What's New and cool at CES

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
So, I have been walking the floor at CES today; both at the Sands and at the convention center. Looking for the newest and coolest stuff. So far, nothing has really floored me. That said, there were a few things that have struck me so far:

1) The in-thing for tvs is THIN and eco-friendly in terms of power consumption. Samsung had a LCD that was an inch thick. They also had some really cool OLED very thin displays. SONY had an eco-friendly version of the Bravia LCD series; that consumes 40% less power than the current ones.

They also had a sensor on the display that detects motion, and will shut the display off in 5, 10, or 30 minutes; and has the ability to shut of the display but keep the audio on, if you leave the room. That was fairly impressive.

2) I have yet to find a consumer gadget that causes me to go wow.

I have to admit I am still in the early stages of looking at stuff, but that is my initial reactions. Will upload some pictures later and continue to react to stuff.

BBC America news was covering some neat new break through stuff in laser televisions, 3D ready and projectors. One to use with your iPhone for viewing and presentations.

How do these things look to you all there?

BBC America news was covering some neat new break through stuff in laser televisions, 3D ready and projectors. One to use with your iPhone for viewing and presentations.

How do these things look to you all there?

It is on dfergie and my list for tomorrow to see the 3D stuff.

Yeah, be sure to check out that Panasonic Full 3d HD Theatre. I saw a video of it on cnet and the guy was speechless saying out outrageously cool it was. They have a 3d blu ray of the opening olympic ceremony and he was saying how you could see each individual person of the thousands performing.

OK, I put this here rather than the "what would like like to see", as that was pre CES and much of this is based on what I saw on Cnet.

Plenty of stuff I said 'cool" but know I probably will never buy.

A few general things I want to see now:
Budget HD camcorders (I’ve seen plenty, but they ain’t cheap)
Budget Blu Ray players (I think I heard of some sub-$200 models). Particularly with advanced features, like Netflix streaming?
New Palm OS: Any competition for the iPhone or Android?

Also, here as some products either with good applications, or I might actually consider buying:
Verizon intros on-the-go DVR programming | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs (Sounds like like Sling competition for Fios users)
Panasonic SC-TZ1: wireless, ultra-slim speaker system | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs
Chumby grows up, dates Samsung | Webware - CNET
Silicon Image introduces next-gen home AV wireless networking technology: LiquidHD | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs (sounds like another future alternative for Dish to get HD to TV2)
Kodak ultrasupermegazoom | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs (interested in what kind of manual controls it has. Might be a good SLR alternative)
A few iPod/iPhone accessories I'd consider getting
Griffin Navigate is more than just an iPhone remote | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs (I always though they were missing something by not having an FM radio)
iHome announces iP71 computer speakers with integrated iPhone and iPod dock | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs
iLuv announces iHD171 HD clock radio with iPod/iPhone dock | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs
A few good ideas from Garmin:
Garmin introduces lifetime map-update program | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs
Garmin gets eco-friendly with new routing option | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs
And the most basic of all
Organize your corner with ezGear's new power extender | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs

have you seen this real guitar hero by disney. where you use a real guitar and actually learn how to play the song as you play the game? watched a video on it this morning. looks pretty cool.

Coolest thing I've seen this year (outside of the 922 Dish receiver) is the 6mm thin LED TV from Samsung.

I couldn't believe it, the thing is flat out tiny. Except the screen size - 83"

Hard to believe.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    667.7 KB · Views: 502
have you seen this real guitar hero by disney. where you use a real guitar and actually learn how to play the song as you play the game? watched a video on it this morning. looks pretty cool.

I missed that. Would have liked to see it, but I don't even have any recollection of a Disney booth. But the place is so large it is impossible to see everything.

A new software that will be definitly on my list to buy as soon as it is released is the image video stabilization and enhancement software.
Most of you have seen crime investigation shows where they enhance fuzzy video from a security camera or cell phone camera and zoom in on an area, blow it up then clarify it to read a license plate number off the reflection of another car's polished paint. Well it is now available, both commercial version which is quite expensive and a low end consumer version. The low end only has 2x zoom while the expensive version is 16x. This product is amazing. It does require a high end computer to process the video in a reasonable time period but works just like it is shows on CSI, and other crime investigation shows.

My notes from CES

I had a chance to use the Sony motion sensor - works (it's mounted on top of display) like the ones you see on CSI show, fun to use but I don't know what retail cost will be. I also liked Panasonic remote that shows on screen with a hand held unit - works somewhat like i-touch interface (i.e. expend item, change item by finger motion on hand held unit.

For TVs thin and power saving features seem to be hot, also LEDs. Samsung had them in 600, 700, 800 series along side LCDs 600, 700, 800 series. They also had side by side 60, 120, 240 hz sets. With all the TVs each manufacture had I lost track. Not many hand outs available. Each upgrade looks a little better than the prior one but at some point ....... I did not see but heard about a 480 Hz TV.

Intel had Gateway and Dell I7 chip units (HP said wait until April for theirs). For the editing program I tried I got noticeable faster graphics generation and video editing (no surprise) than the quads chip units. But as prices are not quoted so I don't know the cost - but I really want the I7 chip for my video editing.

Saturday, I found a must have gadget in a little booth at the Sands. It's the World's smallest camcorder.

It records video in DV AVI format 29.97 fps, 640x480. Stores it on an SD Micro chip 2Gb (comes with) up to 8Gb size. The sound is mono. Asiode from micro SD storage, it can be connected via live USB 2.0 cable to your laptop with included software like a web cam. The quality is pretty good in low light level

Attachments

• WorldsSmallestCamcorder.jpg
    WorldsSmallestCamcorder.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 413
I am trying to decide what the coolest thing I saw was - and it wasn't a gadget; instead it was just seeing a beta of some actual BD-Live content that extends the BD player from far beyond a player. I wishI hadsomething coolerto say I saw,but I just didn't.

But the place is so large it is impossible to see everything.

The coolest thing i saw this year was a wireless home audio system that actually won an award Last Year. It was made by Soundolier. One speaker was in a Hunter Ceiling fan and it also had wireless sub. Really sounded Great. I think it only has one input and i could see that a problem. The salesman was telling me just unplug one think and plug another one into it.

Soundolier&reg | Integrated Wireless Technologies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts