What we'll do for a dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

netbuilder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Missouri
I just relocated to another city and finished moving all our stuff to the new house, that is everything except for my BUD. So I had an opportunity to go by the old house again (which is more than 90 miles away) and pickup my old 6 footer, but I had a challenge...I was driving the mini-van.

I've had this BUD for a few weeks but was unable to install it at the old house because I knew I would be moving soon and I'm sure the neighborhood I was in prohibited it. So when I moved I didn't have room in the moving trucks and I sadly left it behind, hoping I would be back to get it, and I DID - YAY!

Anyway, the only way I could get it to my new home was to strap it on top of the ol' minivan, and that is exactly what I did. Much to my wife's surprise this silly idea actually worked. Of course I had to drive 45-60 MPH for 2 hours on a 70MPH highway, but hey, that's what you do for a dish. So it got me thinking, what would you do, or what have you done for a dish?

It's not a great shot because it was late when I unloaded the dish, but the photo below shows how I hauled it.

Attachments

• dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
I had a 10 foot fiberglass dish (still fully assembled) except the polar mount and feed horn arms were removed laying flat across the sides of a 2003 Chevrolet S10 truck. Keep in mind the dish was hanging almost 3 feet off each side and about 4' off the back.
I had to pick up the dish out a country two land road 40 miles away.

I had to drive so slow and had red duct tape streamers all over it hoping I would not get a ticket getting home. I made it LOL. I didn't disassemble the dish since all the bolt were so rusty I would have had to break them or cut the out. The dish had a good parabolic shape so i tried not to disturb that.

Thats awesome! I know what you mean about hanging over the sides...Mine stuck out about a foot or so off of each side of the luggage rack, but on an S10 that is hillarious!

LOL, did you tote your dish standing up? Coolness. Thats good advertising. :) I too did the drive with the dish hanging over in a 3/4 ton pickup truck, seemed embarrassing to have to take up two lanes on some of the narrower city roads. On another dish haul I accidentally broke a big side window on my Suburban, hehee whoops. And no, thats not my suburban in the avatar :p

How bout a 10 mesh fully assembled with feedhorn on the roof of a '79 Chevy Nova? Good thing we didn't run into any smokeys.

noexe - thanks for the picture, you are giving me ideas when I build the support pole for this install

somery - we had a few errands to do in town before picking up the dish, and my wife insisted we do the errands first, I later found out it was because she was embarrassed that we had that "thing" on the roof of the mini-van and didn't want anyone to see her. I just laughed, at least she didn't complain - I call that lucky I guess!

I have a 16' long 8' wide two axle trailor but one of my family members had it.

My truck looked like a turtle going down the road. that dish was heavy too. My little 2.2L 4-wheezer struggled up the hills -LOL

I hauled my 10.5 Raydx the same way, it stuck out the sides a bit and seemed pretty high. I don't have pictures of it that I can remember.
I like the fast get-a-way, set it on strap it down and roll. Having people watch me take their stuff apart bugs me, so, I like the grab and go.:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)