Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
After reading Jeff's post about the Manhattan last week I am unsure if I will ever see a fix for my situation. My setup is not that complex, just a 8 food C/KU band dish with a WSI 721 LNB.

The 721 LNB uses 22 KHz switching. In motorized mode the Manhattan does not control the 22 Khz switch.

I also have a BSC-621-2 which uses DISEQC 1.0 switching. as Jeff said they are planning on supporting 1.1 switching on the Manhattan but not 1.0.

So because of my setup with both of these LNB's I can fully use them with my Manhattan.

I would rather keep using the WSI 721 as both my C Band and KU band signal levels are much better then the BSC-621. So it is my understanding that the OpenBox and works well with both of these LNB's.

So my question now is which is better the OpenBox S9 or the Openbox S10? I dont really care about the clock (since it doesnt work anyways) is there anything else missing from the S10 over the S9?

I am thinking about going with the S9 but since the S10 is newer maybe its better?

Whats your thoughts guys.

Thanks!

Hi Scott,
I've been pondering the same thing, especially considering the cost vs feature differences. Regarding the DISEQC issue, I'm not sure, but I think I understood that DISEQC protocols are "backwardly compatible" within it set. IOW, any 1.X (X being >0) enabled system is built on 1.0 commands, same goes for the 2.X commands, and all 2.X will talk to 1.X devices but not the other way around....as least that's what I thought I understood. Perhaps the issue is easily addressable in a FW revision. Let's hope so, crippling a used feature in a product seems self destructive from a marketing point of view.

From what I've found, it looks like the S10 is a mini version of the S9 with FW that fixes the clock issue and HDMI connector support. At least that's the difference I've read.
I'm leaning to get an S10 anyway, the price is right. My concern is, how to tell if it is a clone or a genuine model. Any input on that?....anyone?
I do understand the logic behind clone killing FW, but there can be a downside to the innocent consumer as well. I only hope they arnt considered "collateral damage" as has happened in the passed.

BTW, I'm guessing you can use your mod panel to fix your typo above even after the post edit feature timeout.....

It's good to be the King...lol

I would purchase the Openbox S10 from (HMS), because they always provided me with great service. However, they are currently out of stock. I plan on purchasing one before the end of the year. I LOVE my Openbox S9 receiver.

differences
S10 is way smaller than S9 (about 1/2 the size)
S9 has component output...S10 doesnt
S9 has Euro plug...S10 has US plug (some S9's have a US plug)
S9 the menus go down the side, S10 they go across the top

From what I've found, it looks like the S10 is a mini version of the S9 with FW that fixes the clock issue and HDMI connector support. At least that's the difference I've read.

What is wrong with the HDMI connector? do you mean for just connecting to your TV? If so, this is the only way I've had my S9 connected since I got it half a year ago.
No problem.

HMS is Hypermegasat.

I have ordered from Casey before and they shipped quick! No problems with them at all.

What is wrong with the HDMI connector? do you mean for just connecting to your TV? If so, this is the only way I've had my S9 connected since I got it half a year ago.
No problem.

I dont know what (if any) issues there are supposed to be with the HDMI connector. I was relaying something I read.
Sorry. I suppose I could have worded it better though....

Good to hear about your success and satisfaction with your 9's. What do you know of the differences with the remotes?
V3, V4, V5 etc.
The place I posted hosting the link for the manual offers a "bonus" of some sort being some A/V conversion, editing, PVR type SW that apparently is tailored to the S10. One thing that peaked my interest was the claim to "record" 4:2:2, then play it back presumably over the computer in near real time.
I remember reading some discussion on this possibility for the AZBox, et al, but never took the time to look into it any further.
Intriguing to say the least.

As to the HDMI connector. I used to have timing problems on an Azbox with my HDMI connector. Consequently, I always prefer to have component outputs , in addition, to guarantee HD output. That , to me, gives the S9 an edge over the S10 . I love redundancy ! :)

I have the s10 and my neighbor has the s9 so I have seen them both in action. I would go with the s10 unless you just gotta have comp. out. They both work real well excellent tuner, very sensitive and quick. The only thing is he seems to have more probs with firmware on HD on his s9.(we haven't figured that one out yet, could just be a flaw with that one box). In fact my neighbor just ordered a S10. I have not confirmed but he told me they have a new version of the s10 with a replaceable tuner and a sat lock light on front. Guess I will see when he gets it.

I sent an email to Hypermegasat and asked when the S10 would be back in stock and Casey replied that it will be back in stock next week, and the cost will likely be $120.00 free ship in the US.

Edit: I just checked Hypermegasat website and the S9 is $124.00 with free shipping, I thought the S10 was around $100.00 most places. Curious..

Last edited:
The only place I have seen them around $100 is eBay. Maybe that is where people are getting that price. Every where else I look they are 120 and up. I even seen one place and don't remember where now, but I remember it said $179 on sale, I remembering literally laughing out loud.:D

After reading Jeff's post about the Manhattan last week I am unsure if I will ever see a fix for my situation. My setup is not that complex, just a 8 food C/KU band dish with a WSI 721 LNB.

The 721 LNB uses 22 KHz switching. In motorized mode the Manhattan does not control the 22 Khz switch.
I assume you mean a WSI 741 lnb? I cannot find a 721 listed.

The Manhattan does control a 22KHz switch in the motorized mode if you use the Universal lnb settings.
Any Manhattan firmware will control a WSI 741 lnb in the motorized mode but either the c or ku transponder frequencies will be off, depending on which universal setting is used.
Some of the beta test firmware was supposed to have universal settings of 5150/10600 & 5150/10750. These settings were added specifically for the c/ku combination lnbs. You may check with somebody that has the latest Manhattan firmware and see if these settings actually work or if they have been deleted.

The diseqc 1.0 BSC-621-2 may also be used with universal lnb settings if you disable the internal diseqc switch and install an external 22KHz switch.

I prefer the S9 because it has more room in the cabinet. The S10 has pc boards stacked on top of each other in a tight enclosure and I do not like that. GregH

i love my s9,
heres a quick look at some pros and cons about it:)

pros,
rock solid stable
the media player will play mp3 and mp4 files from usb
does dvb s2 8psk h264 mpeg4 and decodes ac3 audio
22khz diseqc 1.0 1.1 1.2 and usals
ps or ts recording (ts will play directly with vlc or on an azbox)
excellent picture
fast and accurate blindscan
simple to set up and use
cheap to buy

cons,
clock dont work
no manual pid input
no 4:2:2 without recording and playing back on the computer
slow to bring up a picture when first powered up

overall, i consider it to be the best investment i have made into this hobby so far.
i have not tried an s10 yet, but heard they fixed the clock in it.

Last edited:
Pros? The S-10 is small, and installed fairly easily. It's stable where the scanning and selections are concerned. GREAT picture via HDMI. Many features for the price despite:

Cons: Somewhat more "clunky" than others for some functions like selecting favorites. Also, if youi're recording, a small red "REC" stays on the screen about 3/4 of the way up the right side at all times, superimposed in your picture. My particular unit won't shut off from the remote completely, even with NO recording device connected, and only shuts down the front panel, requiring a full shut down/reboot from the rear switch.

The biggest "con" in the pros and cons? The "mystery" surrounding which firmware comes from whom, what FW works on models 9, 10, either, both, or neither, and whose boxes are "legit" even from trusted sellers. Its almost like this little box (which does much for the price) has some "smoke and mirrors" and few answers when it comes to bug fixes. Not as easy to find info as, say, Pansat, etc, even for "power users" of this site. It's like some info on this box is the world's biggest secret.

I guess ebay probably was where I saw them for around $100.00. $120.00 shipped does sound reasonable considering thats about what I paid for my Mercury 2 a few years ago.

I have the s10 and my neighbor has the s9 so I have seen them both in action. I would go with the s10 unless you just gotta have comp. out. They both work real well excellent tuner, very sensitive and quick. The only thing is he seems to have more probs with firmware on HD on his s9.(we haven't figured that one out yet, could just be a flaw with that one box). In fact my neighbor just ordered a S10. I have not confirmed but he told me they have a new version of the s10 with a replaceable tuner and a sat lock light on front. Guess I will see when he gets it.
Does the S10 support manual pid input?

No it doesn't but the few that you will need to do that with, i just use the channel editing software. I have only needed it once though and that was with the cw mux on 91W.

Well folks looks like I will be sticking with my Manhattan.

I was lucky enough to be sent a copy of the upcoming firmware and the Universal LNB 5150 / 10750 works on my LNB. I am now getting C/KU from my dish for the first time!

The way it works is when you scan it scans both C and KU band. Of course this slows down the Blindscan greatly... for some reason it scans 1 - 46% nice and fast then seems to get stuck for about 5 - 10 minutes at 47% - 49% however once your past that hump it then scans the KU side... If they could get rid of that 5 - 10 minute delay from 47 - 49% it would be great!

Other then the delay I am happy... (well I till want it to display the channel info, as in scanning I am finding quite a few channels that are no on any lists and I can't report them as i dont know if they are DVB / DVB-S2 or DBS-S2 8PSK.)

This is a nice step forward!

Status
Please reply by conversation.