What Will KU Give Me?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Nothing much channel wise on C Band. Never hooked up my KU. What can I get if I do??

tdti1 said:
There is a ton of programming on C-band, c/ku and you have a lot more, both on 4dtv and dvb.

Rephrase - not much "free" programming. Have an old trusty analog GI650i. There's nothing free anymore and no more backhauls, which used to be great. Have D* with HD but like to "fire" up the ole BUD every so often. Just let go os my NBC DNS on BUD because the pic was so lousy. An uplink problem (which my CBS East didin't have). Turnervision CSR couldn't even comment on the problem.

As I remember, KU "used" to have a ton of programming but it's probably gone the same route. Thanks.

Upgading to dual band feed a 4dtv and a dvb you will have a ton to watch, and there is still great feeds up there though you must know where to look.

tdti1 said:
Upgading to dual band feed a 4dtv and a dvb you will have a ton to watch, and there is still great feeds up there though you must know where to look.

I go thru the sats and channels a couple of times a week and there's nothing much. Oh the glorious backhaul days are missed!

There is a LOT of stuff available with a c/ku setup and a DVB reciever, i have 250+ channels scanned into my Pansat 2700a reciever. They include all of the networks (most in multiple time zones), a movie channel, outdoor and sportsman channels, news channels, music video channels, special interest / foreign language channels and much more. Wild feed pop up all the time. Analog backhauls are still available on a couple of sats, tho i agree they are few and far between.

You're right...there isn't much left on analog C-band. Most free-to-air stuff has moved to digital.

You'll want a MPEG-2 DVB receiver that you can "slave" to your GI 650i. Thankfully, you can find these at low prices, sometimes under $100.

If you can speak Spanish or Portuguese, you might want to move your dish a bit to the east so you can see I-805 and PAS 9, which contain plenty of such programming, or buy a feed with circular capabilities (both H/V polarities and L/R), so you can see NSS 806 at 40.5 which will give you a great selection of channels from the Americas.

There is a lot on Ku-Band. I only have a Ku dish, but using my Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra blind-scan digital (DVB) receiver, I can pick up from international channels from Cuba, Netherlands, Romania, Iran, and Thailand, among many other countries, tons of newsfeeds, feeds of sporting events, and much more. You definitely should get Ku. Be advised, though, that because digital is far more economic than a full-transponder analog transmission, most feeds have moved to digital. An MPEG-2 DVB receiver, as I stated earlier, will not set you back far.

I'll admit there isn't much free.

I had to pay 20 bucks a month to get my 45 channels + 40 music.

I sure miss paying D* 45 a month for the same thing.

I find my 4dtv and dvb bring a lot of free channels, I love hunting for raw feeds, and I like to lisen to music and get a ton free on the 4dtv, I also like the savings over the pizza dish.

JerryK said:
I'll admit there isn't much free.

I had to pay 20 bucks a month to get my 45 channels + 40 music.

I sure miss paying D* 45 a month for the same thing.

I get D* Total Choice for $41.99/month, which has 135 channels including locals. PLUS my HD package.

where can I learn more about dvb?

tdti1 said:

Hi, I seen the above and was curious. I currently have a 10' mesh c/ku with 4dtv receiver and have just been scanning here and there mainly for sports. It sounds like there is quite a bit more with dvb. Can anyone tell me, or point me to something on the web, where I could learn more of what hardware I would need and how much it would cost to be able to access the dvb programming? Thanks for any info.

skeets1964 said:
Can anyone tell me, or point me to something on the web, where I could learn more of what hardware I would need and how much it would cost to be able to access the dvb programming? Thanks for any info.

Almost all of the DVB programming is free. As for a source of info, you don't even have to leave this site. Go to the MPEG2 / Free to Air forum. There's a ton of info, and a bunch of guys willing to help you.

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts