What would you rather have?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
What would you rather have, better pic quality or interactive channels?

I pick better picture quality.

Sharpie said:
What would you rather have, better pic quality or interactive channels?

I pick better picture quality.

Albany, GA SD LIL.

However, I'm sure I'm in the minority here. Otherwise, while I'm pretty happy on my 50-inch Hitachi and my 20-inch Panasonic, and so-so on my 32-inch widescreen, I would have to vote for better PQ since while I enjoy DirecTV's PQ, it's not like the quality from the early to mid-90's. Besides, the only "Interactive Channel" I ever used was the Weather Channel Interactive, and while I wouldn't mind having that back, I have much better access to the weather thanks to DSL.

~Alan

I know there is always room to improve on something, but the SD PQ on my 65" looks good, the HD looks perfect. The interactives are cute, but local weather is the only thing of real value, and its not on yet. Only having the full interactive software on the D10 is the biggest joke. I want more HD for my money, along with national HD networks for everyone to have without red tape so that the local affiliates cease to exist.

charper1 said:
I want more HD for my money, along with national HD networks for everyone to have without red tape so that the local affiliates cease to exist.

Well, they're launching new satellites this year and in '07 ... and I'm sorry to say the FCC is a governmental agency and does control the networks, so there's not much to be done there. Revamping the FCC sounds like a plan, and an easy one, too! Just look at how quickly the government was able to revamp Air Traffic Control from the computers of the 1960's!

--Elf

Actually the FCC controls the rules for the networks that are publicly traded companies; and it is these rules that have long outlived their time.

You are CORRECT, it is as easy as the FCC informing the networks that local affiliates will cease as of X-date and to move to a national broadcast model.

I don't want to hear any local news, loss of advertising, or local sports and weather info crap from any of the affiliates or their supporters either!

Use your local radios and newspapers where it belongs or start your own private video company to broadcast in your town. Don't hold our national network programming hostage!

I hope D* does not misunderstand, I do appreciate them trying to give their customers more bang for their buck. But I feel that the new interactives are a dud. More picture quality please for those with larger tv's. (>30")

Hopefully as D*, and other providers see how more people have larger tvs and HDTVs, they will reduce compression. SD wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't compressed so much

I dont no much about the technical ability to do this, but how hard would it be to transmit widescreen SD without putting black bars and zooming in

how much bandwidth is interactive taking up? Probably not enough to make a noticeable difference in picture quality

I agree - better SD picture quality. At this point in time, with a new el-cheapo 36" around $400 (and could probably be found cheaper on a good sale) More and more people these days have large TV's as there primary TV.

From what I see people purchasing, most people who purchase a tube-based TV are getting a 36" or a 34" widescreen HD, and an even greater number purchasing HD ready rear projection TV's 50" or larger.

The 27" TV has been relegated to the kids bedrooms now.

I even saw someone today loading up a 36" wega into a geo metro that looked like it had seen better days.

Neither one - I'd like more regular channels, such as Goodlife, Ovation, C-SPAN3 - and MOST certainly MORE premium feeds like HBO Comedy/Zone, the extra Showtimes, etc.

The 3 new "mix" channels are probably the BIGGEST waste of bandwidth next to the shopping channels I've ever seen... :( :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)