What would happen if DISH drops Viacom?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yes, but... it's more than that. They also charge an additional fee for the first receiver and each one thereafter, another fee for me and many others tacked on for RSN's, and their packages are generally a little higher.
Ready..... They would be charging me over $31.50 in fees on the equivalent of two VIP Receivers ($25 more if one receiver) including the RSN fee. What do I pay with DISH? $7 DVR fee for one DVR receiver and nothing else, $17 for two. For two receivers that is $170 savings a year just on fees. Tack on a little more savings for the package being a little lower.

This is why the posts railing on DISH for their fees need to be put into context.
Well, to be fair, Dish's fees are made up just for profit. The other sat/cable companies don't make up imaginary fees. ;)

Reactions: Tampa8 and dare2be
Yea but you need to understand that suddenlink is a blip on radar when compared to all other providers.

You see no real backlash because they don't have very many customers like comcast, directv or Dish.
Suddenlink dominates alot of big College town markets like lubbock TX and Stillwater OK. You cant drop Comedy Central in these markets and not expect a huge loss in revenue. We recently got U-Verse here and they are destroying Suddenlink because of the dropping of CC. Our ATT store has been crazy busy/packed since Suddenlink dropped Viacom.

Ironically Suddenlink within 2 weeks inked deals with ESPN and Fox Sports 1(TV and Streaming) shortly after the dropping of Viacom..They chose sports over CC/Reality crap and to be fair that wasnt a bad move in these college sports markets.

What is interesting on the Roku is that lately the big vertical banner ad on the Roku menu often promotes "Free to Watch - No login required!" programming on Comedy Central's Roku channel. I have to think that on one hand this helps Viacom's streaming division but if anything might hurt their negotiations with Dish. Between Hulu and CC's own Roku channel, might Dish offer to send a Roku to anyone who complains about losing Viacom? And tell Viacom if you're giving it away for free, give Dish the same deal?

Reactions: Tampa8
What is interesting on the Roku is that lately the big vertical banner ad on the Roku menu often promotes "Free to Watch - No login required!" programming on Comedy Central's Roku channel. I have to think that on one hand this helps Viacom's streaming division but if anything might hurt their negotiations with Dish. Between Hulu and CC's own Roku channel, might Dish offer to send a Roku to anyone who complains about losing Viacom? And tell Viacom if you're giving it away for free, give Dish the same deal?
Viacom needs to stop blocking all of suddenlink IP addresses and allow at least a few shows/clips to be watched/ads to be played to people who really want to see that kind of programming. I understand the 1st month of being dropped but cmon now...at least make a lil ad revenue off us poor souls who use Suddenlink/Cable One for internet!

At the end of the day viacom losing eyeballs isnt going to do them any favors. Personally I watch spike for cops and comedy. South park gets posted to hulu (paid) but my isp is suddenlink so on the internet im already blocked directly from viacom websites when it comes to streaming videos. . (Which isnt fair imo because I legally subscribe to these channels through dish apparently short lived ...)

Reactions: kenny9966
At the end of the day viacom losing eyeballs isnt going to do them any favors. Personally I watch spike for cops and comedy. South park gets posted to hulu (paid) but my isp is suddenlink so on the internet im already blocked directly from viacom websites when it comes to streaming videos. . (Which isnt fair imo because I legally subscribe to these channels through dish apparently short lived ...)
You and I are in the same boat. Frustrating cause i cant watch anything from CC online...and under the almost over contract(which was done like 10 years ago and TV streaming wasnt even really out there) Dish has with Viacom there is no log in streaming support.

... but my isp is suddenlink so on the internet im already blocked directly from viacom websites when it comes to streaming videos.
Could you clarify what you've said here?

That an ISP might block a type of conventional traffic is pretty difficult to defend. If they allow Netflix, Amazon or Hulu, they pretty much have to allow any similar service. I recall that TWC/Roadrunner got in hot water over blocking ESPN3.

They may be able to justifiably blocking home-based public servers but not much else. Even that may be in jeopardy as more and more ISPs do away with Personal Web Pages.

I can visit Comedy Central and Spike tv.com but if I try to view the streaming video it basically tells me that Suddenlink drop the Viacom channels and won't let me view the video content. my ISP is Suddenlink which is of course the cable provider that Drop the Viacom channels. Just to clarify further Dish is my TV provider.

I can visit Comedy Central and Spike tv.com but if I try to view the streaming video it basically tells me that Suddenlink drop the Viacom channels and won't let me view the video content. my ISP is Suddenlink which is of course the cable provider that Drop the Viacom channels. Just to clarify further Dish is my TV provider.
Is that even legal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)