it so little we can do about it.

As such, we need a replacement. I would like to stay under $400 and have the following features:

-fast transfer to computer
-small/compact/light
-inexpensive media
-decent zoom for recording kids at football/baseball/basketball games

Don't really care about:
-taking stills - we have a Canon SD400 that is small and does a great job
-manual adjustments and editing from the camera. we have no idea how to deal with that beyond setting it on auto and pushing record.

If no specific recommendations, what do I look for to make sure I get good quality video? I searched Cnet but some models they recommend are bad on some other sites (ie a Panasonic model)

All the new HDD are probably above your price range so I would not bother with those

Other media
DVD
pros
small, fairly inexpensive, easy to convert or just watch from a regular dvd player
cons
Poor picture quality, can generally only hold about 20 minutes of video on one disk

Mini DV
pros
good quality, can hold at least an hour of video depending on the tapes you buy, tapes are relatively small, cameras are relatively small
cons
tapes are bulkier than DVD, can accidently tape over previously taped things.

I am looking for a new Video camera also.
I am leaning towards the mini DV format. I think that I like this model http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-Handycam-Camcorder-DCR-HC21-/sem/rpsm/oid/116666/catOid/-13063/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)