What's Dish's solution for this? I'm going cable!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DishSatUser

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2662

I can finally "build" the HTPC system that tunes HD Premium and PPV content with my PC. I've wanted my central home server to be able to do this for a while.

Actually, we'll still be waiting for the Windows Vista piece, but that's this winter or spring and then Cable will have a new technology that Sat doesn't.

Do you think Dish will develop a similar technology for HTPC enthusiasts for their service? Note: This technology ties into your CableCard subcription with your provider and is for "paid" content, couldn't Dish do the same so that the encryption technology is still safe but give the ability to controll the tunner from the PC?

True, Directv is working towards doing the same as discussed at CES with intel and the viiv technology.

When I can finally watch or record HD from dish on my computer, will be a wonderful day.

WITHOUT HACKING ANYTHING

I fully expect Haupange to release a stand alone HDTV capture card for the PC sooner then Dish offers true MPeg4 encoding. With the software thats currently available for controlling both Digital Cable Boxes and Satellite boxes from a HTPC you wouldn't need a card designed specifically for Satellite. And since the main two DBS companies use different encryption schemes, I doubt a dedicated one will appear unless one of them sales it.

But it does look like ATI may beat everyone to market with a WHQL certified card for Vista (even if its for cable only) which may hurt other card makers sales.

The only thing that looks to be a con on the ATI card if it functions as good as the article claims is you have to actually run a USB 2.0 cable to a external USB port even on the internal or have a 2.0 header on the board. With more and more mother boards having more PCI-X slots available I can't under stand why they aren't offering a PCI version. The Ethernet port, as long as its capable of Gigabyte LAN connection, is also nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)