What would you do???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Here's what I've got....

Dish 500 @ 110/119
2 811's & 322.
AT 180+locals, + HD pack...."9.99 for 5 chnls, now there's a great deal...NOT!!!"
All equipment is leased.

Anyway...with the current upgrade offerings I'm probably gonna do my 1 upgrade from one 811 to a 211, wait a freakin year then do another. A 211 or 622? I could care less of the record cabability, but it would be nice. I'd probably have to downgrade to the HD Silver, or even Bronze to keep my monthly where it's at. I'm hell-bent on not having to give E* any more of my hard earned money than I already do.:mad:

When I make the call to do the upgrade for $49, do I ask them to add another dish for the 61.5 slot??? I'm in the NE and can't get 129. I know Echosatr X is supposed to go the 110 slot, but how does that help my situation or not?:confused:

So, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Any and all opinions and options are appreciated!:up It's nearly crunch time. What would you do?

Last edited:
My advise would be to go fo the 622 now if you're gonna blow your once a year upgrade now.

You say "I could care less of the record cabability, but it would be nice".

Trust me... having a DVR will change the way you watch TV. Once you have one you will wonder how you lived without one for so long.

I've had a DVR since the 508 first appeared. I thought my 508 and 510 were great until I got the 942. I can record three HD streams (two sat and one OTA) and watch a recorded HD show from the hard drive at the same time.

THe 622 is comparable (and should be faster/better) in performance and has a larger hard drive.

A 622 is going in my HT as soon as possible (and I'm keeping the 942)

What would you do?

I would go for the 622 now, once you have a dvr you won't want to be withiut one. Now, is your dish a "Dish Pro" and what switch do you have? Also compare the price you pay now with that of the Platnum package, you might find that it is close to your present package. The upgrage will include the extra dish at no extra cost.

NOHDjunkie said:
My advise would be to go fo the 622 now if you're gonna blow your once a year upgrade now.

You say "I could care less of the record cabability, but it would be nice".

Trust me... having a DVR will change the way you watch TV. Once you have one you will wonder how you lived without one for so long.

I've had a DVR since the 508 first appeared. I thought my 508 and 510 were great until I got the 942. I can record three HD streams (two sat and one OTA) and watch a recorded HD show from the hard drive at the same time.

THe 622 is comparable (and should be faster/better) in performance and has a larger hard drive.

A 622 is going in my HT as soon as possible (and I'm keeping the 942)

Ok, thanks for the reply, but what about the addition of another dish for 61.5 or whatever???

And how much is it gonna cost for the upgrade to a 622.

I see that the Dishnet.Store doesn't even sell the 211, just the 411 for $349!!!

Last edited:
Dirtydan said:
I would go for the 622 now, once you have a dvr you won't want to be withiut one. Now, is your dish a "Dish Pro" and what switch do you have? Also compare the price you pay now with that of the Platnum package, you might find that it is close to your present package. The upgrage will include the extra dish at no extra cost.

I think so. How can I be sure. I just checked my system info...under device it says DP-Quad-1.

Let me see if I got this straight.

Upgrade 1 of my 811's to a 622. Cost will be $299. Any rebate?? and will cover the second dish and any switches needed?

Last edited:
Jimmy J said:
I think so. How can I be sure. I just checked my system info...under device it says DP-Quad-1.

Let me see if I got this straight.

Upgrade 1 of my 811's to a 622. Cost will be $299. Any rebate?? and will cover the second dish and any switches needed?

Yep, all is included in the $299, no rebate unless upgrading a 921 or 942

Dirtydan said:
Yep, all is included in the $299, no rebate unless upgrading a 921 or 942

Ok Dan. Thanks for the reply. So for $299 I can get the 622, a second dish for 61.5, and any switches that be needed.

Will I then be able to switch out my second 811 for a 211 if I purchase it without any problem/

Jimmy J said:
Ok Dan. Thanks for the reply. So for $299 I can get the 622, a second dish for 61.5, and any switches that be needed.

Will I then be able to switch out my second 811 for a 211 if I purchase it without any problem/

I just sent you a PM, you will not be able to do another upgrade for a year.

You can purchase at full price anything at anytime, the restrictions and rebates are for upgrade prices, but the way Dish is going who the heck knows from minute to minute.

DucTape said:
You can purchase at full price anything at anytime, the restrictions and rebates are for upgrade prices, but the way Dish is going who the heck knows from minute to minute.

You sure have a good point there..

DucTape said:

Hence my question, will I simply be able to throw a 211 into the loop later on after the divorce and having robbed a bank?:D

Jimmy J said:
Hence my question, will I simply be able to throw a 211 into the loop later on after the divorce and having robbed a bank?:D

Funny, yep, you can buy a 211 or wait a year and lease one as a new upgrade.

Dirtydan said:
Funny, yep, you can buy a 211 or wait a year and lease one as a new upgrade.

Curious about the 211 upgrade offer though. Does the $49 dollar fee include a second dish, and switches? Or does it make it$99?

Jimmy J said:
Curious about the 211 upgrade offer though. Does the $49 dollar fee include a second dish, and switches? Or does it make it$99?

From what I have read, that could be either way, not sure . Call Dish and get an Tech or better an HD tech, don't talk to a CSR

Jimmy J said:
Has anyone had any luck so far in getting a 622 upgrade, or are poeple still waiting for the April 1 mark?

They are starting to come now, you should read Scott's review, lots of good stuff there.

Jimmy, I have the set-up you are talking about... a Dish 500 receiving 110/119 and a wing dish for 61.5. I added the wing dish last summer when I bought my 942, in order to get the Voom channels. Since then, I learned I qualified to receive the NY CBS HD feed, and my understanding is that it is only available on 61.5.

My 2 cents is to definately have them install the second dish. They have said that the upgrade prices ($49 for a 211 or $299 for the 622) includes a new dish (either the Dish 1000 or a wing dish for 61.5) as well as switches, etc. So since you are paying for it anyway, I would ask for it!

FWIW, the DVR has changed the way we watch TV. We seldom watch anything live, it's almost all in HD and time shifted so we can skip over the commercials.

KeithInDallas said:
Jimmy, I have the set-up you are talking about... a Dish 500 receiving 110/119 and a wing dish for 61.5. I added the wing dish last summer when I bought my 942, in order to get the Voom channels. Since then, I learned I qualified to receive the NY CBS HD feed, and my understanding is that it is only available on 61.5.

My 2 cents is to definately have them install the second dish. They have said that the upgrade prices ($49 for a 211 or $299 for the 622) includes a new dish (either the Dish 1000 or a wing dish for 61.5) as well as switches, etc. So since you are paying for it anyway, I would ask for it!

FWIW, the DVR has changed the way we watch TV. We seldom watch anything live, it's almost all in HD and time shifted so we can skip over the commercials.

Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to get them to install a second dish for the 61.5 slot, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to get the 622 upgrade for $299 or not. It's gonna gonna be a hard sell for the wife!!!

Jimmy J said:
Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to get them to install a second dish for the 61.5 slot, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to get the 622 upgrade for $299 or not. It's gonna gonna be a hard sell for the wife!!!

I am certainly not one to give advice on buying anything... I'm one of the dummies who bought a 942 seven months ago!! But I will say this... I love the 942. It's been a great machine for us, and I would hate to go back to non-DVR TV land! I get to see the shows I really like, spend less time actually watching them (about 40 minutes for an hour show when skipping the commercials) and it leaves time in my evenings for exercising and getting the chores done. My wife loves it as much as I do, because if one of us runs late in the evening and dinner starts late, she doesn't miss her guilty pleasures. We both get to avoid the shows that one of us likes but the other doesn't; we just watch them when the other is not around. Scott's review makes the 622 sound every bit as good as the 942... probably better.

If I didn't have to upgrade the programming, sign an 18 month commitment, could keep my 942 and send back the leased 811, and only have to pay them $99, then maybe... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)