What's a Good OTA Antenna for these results?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Muckrak3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Texas
Okay, I ran the antennaWeb deal and this is what it says:

red - uhf KTVT - DT 11.1 CBS FORT WORTH TX 198° 57.619*

blue - uhf KERA - DT 13.1 PBS DALLAS TX 198° 57.614*

blue - uhf KXAS - DT 5.1 NBC FORT WORTH TX 199° 57.541*

blue - uhf KDAF - DT 33.1 CW DALLAS TX 198° 60.032*

violet - vhf WFAA - DT 8.1 ABC DALLAS TX 200° 57.89*

CBS, PBS, NBC, and ABC are the only ones I am really interested in getting, but I would be okay even with just 2 out of the major 3 networks. I have the 722 DVR and occasionally run into recording conflicts with the 2 tuners, and would like a 3rd tuner for those crunch times. I seriously doubt that there is an indoor antenna that will work at these distances, but I also don't feel like spending the time, $, and effort on mounting an outdoor one if i don't have to. Any suggestions are appreciated!

edit: I read up on the CM4228 on Ebay and it says it only picks up UHF reception, and only on channels 14-69. Almost all these channels are lower than that range.....

Okay, I ran the antennaWeb deal and this is what it says:

You deleted from the post the actual RF channel that those stations are on. I know that WFAA is VHF channel 9. The others are likely UHF. The 4228 performance on channel 9 is so-so. You could start with a 4228 and add a Y10-7-13 if you find it necessary.

My only concern is that is says UHF channels 14-69. What am I missing? The only one in that range is KDAF.

you don't uneratand muck. Many of those digital channels are really on UHF. In my are the digital version of Ch 4 is broadcast from 48. The signal just contains data that telsls my receiver that it is 4.1, 4.2 etc.

you don't uneratand muck. Many of those digital channels are really on UHF. In my are the digital version of Ch 4 is broadcast from 48. The signal just contains data that telsls my receiver that it is 4.1, 4.2 etc.

thanks - I was wondering what was going on! I do understand the difference between UHF and VHF, and the bandwidth and signals associated with each, and how the curvature of the Earth is used to assist in transmitting these types of signals beyond 30 miles, but I didn't get that the channel #'s were masked!

I would not count on a 4228 pulling in channel 9 at nearly 60 miles.

I would use a stack of two antennas, for UHF an Antennas Direct 91XG, and for VHF a WInegard YA-1713. Combing them with a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp. It has descrete UHF and VHF inputs.

Mount it just as high as you possibly can.

If the price of the 91XG is too much (est.$120 with shipping), you can substitue a CM4228 ($75 with shipping) for it, but the 4228 has a lot more weight and a lot more wind loading.

I use a CM 4228 antenna + CM7777 v/u preamp for great UHF, as well as these distant VHF channels:
9 @ 45 mi digital
10 @ 70 mi analog
13 @ 45 mi analog
And occasionally channel 8 analog from >100mi. 8 of course, is snowy at that distance, but the others are great.

Muckracker, this antenna+preamp setup should work well for you.

I use a CM 4228 antenna + CM7777 v/u preamp for great UHF, as well as these distant VHF channels:
9 @ 45 mi digital
10 @ 70 mi analog
13 @ 45 mi analog
And occasionally channel 8 analog from >100mi. 8 of course, is snowy at that distance, but the others are great.

Muckracker, this antenna+preamp setup should work well for you.

thx - how hard is it to mount and feed the coax to the 722? I really am not a huge DIY kind of guy.

It would be impossible to answer that without seeing where/how you want to install the antenna.

You basically mount the antenna on a suitable pole (for example: a DS-3000), ground the mast, run the coax to a ground block continue into the house to the 722 and connect the coax to the antenna jack on the back of the DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts