What would cause my VIP722 to loose signal and require the coax to be disconnected/reconnected ????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I've had a VIP722 for several years.

A couple of years ago, it started requiring the satellite coax to be unscrewed from the splitter and reconnected. Then it'll go through the acquiring satellite and download program guide.

It doesn't do it every time and often goes for several days before acting up again.

I've already had the Dish guy out to repair it. He replaced the spitter (or what looks like a splitter) and the problem went away for a few weeks, then started up.

Anyone have some idea what's causing this and what I can do to fix it?

I've had a VIP722 for several years.

A couple of years ago, it started requiring the satellite coax to be unscrewed from the splitter and reconnected. Then it'll go through the acquiring satellite and download program guide.

It doesn't do it every time and often goes for several days before acting up again.

I've already had the Dish guy out to repair it. He replaced the spitter (or what looks like a splitter) and the problem went away for a few weeks, then started up.

Anyone have some idea what's causing this and what I can do to fix it?

There can be some things that can affect the signal, do you get any error messages? Are you able to get any channels? If so are they SD or HD channels?

Thanks.

If it's a 722, there is no module. Only if it's a 722k. To the OP, are you getting any signal loss error messages? If so, do a system info test and see what's reported in box a.

Reactions: TheKrell
If it's a 722, there is no module. Only if it's a 722k. To the OP, are you getting any signal loss error messages? If so, do a system info test and see what's reported in box a.

I'll give this a try the next time it happens and post back on it. Thanks

There can be some things that can affect the signal, do you get any error messages? Are you able to get any channels? If so are they SD or HD channels?

Thanks.
Its that I've lost the signal. That's when I can unscrew the satellite coax, reconnect it and it goes through the "reacquiring routine"

If still powered, and you unscrew the coax... Be careful. You can short the tuner doing that. Unplug power cable before unscrewing coax.

Reactions: robstudio
Fair enough, I could have worded that better I suppose..
To the op.. Do you use an antenna for ota channels? If so, there's a known issue where the sat tuner will show partial signal loss message caused by poor antenna signal, even while tuned to a satellite channel. If that is the case try removing all poor signal antenna channels and that should solve it.
Obviously if you don't use an antenna you're dealing with some other issue.

I use to have an antenna connected to the 722 but since removed it.
Would having the channels still setup in the program guide cause this problem?

When you say you lost signal, what do you see on your screen? If it says partial or complete signal loss, you could be having lnb problems. When I had an H2K and was getting that message, everyone kept telling me it was due to ota problems. It wasn't. I did a System Info test and discovered I had lnb drift. Dish replaced the lnb array and no more problems.

I checked to see if I had any local channels set up and found that there weren't any. I must have removed them at some point.

dwarren2.....do you do the system info test when its working again or do you do it when you've lost signal?

years ago i fixed several installs by cutting off the coax and installing new connectors.

never use screw on connectors, they really arent designed to carry current thats used to run the lnbs

Compression connectors are correct... wiring is RG6??
Visually check connectors for signs of corrosion.. as in inside, make sure there's no rust on the center conductor..
I've seen moisture get inside compression connectors ... If you have any inline barrel connectors, make sure they're rated 3GHz (blue inside)..
I take it system info test shows no lnb drift?? If that's the case next step is cable/connector inspection...
If you find you need new connectors be sure to pull the power on the rcvr before you start cutting and replacing ends...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts