What would happen if Smart Card pulled from Hopper....?

ChairBound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Spotsylvania, VA
So, I realize this is irrelevant to many here, but the lack of show thumbnails since the S221 update is really peeving me off. I have tried everything to get these to download or show up. Nothing works. Also, that border around my My Recordings folders now is annoying. Does anyone know what would happen if I pulled the Smart Card out of the front of the Hopper and rebooted, then put the card back in and rebooted? Would this force a re-download of the S221software?

The tech that came over for my hopper #2 install said something about the hopper being deactivated if the smart-card is pulled. He said if you pulled the card, you'd have to call in to have it reactivated.

He may have been full of BS .. can anyone validate?

It won't need to be "reactivated" unless it's been without power/signal for a while. If you pull the card out, you'll get an error, and once you put it back in the receiver will reset.

Matt...can you define "reset" for me? Do you just mean reboot? BTW...what, technically, does a reboot vs. a power plug pull do for these units? Does anyone know? It may have been mentioned somewhere before, but this is one thing I would prefer not to try and search for in a lengthy forum.

Pulling the smart card or pressing the power button for 10 seconds is considered a soft reboot or reset... Unplugging and waiting 10 seconds is considered and hard reboot or reset..

Just to clarify for anyone who cares.....I pulled the smart card from my system and nothing happened. When I put it back in, the Hopper rebooted. And no, doing this did not fix my thumbnails.

The smart card has to do with decrypting the sat signal and receiver authorization so no, it won't fix software-related issues to pull it.

By the way, looks like Dish is aware of the thumbnail issues according to this post :-

https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1848&start=30#p5837

So hang tight it'll probably be fixed in the next software release.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

You're welcome :D . It's always good to bug Dish as much as possible about these things since they "bug" us so much with each new release ;) .