Whats everybody timesifting on the OpenBox?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

odinbear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
central NY
How many of you guys with FTA Receivers hooked up the External Drive for Timeshifting of Programming and what shows are being timeshifted.
I was over a friends house last week and his cable had "shows on demand" (basically timeshifted programming, correct?). We watched like 4 episodes of Storage Wars. Is this what the timeshifting feature capable of?

I'm still learning the quirks of it. I set up a recording of a movie at 3am my wife wanted. But I fell asleep listening to a radio channel and at 3am it switched to the sat I wanted, but still in the radio mode, no recording at all. I do use the jump back feature all the time when i miss something or want instant replay. Works fine.

Jim

timeshifting is basically the ability to record a program or if you are watching a program you can go back (timeshift) as far as you have been on that channel.

Now if you tune in at 3:12 you cant go back to 3:00 when the show started to view ;)

what you described above is video on demand which is different

timeshifting is basically the ability to record a program or if you are watching a program you can go back (timeshift) as far as you have been on that channel.

Now if you tune in at 3:12 you cant go back to 3:00 when the show started to view ;)

what you described above is video on demand which is different

Odin,

Yes, you are confusing the concepts of TIMESHIFTing and VOD.

As Ice stated, TIMESHIFTING is basically a RECORDing option where you are allowed to actually PLAY, PAUSE, REWIND and F-FORWARD while the recording is still underway.

You can only REWIND to the point where you started the TIMESHIFT recording and you can only F-FORWARD up to point where the programs transmission is currently at (live).

It is a nice feature, so you can pause a program and answer the phone or the door or nature's call and then resume the program where you left.

The VOD is more akin to picking a video on YouTube with your PC, but now the video (program) is being sent to you via the satellite downlink.

RADAR

Last edited:
I have a Polaroid 2100G DVR with built in burner that has served me well. But it will not time-shift OTA (No ATSC Tuner) or my Roku, just my Viewsat Ultra. Been looking at them S9 rigs...

I have a converter box, but it is SD and I'd really like to have a S9 type FTA receiver with OTA tuner and time-shift everything. Anybody know of one?

I have a Viewsat Ultra (C/Ku 6.5' motorized dish), Roku XDS (this is for video on demand), and a VU-190 OTA antenna that is about 15 years old. I am also building a HTPC (have it, needs a video card upgrade) to handle all streaming video from the net.

My time-shifting options just suck compared to what I used to be able to do before the digital change and HD and all coming.

What is everyone else using? S9?

Who makes the OpenBox? I can't seem to find a website. I want to check these out, with information from the producer.

Sometimes we use the recording feature on satellite receivers such as the Openbox to archive programs or broadcasts that we want to keep a copy of. It is not always about timeshifting, but timeshifting can be one of the benefits of using a receiver that has a recording function. I still haven't gotten around to hooking up my Openbox (!!!!), but hopefully will later today. I am anxious to find out if the timeshift file the receiver creates on the hard drive can be saved in a similar way as the one the Visionsat creates can be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)