What would you do if you were me?

zubinh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Long Island, NY
Hi all:

I'll be taking the plunge into HDTV soon when my 61" Samsung DLP arrives in a few weeks.

I am confused as to which provider (Dish or Direct) will best suit me. Currently I have Dish with the 508. I want to maximize HDTV viewing. Should I stick with Dish and buy the 921 or should I go to Direct and get the HD Tivo. I'm sure there willl be some new customer incentives for me to do so. But, I'm concerened about the PQ on Direct. I've had Dish for 5 years and I must say the PQ is damn good (in SD anyway). But those Tivo features look better than the 921.

What would you do if you were me??? (Please dont say Voom. We all know that company wont be around much longer, Sorry Voomers). THANKS for your input !!!!!!!!

This is very difficult. You have to decide which is more important: product quality (you'd choose DirectTivo) or picture quality (you'd choose Dish Network). It's just that simple.

To me Dish has two advantages – the HD PQ is better for now and they now have TNT in HD. In your case you could also say an advantage is that you already have the Dish. Chances are you would need an additional cable for the 921 anyway.

With the exceptions above my opinion is that EVERYTHING else goes to DirecTV with the HD Tivo. Once you use the Tivo features you won’t want to go back.

Both the 921 and the HD DirecTivo are hard to get but your chances of getting an HD DirecTivo are much better than a 921. Also if you go with the 921 you’ll have to deal with the ‘walking on pins and needles’ to make it work – things are getting better but the DirecTivo is way ahead. There have been a couple of problems with DirecTivo – Sound on HDNET and DVI output – there are too many issues with the 921 to go into here but if you search you can see for yourself.

The HD PQ is better on Dish but in your post you said “I've had Dish for 5 years and I must say the PQ is damn good (in SD anyway).”. No offense but if you think the SD PQ quality is damn good on Dish you are not going to notice the difference in HD PQ. It is my opinion that both Dish and DirecTV use too much compression and both look like crap! DirecTV’s Salt Lake locals are even worse than Dish Network’s. I can’t stand to watch them on my 100” projector – Thy are almost bearable on my 27” in my office but still don’t come close to over-the-air analog or even a well rented 1982 VHS copy of Rocky III!

If you want the family to be able to use run the thing, want to use the over-the-air digital stations in your area and can’t live with 1 OTA tuner and problems with the 921 your best bet would be DirecTV.

Good luck and let us know which way you go!

Thanks Mike. Another difference I found is that Direct is willing to install an OTA antenna for $50. They'll also install the system for free. To upgrade my Dish, would require a paid service call. Dish told me if I want an OTA antenna I would have to call my retailer - they dont sell em like Direct does.

In short, I could get everything from Direct with liittle cost except for the HDTivo. On the other hand I would have to pay Dish to upgrade my system and install an antenna which definitely wont cost the $50 Direct is asking for.

But PQ is definitely important. I would hate myself if after taking down my Dish, Direct looks worse. Decisions, Decisions...........

I came over from D* to Dish because of the HD package.

Now with TNT-HD it makes the switch that much better.

I really like the PQ that Dish has over D*.

I like the 921 but hate the re-boots at the worst times. They happen less now with the latest software patch, but OTA issues/favorites lists still have a way to go.

Maybe wait for the next generation HD-PVR (942?) and just go with a 6000 or 811 for now. 811's have some issues with dark picture.

Even with the 921 bugs, if you are looking for TIVO/PVR funtionality, I think that Dish is the way to go. 25hrs of HD or 250 hrs of standard programming will fit on the 250gig HD.

The D* vs. E* PQ issue has been debated as long as both services have been up and depending on who you ask one what day and what channel you're watching the answer will vary. When I did the E* to D* switch some channels were better, some were worst. D* HD PQ is a bit worst then E*'s when there's A LOT OF QUICK motion (like a flock of birds all taking off at the same time) in the image but for 98% of the time it looks to same to me.

As mentioned earlier, the HD Tivo is a much more stable box then the 921. I have two problems with mine, audio dropping on the HDNet channel (everyone's seeing this), need to change channels to get it back. The second is a local ATSC station violating PSIP standards and remapping their channel to 1.1 and 1.2 (my E* 811 also couldn't handle this since channel 1 was the rear inputs, don't know if they fix it).

While D* is behind E* at this time by 1 channel, TNT-HD, D* has said that they will expand their D* programming (see following in this thread:http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=15172) :

From this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthr...ht=directv+hdtv

By the end of 2004, DirecTV pledged to use its new DirecTV 7S spot-beam satellite (due to launch in 2004) to deliver local stations to 30 markets in addition to those previously announced. Or DirecTV will add 30 more national HDTV channels or a combination of the two, reflecting the level of demand and the available bandwidth.

And from this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthr...ht=directv+hdtv

In programming, we will introduce interactivity in sports, news, and other areas. Specially tailored content will downloaded to DVR's. New Channels will be launced for our customers. A new electronic programming guide will have exciting new compabilities. Our high definition programming will incresae by two or three times including the expansion of local HD centent We will agressively expand our international program offerings to compete in those important niches. We are also launching 70 local markets in the next year.

Good luck with your decision.

I think the SD PQ is about the same between the two except for the locals. Locals vary by market and would have to be compared in the individual markets. In Salt Lake they are both crap but DirecTV looks like they have rabbit ears somewhere to pickup the locals - noise and ghosts galore! There is no exuse for this but most people don't care so the providers don't care:(

You know how the 508 works - you may want to go to a local retailer and check out the Tivo software - I didn't think it was a big deal until I used the Tivo software for a few days... Dish is going to have to have name based recording and a working HD PVR before I go back - even though I put PQ on the top of my important item list the other advantages of HD Tivo really out weigh DirecTVs current PQ issues on HD.

If you want OTA and Satellite the 921 sucks - if you just want satellite and can live with occasional reboots and can follow the list of 'do's and don'ts' you may be ok with the 921. The other big disadvantage is no name based recordings (yet) on the 921.

The Tivo interface and features are SO much better than the dish dvr522. I just got dish and played with the dvr for about 5 mins. before I decided to pull it for D* or use my Tivo series 2 on top of the dvr522. Since D* is more expensive with a new Tivo sub, I think I'll use my existing Tivo and use the dvr522 when I have a schedule conflict.

ImSwanee said:
Since D* is more expensive with a new Tivo sub, I think I'll use my existing Tivo and use the dvr522 when I have a schedule conflict.

Have you looked at: http://www.valueelectronics.com/Hughes_tivo.htm ?

For a new sub they show 1 DirecTivo and one or two additional basic STB's for $40, $60 if you want a phase III oval dish, and that's installed.

zubinh said:
Hi all:

I'll be taking the plunge into HDTV soon when my 61" Samsung DLP arrives in a few weeks.

I am confused as to which provider (Dish or Direct) will best suit me. Currently I have Dish with the 508. I want to maximize HDTV viewing. Should I stick with Dish and buy the 921 or should I go to Direct and get the HD Tivo. I'm sure there willl be some new customer incentives for me to do so. But, I'm concerened about the PQ on Direct. I've had Dish for 5 years and I must say the PQ is damn good (in SD anyway). But those Tivo features look better than the 921.

What would you do if you were me??? (Please dont say Voom. We all know that company wont be around much longer, Sorry Voomers). THANKS for your input !!!!!!!!

Zubinh: You don't say what your current TV is but you might have quite an awakening in regards to SD picture quality on your new Samsung DLP. I have the 50" and these sets are unforgiving when it comes to poor quality SD input. I use my 508 for recording and SD viewing and my 811 for HD only. I've managed to tweak my set and make SD viewing tolerable but is took a while.
On the plus side HD on these sets is stunning. Good Luck.

NightRyder

Thanks for the tip rad - I'll check it out.

As if I werent confused enough, NightRyder, you say your SD viewing on your samsung DLP is "tolerable". Have you ever tried SD from Direct? Perhaps that might make it more tolerable??? Currently, I have a run of the mill Sony 61" Rear Projection (KP61S70) and the SD PQ is excellent.

I would hate to pay $4,000 for lower SD PQ.

zubinh said:
Thanks for the tip rad - I'll check it out.

As if I werent confused enough, NightRyder, you say your SD viewing on your samsung DLP is "tolerable". Have you ever tried SD from Direct? Perhaps that might make it more tolerable??? Currently, I have a run of the mill Sony 61" Rear Projection (KP61S70) and the SD PQ is excellent.

I would hate to pay $4,000 for lower SD PQ.

Sorry to add to your confusion ;) I have never seen D* SD on the DLP's but from everything I've read there is not much difference from E*. Here is a link with lot's of discussion and opinion's on the subject.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=394719&highlight=samsung+SD

NightRyder

OK Lets assume I switch to direct from Dish and have a 1 year contract with direct.

Lets say after a few days I realize the PQ is not as good as Dish. Can I get out of Direct without penalty? Is there a grace period where Direct will let you "try it out"? Or am I stuck with Direct from Day 1?

Thanks!

The SD via S-Video on the DLPs is watchable, and actually pretty good when fed through the component or DVI. My 50" DLP also looked quite good via the VGA from my old model 6000.

I have no complaints on the 811's SD picture quality via the HD connections. The SD connections are noticably of a lower quality, but they will do. My other TV's (27" Sony CRTs) have great picture quality via S-video, composite and RF.

About getting out of DirectTV, ask them if they have a buyer's remorse clause like Dish Network has on some products.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)