• Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Liquidforce88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
The Land Of OZ
With gas prices being the way they are, and projected to go as high as $5.00. Many installers are feeling the pain from the pump. What would you customers do if you had a tech roll up in something like this?

Now I know this pic is not very good. But just imagine a decent looking vehicle with Directv logo's. Ladders on the rack. This would get 40MPG.

Attachments

• scan0001_640x480.jpg
    scan0001_640x480.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 193
Considering you posted the same thing in both the Dish and Directv forums, this must be something that you are considering.

If you want to be treated as a professional you should not consider doing this.

Considering you posted the same thing in both the Dish and Directv forums, this must be something that you are considering.

If you want to be treated as a professional you should not consider doing this.

Just looking for customer reaction.

Let's also face the fact that gas is getting very expensive for installers. Driving a vehicle that get's 10 - 12 MPG and driving the major miles that installers do, it adds up in a hurry. Imagine companies like the HSP/RSP that have fleets of vans that are eating $30 dollors and more a day. They are going to start looking for alternatives to save money. When you can cut your fuel cost by 75%, you start to think.

Let's also face the fact that gas is getting very expensive for installers. Driving a vehicle that get's 10 - 12 MPG and driving the major miles that installers do, it adds up in a hurry. Imagine companies like the HSP/RSP that have fleets of vans that are eating $30 dollors and more a day. They are going to start looking for alternatives to save money. When you can cut your fuel cost by 75%, you start to think.
I am really surprised some of these companies haven't turned to the HHR panels.

In my case it has to do with an eye sight issue.....I can't see my ass working for the money offered. And that was before gas went up and the Installation Verification and the "connectivity" cuts. The last installation company I worked for looked at me like I was crazy when I reported I was driving more than working.

I predict the FREE installation will soon slide into the past "good old days."

RE the poll: How would you respond if the tech mentioned during the mandatory pre call to verify the appointment that there would be a fifty dollar surcharge payable to him before the FREE installation could proceed?

Joe

Last edited:

My work van, Ford full size van, a typical week I spend $ 110 on GAS (1 tank of gas a week approx), and going up ....

I predict the FREE installation will soon slide into the past "good old days."

RE the pole: How would you respond if the tech mentioned during the mandatory pre call to verify the appointment that there would be a fifty dollar surcharge payable to him before the FREE installation could proceed?

Do you get your money back if you have a No LOS issue ?
Joe

As for the poll, I think if a guy pulled up in that vehicle, I'd definately ask to see his creds.
Probably send him on his way and have him sign off on the equipment, if possible.

In my case, I would do my own installation , but not everyone can do that.

My work van, Ford full size van, a typical week I spend $ 110 on GAS (1 tank of gas a week approx), and going up ....

same here 03' with 4.2 get's around 10mpg. 30 gal tank$120 to fill up x2 a week or more. Gas is costing me 25% of my gross right now.

We got a guy that putts around in his focus two hatch back. Our upper level Mastec guys don't really like it but he is a good worker. He has a 20' folding ladder inside it. Everything for his daily work fits "perfectly" in his car. No more room in the front seat.

We got a guy that putts around in his focus two hatch back. Our upper level Mastec guys don't really like it but he is a good worker. He has a 20' folding ladder inside it. Everything for his daily work fits "perfectly" in his car. No more room in the front seat.

The 20 ft will not get him to second story roofs. IF he has any kind of road event all the crap jammed inside will hurt him. Ka/Ku dishes are shipped in boxes of five (I think) and even dumping all the cardboard, there can't be enough room for a supply of dishes. poles and receivers. Four bags of concrete seem to be a minimum. Four boxes or rolls of cable seems to be a minimum load.

Denial is not only a river in Egypt. The money doesn't fit the work.

Joe

RE the poll: How would you respond if the tech mentioned during the mandatory pre call to verify the appointment that there would be a fifty dollar surcharge payable to him before the FREE installation could proceed?

I would never pay any money to the installer for a FREE installation. You either tell me that it is not included or do the work without fees. You go down a slippery slope when you start charging for the FREE installation.

same here 03' with 4.2 get's around 10mpg. 30 gal tank$120 to fill up x2 a week or more. Gas is costing me 25% of my gross right now.

Sounds like it might be time for a career change or demand more money for the installations from your company.

I would never pay any money to the installer for a FREE installation. You either tell me that it is not included or do the work without fees. You go down a slippery slope when you start charging for the FREE installation.

Actually that is how it has been since day one,

And my installation routine involved identifying as many possible extra charges as possible in advance. The FREE standard installation is not pretty in many cases. It was payment of custom work fees that balanced the books. As an example; tacking cable to a baseboard is FREE but running cable inside wall cavities is not. Always the customer has the choice.

We are now at the point where someone has to choose to pay for moving the truck up and down the road. As I note the number of commercials on most Directv channels and note Directv profits going up I suggest it is time for Directv to get off some installation cash.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)