What?

WAWS, the FOX affiliate in Jacksonville owned by Cox, changed their calls to WFOX and their sister station, WTEV 47 changed their calls to WJAX. For what ever reason, Fox has kept WNYW for their eastern flagship station. KFOX is the FOX affiliate for El Paso.

Something happened back when murdoch bought channel 5 in NY that prevented them from using those call letters.. I "Think" fox was supposed to be called "FBC" and some lawsuit blocked that from happening..Somebody wanted too much money for WFOX call letters

WFOX was available from the FCC, no body was using it for television prior to Cox applying for the change for WAWS.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Bob...and you'd think KFOX would be LA.

Yeah, would make sense considering the other 3. For what it's worth, KFOX-14 in El Paso has used those calls since 1994.

Call letters are less significant today as local broadcasters (by design of the networks) promote and say "Fox 11; NBC4; CBS2; ABC28" or the three letter NETWORK ID with the channel number immediately following. I doubt most people know the true call letters of their local stations today.

Some station owners seem to be using them again, WIAT here in Birmingham was CBS 42 forever, now that Lin has had the station for a while they are WIAT 42. Same thing with the Fox affiliate when it was a Fox O&O, naturally was "Fox 6" since being taken over by Raycom about 5 years ago, now it goes by "WBRC Fox 6."

WAWS, the FOX affiliate in Jacksonville owned by Cox, changed their calls to WFOX and their sister station, WTEV 47 changed their calls to WJAX. For what ever reason, Fox has kept WNYW for their eastern flagship station. KFOX is the FOX affiliate for El Paso.
Before Ch5 in NYC was purchased by FOX, the call letters were WNEW- TV owned by Metromedia which also owned ironically WNEW- AM and WNEW-FM. WNEW-TV 5 was the second stattion in the US to air a 10PM newscast, beating the competitors buy one hour..
I guess to avoid confusion the new owners simply went with WNYW-TV

Call letters are less significant today as local broadcasters (by design of the networks) promote and say "Fox 11; NBC4; CBS2; ABC28" or the three letter NETWORK ID with the channel number immediately following. I doubt most people know the true call letters of their local stations today.
Per FCC regulations all TV and Radio stations, within 10 minutes of the top of each hour must identify by call letters followed by the city of license. That is the ONLY acceptable format.
A station may not use their moniker( "This is Fox Five TV")....

Before Ch5 in NYC was purchased by FOX, the call letters were WNEW- TV owned by Metromedia which also owned ironically WNEW- AM and WNEW-FM. WNEW-TV 5 was the second stattion in the US to air a 10PM newscast, beating the competitors buy one hour..
I guess to avoid confusion the new owners simply went with WNYW-TV[/QUOTE

If you take one step back from this time you will find that WNEW use to be the flagship station for the DuMont TV network. They went under in the 1950s since most of the stations were on UHF. Fox basically purchased that system. Though it was claimed to be a new network it really was the reactivation of the infer structure created by DuMont. The original call were WABD

WFXT in Boston was bought by FOX before the New York affiliate. The call letters stand for FOX Television. I believe that WFOX and KFOX were radio station call signs in use for a long time.

No

The original WFOX in the FCC data base was assigned to Atlanta it was from 1972-2006 Until the FCC Added suffixes -fm -TV -am there was only one WFOX which was a FM station called the fox. Since the FCC added suffixes in 2009 most of existing station had calls It was from 2009 that the FCC recognized -TV and allow WFOX-TV to be available

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts