What was the first military event shown on FTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
To backtrack a bit I'm doing a report in a class on the invasion of Panama. I remember reading somewhere that it was the first US war that was covered live by satellite. I'm not talking feeds but actual reporting on air. If this is true is there anything saying that in an article?

Thanks.

To backtrack a bit I'm doing a report in a class on the invasion of Panama. I remember reading somewhere that it was the first US war that was covered live by satellite. I'm not talking feeds but actual reporting on air. If this is true is there anything saying that in an article?

Thanks.

Are you talking about Operation Just Cause? I am sure there would be someone around here that can confirm or deny what they saw using their dishes... but you might want to get firm sources from the different news agencies that might have been involved.

I recall two feeds running 24/7 for several weeks during the Panama military event. Cameras were positioned several stories high. Do not remember what satellite was used.

Only saw a few reporter feeds, but the b-roll footage was raw often bloody and I assume edited only in-camera.

You will not see this kind of raw footage now days as the material is edited and as I understand, reviewed by "spin doctor censors".

Are you talking about Operation Just Cause? I am sure there would be someone around here that can confirm or deny what they saw using their dishes... but you might want to get firm sources from the different news agencies that might have been involved.

well it isn't so much of someone actually viewing but just that the technology was being used for that.

Just trying to find something because it seems as if the technology allowed for instant broadcasting but the media itself wasn't really allowed for the first few days.

Sorry for hijacking but this thread brought back memories of the most amazing and stunning thing I have ever seen on FTA. Many years ago I was playing around with my dads C-band receiver and stumbled on a ABC feed of the road out at the end of the Operation Desert Storm war. It was raw uncut and un scrambled. Total carnage and destruction. I might still have some VHS tapes I made.

The time line would have put it about two years after the invasion of Panama.

More info here if anyone is interested:
Highway of Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Later, DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts