What we'll do for a dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

netbuilder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Missouri
I just relocated to another city and finished moving all our stuff to the new house, that is everything except for my BUD. So I had an opportunity to go by the old house again (which is more than 90 miles away) and pickup my old 6 footer, but I had a challenge...I was driving the mini-van.

I've had this BUD for a few weeks but was unable to install it at the old house because I knew I would be moving soon and I'm sure the neighborhood I was in prohibited it. So when I moved I didn't have room in the moving trucks and I sadly left it behind, hoping I would be back to get it, and I DID - YAY!

Anyway, the only way I could get it to my new home was to strap it on top of the ol' minivan, and that is exactly what I did. Much to my wife's surprise this silly idea actually worked. Of course I had to drive 45-60 MPH for 2 hours on a 70MPH highway, but hey, that's what you do for a dish. So it got me thinking, what would you do, or what have you done for a dish?

It's not a great shot because it was late when I unloaded the dish, but the photo below shows how I hauled it.

Attachments

• dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
I had a 10 foot fiberglass dish (still fully assembled) except the polar mount and feed horn arms were removed laying flat across the sides of a 2003 Chevrolet S10 truck. Keep in mind the dish was hanging almost 3 feet off each side and about 4' off the back.
I had to pick up the dish out a country two land road 40 miles away.

I had to drive so slow and had red duct tape streamers all over it hoping I would not get a ticket getting home. I made it LOL. I didn't disassemble the dish since all the bolt were so rusty I would have had to break them or cut the out. The dish had a good parabolic shape so i tried not to disturb that.

Thats awesome! I know what you mean about hanging over the sides...Mine stuck out about a foot or so off of each side of the luggage rack, but on an S10 that is hillarious!

LOL, did you tote your dish standing up? Coolness. Thats good advertising. :) I too did the drive with the dish hanging over in a 3/4 ton pickup truck, seemed embarrassing to have to take up two lanes on some of the narrower city roads. On another dish haul I accidentally broke a big side window on my Suburban, hehee whoops. And no, thats not my suburban in the avatar :p

How bout a 10 mesh fully assembled with feedhorn on the roof of a '79 Chevy Nova? Good thing we didn't run into any smokeys.

noexe - thanks for the picture, you are giving me ideas when I build the support pole for this install

somery - we had a few errands to do in town before picking up the dish, and my wife insisted we do the errands first, I later found out it was because she was embarrassed that we had that "thing" on the roof of the mini-van and didn't want anyone to see her. I just laughed, at least she didn't complain - I call that lucky I guess!

I have a 16' long 8' wide two axle trailor but one of my family members had it.

My truck looked like a turtle going down the road. that dish was heavy too. My little 2.2L 4-wheezer struggled up the hills -LOL

I hauled my 10.5 Raydx the same way, it stuck out the sides a bit and seemed pretty high. I don't have pictures of it that I can remember.
I like the fast get-a-way, set it on strap it down and roll. Having people watch me take their stuff apart bugs me, so, I like the grab and go.:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts