What will really happen Feb 1st ?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I think the current clamor of discontent Dish customers will pale in comparision to what we're going to hear come Feb-1st or whenever the new HD in MPEG4 channels launch.

Most of us here in these various HD threads have at least 1 thing in common. We've invested big $$$ in HD hardware & programming and have been on the edge of our seat so to speak for a loooooong time, waiting for Dish to follow through on their various promises - most of them revolving around new & better HD programming. We've also seen what we started out with (full rez HD & 942s that worked) get degraded (HD Lite & 942s that now have various problems for many).

Now Feb 1st is just around the corner. Some of those promises Dish made are about to become reality and we'll be sitting here with our expensive HD receivers, paying our $120+ a month Dish bills and reading threads about the new HD channels that WE WON'T BE ABLE TO RECEIVE.

A few of us might be lucky enough to obtain a 622 before the launch but highly unlikely and if we do, we're expected to forfit $200.

What's wrong with this picture and why the hell aren't more of you upset?

What's to be upset over?? We are just a few weeks from what we want- more HD.

We have an idea of what will happen by reading this forum. New receivers will be required and most do not seem upset over the rumored upgrade paths.

After all you don't see Sony upgrading your TV when a new model comes out. Nor did they upgrade it for you when HD became available.

I sympathize with those that spent good money on the 942. I just dropped D* inspite of having purchased their HD DVR due to lack of HD. I feel I am way ahead right now and will not groan over the wasted money on the DVR--my mistake after all

All those Chats taught me one thing: never count on what they say on the Chat being correct. Wait until the product is released. That's why I didn't drop $799 on a 942 in November. That's why I didn't buy another 811; I leased one in exchange for an owned 311 (Charlie gave me the 311 for free when I signed up).

This whole DBS business is in a state of flux, with cable on the move, and FIOS ramping up. Flexibility for the corporation and consumer is paramount right now. You have to be prepared to jump fast, and lease is the way to go.

dlm10541 said:
We have an idea of what will happen by reading this forum. New receivers will be required and most do not seem upset over the rumored upgrade paths.
After all you don't see Sony upgrading your TV when a new model comes out. Nor did they upgrade it for you when HD became available.
I sympathize with those that spent good money on the 942. I just dropped D* inspite of having purchased their HD DVR due to lack of HD. I feel I am way ahead right now and will not groan over the wasted money on the DVR--my mistake after all
Yes, most of you who do not have HD receivers (or only have one) are probably quite happy.

However, a number of us have MULTIPLE HD-DVRs and we are basically screwed. We are only allowed ONE upgrade. We will have to fork out abunch of money again if we want to get more channels. It would cost me about $1700 to upgrade my receivers (942, two 921s and an 811). Thats a year and a halfs worth of programming when I switch to FiOS when it becomes available...which should be in February or March. I feel really sorry for the folks that dont have FiOS as an option.

I guess I'm wrong to think that Charlie should take care of his BEST customers. Those of us who have multiple HD-DVRs probably all spend around $150/month with Dish, in addition to the thousands of dollars that we have shelled out on equipment.

Fortunately, I have learned my lesson and I will not go out and purchase equipment based on what Charlie says will happen. I will actually wait for it to happen. Two years ago, I spent almost $400 on a SuperDish and a DP+44 because Charlie said "ALL HD IS GOING TO 105." 105 has never seen an HD channel.

Last edited:
I have to agree.

I just hope I didn't make a mistake by not waiting to sign up..I have a leased 411 that is MPEG4-didn't see a need for the 211 for a few years.
This time I am waiting on a DVR. I do have a leased cable DVR with fwber full rez HD-at least for now.
A CSR said I would automatically get the new channels but even if not true at least I am a phone call away and out very little

Does anyone know if on 2/1 if we can upgrade to a 211 and still pay the old HD pricing? I don't want the new HD channels yet, but are they going to force me out of my old pricing structure if I lease the new receiver?

I currently have the 811 with AT180 + HD Pak, and I want the new receiver to keep my future options open, but I don't want to pay into the HD "metal" packages just yet.

Not upset? I could chew thru nails when I think about the whole mess.

To think they will make new channels available on 2/1, but I have to wait for April for the breadcrumb they threw at 942 owners...and if I even think about upgrading my 811 on 2/1 to a 211, then I even screw that possibility, and would have to shell out full price to get a 622. IMO the whole thing reeks for current HD subs.

I love the chance to HAVE new HD channels, but since they clearly have the capacity in the short term (since the channels will continue in MPEG2 for an as yet undetermined amount of time), and since they are creating an artificial demand for product they clearly dont have enough of, they should make the channels available in "preview" to the existing equipment, AT LEAST until supply of new receivers is substantial enough to meet demand, AND they are prepared to make the offcers to existing subs (not 2 months after launch)

Last edited:
dlm10541 said:
I agree with your post except for the SONY tv reference. Dish and sony are 2 totally different companies. Sony doesn't provide a service that you have to pay for monthly. Dish is about to cut their own profits by starting new HD ch's that not many paying customers will have a chance to watch day 1. Sony sells products for profit....Dish depends on paying subscribers for profit.

DWS44 said:
Not upset? I could chew thru nails when I think about the whole mess.

To think they will make new channels available on 2/1, but I have to wait for April for the breadcrumb they threw at 942 owners...and if I even think about upgrading my 811 on 2/1 to a 211, then I even screw that possibility, and would have to shell out full price to get a 622. IMO the whole thing reeks for current HD subs.

I love the chance to HAVE new HD channels, but since they clearly have the capacity in the short term (since the channels will continue in MPEG2 for an as yet undetermined amount of time), and since they are creating an artificial demand for product they clearly dont have enough of, they should make the channels available in "preview" to the existing equipment, AT LEAST until supply of new receivers is substantial enough to meet demand, AND they are prepared to make the offcers to existing subs (not 2 months after launch)

My sentiments exactly and to make it even worse, it's such a transparent scheme to exploit those of us that have done the most to support the move to HD.

But what bothers (and surprises) me the most is the apparent level of complacency of many here. For us to be put on the back burner for even a few weeks is an outrage and I'm willing to bet it's going to be a lot longer than that but there's such an "oh well, Dish did it again" attitude around here I could scream.

I feel very strongly that the department heads at dish are severely mentality challenged.
I mean come on surrender owned equipment for new mpeg4 leased equipment and pay a nominal upgrade fee
But apparently they might have followers dtv as well
seems to me their shooting themselves in the foot
id be happy to surrender my owned 942 for a owned 622, id even pay the bs nominal upgrade fee
i just don't think the above will happen

stone phillips420 said:
I feel very strongly that the department heads at dish are severely mentality challenged.
No, they're just very greedy bean counters with limited long term vision.

stone phillips420 said:
id be happy to surrender my owned 942 for a owned 622, id even pay the bs nominal upgrade fee
i just don't think the above will happen

Dish isn't really interrested in what makes you happy - only how much they can squeeze out of you without making you jump ship.

I just ordered a Vip 211 from a very nice CSR. She is shipping it directly to me to install for the $50 lease fee. She said I could send in my 311 for a $25 refund or keep it since I owned it. Return of owned receivers was not required. Since, I do not need any dish work (i have a dish 500 and 61.5 dish) I can install the receiver myself. Installation is not required.

Looks to me like Dish has worked out the details on the Vip211.

waltinvt said:
Dish isn't really interrested in what makes you happy - only how much they can squeeze out of you without making you jump ship.
I realize this, I have dropped my programming drastically with dish in recent weeks
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out I and many other customers are unhappy with the direction of this company
A mentality to treat customers great until day 3 mark then they don't count
I wish i could jump ship but i wont get nearly what i invested in my 8 receivers(worthless soon) back.
Dish stop eating retard sandwiches
I want a 622 as well I refuse lease and demand at least 85percent refund on my slightly older than 30 day 942
then ill buy 622 from Claude
but hell isn't exactly freezing over too quick, which is when i expect my refund for the 942
but persistence is the key

Last edited:
StevenD said:
I guess I'm wrong to think that Charlie should take care of his BEST customers.

To Charlie, his BEST customers are the ones he doesn't have yet -- the sacred "new subscribers only" as evidenced in all the Dish advertising offers...

grb said:
To Charlie, his BEST customers are the ones he doesn't have yet -- the sacred "new subscribers only" as evidenced in all the Dish advertising offers...

I like that. Pithy, profound and oh so true.

Weezknight said:
Does anyone know if on 2/1 if we can upgrade to a 211 and still pay the old HD pricing?

Of course not. leasing an mpeg4 receiver requires a sub to a dishhd pack

Stone,
You've got over 400 posts, so you've been around awhile.
Yet, you went out and bought a 942 a month ago - DUH.
You knew MPEG4 was coming.
You must be eating the same type sandwiches.

fred
( ""Patiently"" waiting for a 622)

I made 3 calls today to Dish for the purpose of going mpeg 4. No dice from any of the CSR's. Including the HD technical CSR department who usually are pretty helpful in things like this. They all stated emphatically to call back on Feb 1st and not before. No mpeg 4 equipment for sale or upgrades until then. Who are the members calling to get the HD ball rolling today? By the way I am a Dish customer since 1996 with the AEP and the HD/VOOM packs. I own all my equipment including a 811 and a 6000

I think they are randomly letting Dish'in it up trades to happen. Since you own everything that is probably the problem.

waltinvt said:
I think the current clamor of discontent Dish customers will pale in comparision to what we're going to hear come Feb-1st or whenever the new HD in MPEG4 channels launch.

Most of us here in these various HD threads have at least 1 thing in common. We've invested big $$$ in HD hardware & programming and have been on the edge of our seat so to speak for a loooooong time, waiting for Dish to follow through on their various promises - most of them revolving around new & better HD programming. We've also seen what we started out with (full rez HD & 942s that worked) get degraded (HD Lite & 942s that now have various problems for many).

Now Feb 1st is just around the corner. Some of those promises Dish made are about to become reality and we'll be sitting here with our expensive HD receivers, paying our $120+ a month Dish bills and reading threads about the new HD channels that WE WON'T BE ABLE TO RECEIVE.

A few of us might be lucky enough to obtain a 622 before the launch but highly unlikely and if we do, we're expected to forfit $200.

What's wrong with this picture and why the hell aren't more of you upset?
Hell yea i am MAD!! The only thing that calms me down a bit is i got a refund for my second 942. Also my local fox and ABC are going HD so i am waiting for that. Also to the people who say how long have you been her we new this would happen. Shut up in the last tech chat they said no mpeg 4 for quiet some time!! Mpeg 4 is not ready for prime time. Well its not thats why the dang channels will be in mpeg 2!! Yes mpeg 2 with mpeg 4 headers. Bullsh!t!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)